The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dictionary Test ; Is this possible ? (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
spectrahue
View Profile
Regular user
Leicestershire
161 Posts

Profile of spectrahue
Here goes ; looking for a dictionary test / book test that goes like this ;

1. Pocket dictionary brought out and given to spectator to riffle through and stop wherever they like: (this goes on while the mentalist / magicians back is turned away from them)

2. Spectator stops at a random page and glances at the page number and first word / definition to commit to memory and does not say a word of it to anyone.

3. They then close it up and return to the mentalist who still has his back turned receiving it into his hands with back turned.

4. On his turn around back to spectator the mentalist can reveal the word or page number if he wishes or elaborate with a drawing or other without pumping for *** letters or anagrams .........

Ideal for close up or stage ?

Anyone know anything that comes close to this ?

thanks Nic
http://www.magentalist.droppages.com/

A.N.T , Bookworm , 50 Shades Blue, Heads I Win Positvely
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
830 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
Bob Cassidy has something that can be used that way, it is demonstrated at the end of his slate killer video Smile

(I am not sure it is the perfect dictionnary test but it fits your conditions perfectly)
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Hi Nic,

My book test in my collection, ' invisible mentalism' accomplishes just what you outlined above.

Regards,

Séa
I love post its Smile
Mr. F
View Profile
Loyal user
Kentucky
247 Posts

Profile of Mr. F
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2015, seamagu wrote:
Hi Nic,

My book test in my collection, ' invisible mentalism' accomplishes just what you outlined above.

Regards,

Séa

Is this something you've marketed?
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Hi Mr.F,

I have not released it yet but I have shared it with a few people and git some great feedback. It is my go to booktest and is super easy to perform.

If there is enough interest I may look at releasing it. I was thinking of releasing it with my other booktest which is a reverse booktest where the spectator reads your mind!!

Best,

Séa
I love post its Smile
FoggFactor
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
189 Posts

Profile of FoggFactor
Hey Nic. Nate Kranzo performs and sells a book test done with a pocket dictionary. A random page is selected by the audience, the spectator opens to that (freely) chosen page, and you can instantly write down the word they are thinking of. And with Kranzo's effect, you can actually reveal two words per page. I have performed it and gotten great reactions. I'm a fan. It is called "Diction" if you are interested in looking up performance videos or the effect for purchase.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Why, all the back turned to participant ?
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Good point, there is no need to turn away from the spectator
I love post its Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Mine does exactly as described in the OP. You can find it in "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy," and, as mentioned above, in my "Slate Killers" download from Penguin. The participant can open the pocket dictionary anywhere and the page number is not known to the performer.

It is also marketed by Ed Fowler (Carlyle) as "The Working Mentalists Dictionary."

It is simply an improvement and modernization of the original effect by Henry Bjorkland released over half a century ago.
spectrahue
View Profile
Regular user
Leicestershire
161 Posts

Profile of spectrahue
Great suggestions coming through... I will look into them and report back.
The reason for turning my back to the spectator while they search for a word is to negate any foul play... That is all
Thanks and keep those suggestions coming
Much appreciated Nic
http://www.magentalist.droppages.com/

A.N.T , Bookworm , 50 Shades Blue, Heads I Win Positvely
minty
View Profile
Elite user
Rugby, Warwickshire
423 Posts

Profile of minty
I use Bob's, and got the pocket version from carlyletouch.com. I love it.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
OK I'm just curious. Someone with 27 posts and no profile describes an effect and no one hesitates to mention specific marketed effects ad where to get them. Am I the only one who thinks this should not be available on a searchable forum?
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2015, MichaelCGM wrote:
OK I'm just curious. Someone with 27 posts and no profile describes an effect and no one hesitates to mention specific marketed effects ad where to get them. Am I the only one who thinks this should not be available on a searchable forum?

It is a losing battle to complain.......
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

It's not against any rules to point someone to a source where they can buy a marketed effect. If you think about it, the sites where these things can be purchased are also publicly searchable.

Besides, if I feel like pointing someone toward a marketed effect OF MY OWN, are you saying I shouldn't do that?

By that reasoning, no marketed effect should even be described here- for description is all that has taken place. There has been no mention of methods- and that is what is prohibited in Penny.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
It's not against any rules to point someone to a source where they can buy a marketed effect. If you think about it, the sites where these things can be purchased are also publicly searchable.

Besides, if I feel like pointing someone toward a marketed effect OF MY OWN, are you saying I shouldn't do that?

By that reasoning, no marketed effect should even be described here- for description is all that has taken place. There has been no mention of methods- and that is what is prohibited in Penny.

Sorry, Bob, but that's a far cry from what's been the usual concern when someone sees a routine and comes looking for information about it. Of course, you'll disagree with me on that, and that's your prerogative, but someone coming to Penny with a description of something they saw someone do, and asking where they can find it has been frowned upon in the past. Evidently, some believe that it now OK to tell the general public that, "Yes. Mentalism is as simple as buying a product from son & so and you'll have the secret." Additionally, method WAS discussed. By naming direct sources in a public forum, we've given the general public direct access to the methods.

Thanks, now that I know the new perspective about Penny, I can change my position on protecting the trade.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

FoggFactor
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
189 Posts

Profile of FoggFactor
Quote:

I clicked on his profile, saw that Nic has been a member since 2010, and decided that he is a magician who is afraid to comment because he will be called out for doing so (as he was in this thread) OR he saw this routine five years ago and has cleverly waited until now to post...

Either way, I am happy to help.

- Frank
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I did the same thing. I checked his past posts, found out his name was Nic and that his interest in the art certainly is serious.

I do that with every new poster if I don't know who they are.

So, yes, I do disagree with you, Michael. If you had asked the question I would have answered it the same way.

And, again, there has been no exposure in this thread and no violation of Café rules.
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Mine does exactly as described in the OP. You can find it in "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy," and, as mentioned above, in my "Slate Killers" download from Penguin. The participant can open the pocket dictionary anywhere and the page number is not known to the performer.

It is also marketed by Ed Fowler (Carlyle) as "The Working Mentalists Dictionary."

It is simply an improvement and modernization of the original effect by Henry Bjorkland released over half a century ago.

Hey Bob -

I've been hanging out with Ed a little in the last few months after realizing he was in my home state of Virginia.
I feel fortunate to have him as a friend and I've been like a kid in a candy store learning from him.

If you have time shoot me a PM
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2015, FoggFactor wrote:
Quote:

I clicked on his profile, saw that Nic has been a member since 2010, and decided that he is a magician who is afraid to comment because he will be called out for doing so (as he was in this thread) OR he saw this routine five years ago and has cleverly waited until now to post...

Either way, I am happy to help.

- Frank

Hi Frank. I clicked on his profile as well. I'm not saying that he is insincere. His limited posts, without anything in his profile, were just one narrow aspect of the problem with this thread. If, indeed some considered him a sincere seeker, A PM would have provided him with some great information to guide him along - without making the same information readily available to the rest of the lurkers and curiosity seekers. I am always willing to help sincere seekers, but on a one-to-one basis, not in a crowd of people who just want to know how, for the sake of knowing how.

I've always considered Penny a place for general guidance to introductory teachings on the art of mentalism, suggesting 13 Steps and other great books on the subject, or other sources for introductory-level learning, and then helping with other reference material and/or in PMs, until the serious student reaches that *impossible* 50 posts to enter Inner Thoughts. (TIC) I know that when I started, I was advised to wait until I gained that magic number to ask more specific questions - like the one asked in this thread. And, I was happy to do so.

Imagine a similar question:

"I'm thinking about doing a prediction. I'd like to be able to have someone just think of a date, then hand them a weekly planner. When they looked up that date in the planner, it would match a prediction that I already made. Is this possible?

"Sure. Just go to Collectors Workshop and type in **********, and for 55 bucks, you can do it. Or, you can go to Penguin Magic and buy the secret for just 34 bucks and do it yourself. Glad I could help."

Of course, now we wouldn't have to use the asterisks - since, after all, it is a marketed effect. And, of course, if any of the other lurkers and curious public eyes have seen it performed by working mentalists (like myself) after those mentalists paid for Mr. C's effect, they would now be quite aware of how I accomplished such a stunning effect. Or, another mentalist or magician in my area - who had not thought of the effect in awhile could just add it to his/her act, now that they know what it's actually called and how inexpensive it is.

But you boys go right ahead. I'm sure that this won't negatively affect the mentalim community, or the people who have spent time and money to build their acts. (TIC) I know, from my PM in-box, that I'm far from the only one who sees this as a problem. Think about it, Frank. That's all I ask.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
991 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
I completely agree with your statements, opinion and suggestions MichaelCGM. PMing would have been more appropriate in this particular event being discussed and would have accomplished the satisfaction of spectranue's request.

Smile Smile
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dictionary Test ; Is this possible ? (15 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL