The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dictionary Test ; Is this possible ? (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
Hello spectrahue!

Yes, it is definitely possible. Just sent a PM with a few ideas.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
MichaelCGM- After reading your last post I realized that I agree with you. I should have just PMd him with the info.

Just goes to show that we all make an occasional mistake.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18821 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:

Said the dalek climbing off the dustbin...
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
spectrahue
View Profile
Regular user
Leicestershire
160 Posts

Profile of spectrahue
Well there is nothing like putting the cat among the pigeons ; is there ?

Firstly let me put things straight ......the routine I refer to at the outset post a basi version of my own ....its the way I do it ...my own dictionary my own patter etc. This is the way I felt a thought reader should be able to do it ...cleanly and I don't want to tread on anyone's toes so was checking out what is out there because so far I can't get any cleaner than mine. (Carlyles ? not sure yet ...)

I ask for other sources to ensure I am not duplicating the wheel ...I made it 2 years ago had the idea 4 years ago simply because I could not find what I was looking for. every time I made a purchase I felt cheated somehow by the description and what you could do with it.

Mine is as it states above ........... I forgot to mention that you can perform it for 2 people at the same time with same hands off bit , separate pages etc. I shared the idea with Devin Knight and sent him 2 last year ....in an attempt to find the answer to my quest. He replied back saying it was very well made but he could not use it because the words were too small; (it is a pocket dictionary ....) some people hey ! For me my eyesight is like a hawk and I can see those words clear as day when I need to ...........

So far all the ones mentioned above that I viewed details and performances of (aside from Bobs) don't quite fit the description as cleanly as it reads.

profile .....

I am 43 years of age and been into magic since the age of 7 (Paul Daniels and Wayne Dobson fan through and through)
I have been a member on here long before 2010 but lost my log in details through computer error and my old posts are still on here.
I am an engineer, busy Teacher , Welding Inspector, full time Dad and immensely busy but always have a passion for magic. I perform infrequently due to the above commitments however I am aware that at some point I will break out of these restrictions and give myself more freedom to pursue my real love of magic.
In the mean time to ensure my sanity I plunged myself into with what little free time I had creating reading / researching and creating effects for my own persona. Some are still not quite right but I will get them there ....

I enjoy the forum and there is a lot to read ......it takes time to post so I appreciate those that do ...and now I sharing my insights and thoughts with you

so please rest assured I have took on board your comments and hopefully cleared the air a little.

best wishes Nic
http://www.magentalist.droppages.com/

A.N.T , Bookworm , 50 Shades Blue, Heads I Win Positvely
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18821 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I would be interested in it if you ever released it, as most other dictionaries and thesaurus based word tests are U.S. specific...i know I can explain it away, but it would be nice to have an English one...
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2284 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Loved our chat in PM, Nic - and loved your profile above. You need to put that on your Café profile page. It's really great, the way you said it. Smile
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2284 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
MichaelCGM- After reading your last post I realized that I agree with you. I should have just PMd him with the info.

Not necessarily a mistake, Bob - just an opportunity to express differing perspectives. I'm sure that you've changed my mind on a few things as well, over the years. Smile
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

Mifune
View Profile
Loyal user
Spain
261 Posts

Profile of Mifune
I like how this disagreement took place. Thank you.
FoggFactor
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
189 Posts

Profile of FoggFactor
I see your point Michael and although I don't fully agree, I do understand the concern. But by only PM'ing information to the OP and not answering the question, we are helping ONE individual. By answering his question in the public forum, we are creating a resource for future users who use the search feature to answer their questions. It is frustrating to filter through ten posts about a topic and none of them have any answers, I'm sure you've been there.

I used personal judgement based on his profile to provide an answer. If Penny is only meant to be a resource for beginners, why don't we make 5 or so threads with beginner information, lock the those threads and then explain when they get 50 posts they can discuss serious mentalism in the private forums. We do the same thing in other forums. Magician asks about a card trick and 8-10 magicians weigh in to share all the knowledge they have about that plot. Books, DVDs, products, websites, prices and so on.

I get where you are coming from. And like Mifune mentioned, that you for handling this discussion waaaaaay better than anyone else would have.

Just my thoughts on it.

- Frank
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I thought I handled it pretty well, too. Smile
Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

Profile of Stu Montgomery
Spectrahue
"...Wayne Dobson fan through and through." In that case you've got my vote Smile
"Round about what is, lies a whole mysterious world of might be" Longfellow.
FoggFactor
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
189 Posts

Profile of FoggFactor
Quote:
I thought I handled it pretty well, too. Smile

Proud of you Bob. I'll see you at Mindvention and buy you a drink!
spectrahue
View Profile
Regular user
Leicestershire
160 Posts

Profile of spectrahue
Hi folks, once again thanks fro the great response and I assume from the post posts that the air is clear. I see why the concerned post originated and was merely an act to defend the Art ...In hindsight It should maybe have been posed differently however I would argue that with most careers there is merit in the form of Qualification which is gained through experience, knowledge, passion for the career and an exam or test of some description.

If the test of someone's Integrity to the Art of Magic is based upon the number of posts alone then there are a lot of people out there like myself who won't hit the mark but have lots to share. Surely a better approach rather than (50 posts plus) would be for the candidate to give answers to Magical dilemmas ,scenarios or problems which cover the Art in an Holistic manner.

For example; Please answer to the best of your knowledge and understanding one of the following.

. How can Time Travel be demonstrated using a standard deck of cards with 1 gaff ?
. Explain mis direction
. Name a principal in Magic / Mentalism and give an example of its use.
. Explain the difference between Impromptu , Self Worker and Set up
. True or false ? in Magic Pasteboard terminology ..Changing your top in public will alarm the crowd ? Give your reasons ........

This is surely much more interesting for both parties and will draw upon the candidates experience and knowledge to provide an answer. The answer of course would then be subjected to feedback rating and so long as the answer meets a relatively good standard they would be free to mix with the Gods of the Art.

After all you don't want to Alienate all and sundry because they have very few posts ....

just a thought ...............What do you think ?

Best Wishes Nic

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18821 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I agree, but in reality, I don't think the Café is set up to go through each application...the now defunct Learned Pig would ask for an original presentation as part of the joining up - I always thought that was good...
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Every forum I've ever run has used those kinds of application questions.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2284 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2015, spectrahue wrote:
Hi folks, once again thanks fro the great response and I assume from the post posts that the air is clear. I see why the concerned post originated and was merely an act to defend the Art ...In hindsight It should maybe have been posed differently however I would argue that with most careers there is merit in the form of Qualification which is gained through experience, knowledge, passion for the career and an exam or test of some description.

If the test of someone's Integrity to the Art of Magic is based upon the number of posts alone then there are a lot of people out there like myself who won't hit the mark but have lots to share. Surely a better approach rather than (50 posts plus) would be for the candidate to give answers to Magical dilemmas ,scenarios or problems which cover the Art in an Holistic manner.

For example; Please answer to the best of your knowledge and understanding one of the following.

. How can Time Travel be demonstrated using a standard deck of cards with 1 gaff ?
. Explain mis direction
. Name a principal in Magic / Mentalism and give an example of its use.
. Explain the difference between Impromptu , Self Worker and Set up
. True or false ? in Magic Pasteboard terminology ..Changing your top in public will alarm the crowd ? Give your reasons ........

This is surely much more interesting for both parties and will draw upon the candidates experience and knowledge to provide an answer. The answer of course would then be subjected to feedback rating and so long as the answer meets a relatively good standard they would be free to mix with the Gods of the Art.

After all you don't want to Alienate all and sundry because they have very few posts ....

just a thought ...............What do you think ?

Best Wishes Nic

Let's look at the logic. As I said, it was NOT a matter of merely giving information to someone that is believed, by some, to be a serious student of the art. It was more about giving that information in a public forum which we know attracts the merely curious. That, Nic, was the primary concern. As for the profile issue, had you included a brief profile on your profile page, it would have allowed others to know more about who you are - yet the answers would have STILL been displayed before the public-eye. A few PMs would have provided the information without the need to reach the 50 post access to Inner Thoughts, or the need for an application based on knowledge. Finally, you believe that there are a "lot of people" who have "lots to share," but won't hit the mark. Let me ask you, if these people, indeed have "lots" to share, how long, really, would it take to hit the 50 posts? You've been a member for five-years and, at the time of your question, had only posted 27 times. That's just a little over five posts per year. Ask yourself, does that equate to "lots to share"?

I've been a member for six-years, with my new Username. Like you, I was a member before, but lost my log-in pass-word and had to start from scratch. In six years, I've averaged a teensy-weensy (sp) bit over 300 posts per year - and I DON'T consider myself to have "lots to share." Most of the time, I'm just reading or clicking "like," now that the "like" feature has been added. Now, please do not take this the wrong way. I'm not knocking the number of posts you feel led to make. I'm also not bragging about the number of posts that I have made - since, in both cases, some of our posts were asking questions of the great men who have gone before us. I'm just saying that if one does have "lots to share," the 50 post requirement pretty much flies by in no time.

Just food for thought. I look forward to everything you have to share, Nic, and hopefully meeting you one day. I'm sure I will be blessed.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

spectrahue
View Profile
Regular user
Leicestershire
160 Posts

Profile of spectrahue
Point noted .....and I will just add that the posting doesn't take into account the pms I have sent over the years as well as the variety of emails to fellow compadres.Wish it did !

My aim here is to share with like minded individuals such as your good self and I would love to hit the 50 mark just get more in depth with my peers.

appreciatively NIC

MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2284 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2015, spectrahue wrote:
Point noted .....and I will just add that the posting doesn't take into account the pms I have sent over the years as well as the variety of emails to fellow compadres.Wish it did !

Good point, Kimosabe. Smile Let me ask you this, Nic. If you had to make a choice between magic and mentalism, which would you choose?
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

spectrahue
View Profile
Regular user
Leicestershire
160 Posts

Profile of spectrahue
Hi Michael,

Its a good question but in order for me to answer it I would need more information ..

In what context would the choice need to be made ?

For example if I was working in a room with hearing impaired individuals ...or a very noisy environment like a night club I would have to lean towards magic because an illusion can be performed very visually and without words ...the story can be told silently just like Charlie Chaplin , Laurel and Hardy.
Yet Mentalism I feel always requires much more than a visual display of dexterity and wonder; a lot of verbal direction, verbiage and set up go into many effects just to achieve the desired outcome.

Does this make sense ?

Nic

spectrahue
View Profile
Regular user
Leicestershire
160 Posts

Profile of spectrahue
Incidentally I worked for 15 years in nightclubs and pub as a Door Security Operative , Bouncer ..this didn't fit well with myself and I was known as the magic doorman ; this is were I would practice my close up material and patter, I would take (SherRock)Rocky Racoon out with me and we would do our rounds , making sure everyone was behaving themselves. Searching for illegal contraband etc.

I remember one night the local police attended the club I was working at in Loughborough. They had their Sniffer dog; she was being trained up. I asked as to the cost of such training etc for this Dog and the trainer said around £12000 !
I told him that I also had an animal that I used for detecting drugs etc and that he only cost £30 .....He said yeh but what about the training ...I said he does it on the job ; Earn as you learn. What do you pay him he asked; "Lots of Attention " I replied (still unsure as to what this animal was he now looked completely baffled and asked "What breed is it ?" I told him a RACCOON !
"F+++ OFF !" WAS HIS REPLY ...To which I said hold on .....YEP HES FINSHED HIS NAP ...here he (I kept him behind the counter) ...here he is...meet Rocky (animating as such)
The dog was going crackers the trainer was in shock.

My door friend colleagues were wetting themselves and I was dead pan serious.............

Nic

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dictionary Test ; Is this possible ? (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL