The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dictionary Test ; Is this possible ? (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2284 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2015, spectrahue wrote:
Hi Michael,

Its a good question but in order for me to answer it I would need more information ..

In what context would the choice need to be made ?

For example if I was working in a room with hearing impaired individuals ...or a very noisy environment like a night club I would have to lean towards magic because an illusion can be performed very visually and without words ...the story can be told silently just like Charlie Chaplin , Laurel and Hardy.
Yet Mentalism I feel always requires much more than a visual display of dexterity and wonder; a lot of verbal direction, verbiage and set up go into many effects just to achieve the desired outcome.

Does this make sense ?

Nic

That does, indeed make sense, Nic. The reason I asked the question wasn't in regard to the needs of the market, but rather to see which holds a deeper spot in your heart. I enjoy performing magic for children. I love that to hear them laugh and give them a moment of wonder and amazement. I also enjoy performing magic for our seniors, so I give super-low rates to any recognized senior-group, as my way of giving back to them for all they have done for our country. But for young adults and adults, I prefer to perform mentalism, since it still has that feel of realness to it and still makes people wonder and question their own worldview.

But, if I could choose only one, if I had to LIMIT myself to just one type of performance, I would have to choose mentalism. For me, magic has always been a part of my life and a deeply held love of the craft, but mentalism still holds the mystique that magic once held in society. Does that make sense?
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
spectrahue
View Profile
Regular user
Leicestershire
160 Posts

Profile of spectrahue
Yes it does make sense Michael and now you seem to have kind of alluded to a context I can provide an answer to your question.

"If you had to make a choice between magic and mentalism, which would you choose?"

I would go for Magic as this for me can be performed in more variety of settings and is not limited to by the venue it is performed in.

The thrill for me when I perform for people is the sense of wonder I create in their minds that anything is possible and my ultimate aim is to entertain them ...let them take their minds off things for a while and spend some time in my crazy world; much like my inspirational magicians of choice Wayne Dobson and Paul Daniels.

I grew up with these Masters of the Art on the t.v and when these guys came on I could escape from the Domestic troubles that were going on our house .....We had one Colour T.V and one Black and White I persuaded my parents to let me watch it on the colour in the front room; Saturdays and Sundays only for colour apparently ?). Great !

This was probably one of the very few times during the week when both my parents would stop the arguing, sit together and watch, I would see them both smile (I was happy and so were my younger sisters)....they couldn't help it, it wasn't so much the magic trick itself but more of the manner in which it was performed with the quick wit , adlib , innuendo and jokes,
I knew that these man had a gift from the gods combining their infectious personality with their Art ...not just the entertainment value but the ability to stop people in their tracks , take them away from what they are doing for a brief moment in time and think about reality.

I experienced normal family life for those 30 minutes that these guys were on each week .....I had a taste of normality so to speak and I aspired to be just like them .....

I hope that I do these guys justice when I perform and bring smiles to peoples faces ...

Nic
http://www.magentalist.droppages.com/

A.N.T , Bookworm , 50 Shades Blue, Heads I Win Positvely
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Digging up an old thread here but.......which book test in artful mentalism is it that bob referred To? There is so much in this book and I can never find what I'm looking for, a page number would be much appreciated if anyone has a copy to hand.
Thanks, ed
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3494 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
It's described on page 171 of volume one, but it's just a description.
I'll PM you where you can purchase one.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2016, Last Laugh wrote:
It's described on page 171 of volume one, but it's just a description.
I'll PM you where you can purchase one.

Thanks for the pm. Much appreciated.
Pg 171 is a description of the moleskin divination, am I missing Something?
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3494 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I have the ebook, maybe it's a different layout?
It's in "The Magazine Challenge" under Brain Busting, a few pages after the Moleskine in mine.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Aah, got it. Pg 199 of the book.
Cheers, Ed
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10616 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2015, MichaelCGM wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2015, spectrahue wrote:
Hi Michael,

Its a good question but in order for me to answer it I would need more information ..

In what context would the choice need to be made ?

For example if I was working in a room with hearing impaired individuals ...or a very noisy environment like a night club I would have to lean towards magic because an illusion can be performed very visually and without words ...the story can be told silently just like Charlie Chaplin , Laurel and Hardy.
Yet Mentalism I feel always requires much more than a visual display of dexterity and wonder; a lot of verbal direction, verbiage and set up go into many effects just to achieve the desired outcome.

Does this make sense ?

Nic

That does, indeed make sense, Nic. The reason I asked the question wasn't in regard to the needs of the market, but rather to see which holds a deeper spot in your heart. I enjoy performing magic for children. I love that to hear them laugh and give them a moment of wonder and amazement. I also enjoy performing magic for our seniors, so I give super-low rates to any recognized senior-group, as my way of giving back to them for all they have done for our country. But for young adults and adults, I prefer to perform mentalism, since it still has that feel of realness to it and still makes people wonder and question their own worldview.

But, if I could choose only one, if I had to LIMIT myself to just one type of performance, I would have to choose mentalism. For me, magic has always been a part of my life and a deeply held love of the craft, but mentalism still holds the mystique that magic once held in society. Does that make sense?

I am in complete and utter agreement Michael - my journey is/was the same.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dictionary Test ; Is this possible ? (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL