The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Tricks for 11 y.o niece interested in magic? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Danny Jay
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
15 Posts

Profile of Danny Jay
Hey All.

I first started practising magic when I was around 12 or 13 years old. I remember being very demotivated when I struggled to get moves such as DL's down for a long time, and I unfortunately almost gave up very early on. Luckily I worked through it and now, at 22, I'm going strong.

My niece has told me she would love to learn, and she does seem genuinely interested in developing a skill. So I've promised her that so long as she puts in the practice, I will always be willing to help.

I would love to help her get started easier than I did. I think the best way to do that is to start off with some simple, self-working tricks with little to no sleight of hand which will allow her to get an immediate result and teach her to develop stage presence early on without having to focus on hiding a lot of dirty work.

Unfortunately, now that I'm pretty technically skilled with cards, I don't know that many self working tricks anymore besides maybe o-- of -h-- world and would love some ideas.

Thank you for your time.
- Danny
Some people find it easy to say "Hi!"
I found it easier to say "Hi! pick a card."
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4263 Posts

Profile of Sixten
Try buying (from Dover Publications) Mr. Karl Fulves' 'Easy-To-Do Card Tricks for Children'.

Smile
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8307 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
My book, THE MAGIC BOOK, has done "good" for many young, interested in magic, children.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
Harry Lorayne's Magic Book is a great choice, I second it.

Since your niece is eleven, not eight or six, I think she'd old enough to bypass books written strictly for kids. So in addition to the Lorayne book, I would recommend Royal Road to Card Magic, Scarne on Card Tricks, The Magic Encyclopedia (Hugard), any Bob Longe book except for "Mystifying Card Tricks" (it's just my taste, mind you, I just think it's a very poor collection), any of the Karl Fulves books on self-workers (I strongly believe that the first one, which says "72 foolproof miracles..." on the cover, is the best of his bunch), anything written by Joshua Jay, and 101 Clever Card tricks by Cara Frost Sharratt (which is certainly a pedestrian book by the standards of this board, but which also contains more than enough to fool the crap out of laymen). None of the recommendations I added to that of the Lorayne book are going to get her on Penn & Teller: Fool Us, but let's face it - she's eleven and a beginner.

With the Scarne and Hugard books (including Royal Road), I would urge you to tell her not to take the suggested patter as gospel and instead come up with phrasing she's comfortable with and which would sound natural coming from her. A lot of patter in these books is way too stuffy to be coming from a kid of eleven, or so I believe anyway. Have her go through these books, pick tricks she likes and is comfortable with, and test drive them on you.

If you would like a few recooemdations as to which tricks she might start with, see my post in this thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=206
Koheleth
View Profile
New user
New York
11 Posts

Profile of Koheleth
I am often at my local magic shop when kids of a similar age come in with this question. I like to steer them to stripper decks, they are more versatile then other self-working gaffs like invisible decks or Svengali decks. You also can't go wrong with sponge balls and a simple book. For the more ambitious kids, a Coins through Table with an expanded quarter shell is not difficult to learn and opens up the possibilities of using a shell. For the little ones self-working is going to be the name of the game. Also, help them understand that practice is key.
Koheleth
View Profile
New user
New York
11 Posts

Profile of Koheleth
Also, "Big Magic for Little Hands" by Joshua Jay is great.
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
There is plenty to choose from. In addition to what has been given, Karl Fulves has other self-working card and general magic books put out by Dover. I love Scarne on Card Tricks and plenty of Nick Trost material would fit the bill. Joshua Jay has Joshua Jay's Amazing Book of Cards: Tricks, Shuffles, Stunts & Hustles Plus Bets You Can't Lose that comes with a DVD.

One important point, and I'm sure you have thought of this, is to do the trick for her before she learns it so she can understand the experience of magic before having the curtain pulled back and the actions seem so ordinary.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Tricks for 11 y.o niece interested in magic? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL