The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Devils Drill (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2830 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
There is some truly clever thinking behind Devil's Drill. If it were any more clever it would be
illegal Smile!

I don't want to dish too much and ruin everyone's fun but I'm reminded of some of the thinking shared in Confessions of a Psychic by Uriah Fuller though I'd say this is more robust and flexible in use for most of us. Steve Cohen also touched on a relative of this method on his Conversations With Mind Readers interview years ago though I'm pretty sure what Steve shared was actually illegal!

Greg takes this in some very interesting directions, offering suggestions to further obscure the method in play. I think Ted K. has a term, something like "observational preshow" and this is similar but on steroids to use common hyperbole. Nothing written, no electronics though I see where in certain situations electronics could be used to enhance your results. Harvesting was a very good term as used above by TheDirectionalist though is the tip of the iceberg in this instance.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2015, JoelDickinson wrote:
I don't agree. I think a working magician will appreciate the idea. I'm not excluding amatures, however an amature magician won't get much use from this unless they're doing a good amount of voluntary performing.

Joel

I absolutely agree with your comment Thanks

Greg
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Im hoping that one thing is NOT "check their Facebook page"
James

Quote:
On Sep 9, 2015, brehaut wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2015, IAIN wrote:
So do I need any kind of electronic device, smartphone or mentalism utility for this? Is it done 'live' or is there some form of p**-sh** involved?

You do not need anything electronic--no smartphone, no internet, etc. There is one thing you must do before approaching the spectator which depending on circumstances can take sometimes as little as a minute or two.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1248 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
No! No social networking etc this is much better than that. And also gives information which that couldn't do!!
REALWORKERS.CO.UK
TADAA.CO.UK - ASTONISHING MAGIC
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Sounds fantastic! I was hoping it wasn't that, lol. These days, you never know.
James

Quote:
On Sep 13, 2015, JoelDickinson wrote:
No! No social networking etc this is much better than that. And also gives information which that couldn't do!!
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
I know spectators expect electronics these days. This method allows me to "read minds" so purely that it is clear that electronics can't explain it. Once again there is no gimmick used nor any electronics or Internet etc used in anyway
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5318 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Any, other reviews from people that have purchased this ?

~G
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Mr. F
View Profile
Loyal user
Kentucky
236 Posts

Profile of Mr. F
I purchased this and am very happy with it. Greg goes into great detail as to what the performer can achieve with this method, but the possibilities are really only limited by one's own creativity.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5318 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Thanks, M.F. !
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
This cunning piece of brilliance wouldn't be the simple expedient of asking somebody who is accompanying the spectator about them would it ?
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5318 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
I do know, it is not passing out "Survey" cards ! Smile
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2015, Ray Chelt wrote:
This cunning piece of brilliance wouldn't be the simple expedient of asking somebody who is accompanying the spectator about them would it ?

You never speak to anyone before the presentation---not to the spectator, not to the spectator's friends, not to anyone. It is extremely clean.
ThoZ
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of ThoZ
Im also quite interested in it. Sounds awesome Smile

ThoZ
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2015, Mr. F wrote:
I purchased this and am very happy with it. Greg goes into great detail as to what the performer can achieve with this method, but the possibilities are really only limited by one's own creativity.

Glad you like it. You really have hit on the main point though. I give the performer enough information that they could perform amazing effects just using the specific technique and methods in the PDF. But once you learn the method, you will never look at things the same (at least I hope not) and you will start performing miracles that you previously thought were not possible.
Tempesta
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
399 Posts

Profile of Tempesta
I don't usually purchase things like this but being that he's a fellow Kentuckian, I had a good feeling about it. Smile

This is one of those things that has a really cool method to me. It may be completely uncool to someone else though. To someone looking for a gadget or secret that does the effect for you, I wouldn't categorize this as that. This is going to be most liked used by a performing mentalist. For one like me, doing this at a show, this is VERY deceptive. There's work involved, and it's one of those things in which the work involved is so great and so simple that nobody would ever guess it, and the people that would guess would convince themselves that it can't be the real secret. Even magicians.

I'm the type of artist that loves the effect and has big standards for effect conditions. That means, If an effect has a high standard of conditions, meaning, I can present it honestly without "stooging," no writing, no preshow, the effect for the volunteer is exactly the same as for the audience, etc, then I am not as prejudiced on methods. The Devil's Drill is a method that will get you to that point of surefire knowledge that you simply could not know, without any of the things normally suspected or used. That's pretty rad.

My only advice to prospective buyers is that this one works best in context. I recommend this for performing mentalists. If you only perform for family and friends, this probably isn't your cup of tea.

Sean
//Sean Beard
Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
491 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
Tempesta as far as the family and friends scenario what about party type situations?

Not a professional, but do lots of things for strangers at parties and MMA gyms after training...

Thanks for the review. =)
Tempesta
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
399 Posts

Profile of Tempesta
Party type situations are awesome for this, but because of the process, just be aware that the "work" is not something that can be done at a whim, in front of people, like you would reset a gimmick or deck of cards. And for strangers, this is best because there's just no explanation. You don't even have to know someone's name. It really is a huge tool, really great idea to have in the arsenal. Smile
//Sean Beard
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On Sep 15, 2015, Jeff Wassom wrote:
Tempesta as far as the family and friends scenario what about party type situations?

Not a professional, but do lots of things for strangers at parties and MMA gyms after training...

Thanks for the review. =)

By definition this works best with complete strangers. The method allows you to tell impossible information the first time you meet someone without any pumping for information, electronics, etc. The problem with a good friend or family member is it will be less impressive since they will think you know the information from a friend, etc.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3325 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Can this be beneficial when performing Asi Winds "Catch 23"
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2015, takeachance wrote:
Can this be beneficial when performing Asi Winds "Catch 23"

Not familiar with Catch 23 but if you PM me and describe it, I will let you know. Thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Devils Drill (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL