The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Restaurant Residency Question (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
712 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Do you guys really think people don't know they are being sold? Isn't that underestimating people just a bit?

This is the stuff that frustrates me so much about magicians.

Yeah, you are 100% right...they know they are being sold. People are not stupid. The difference is the hard sell versus the soft sell. I have a sales background which includes selling printing products, copy manchines, time shares, insurance, credit card systems, Amway products, siding, storm windows, and even pest control service. In almost every instance I was a top selling sales person...in the top 5% of what they call the "sales ladder". If I had a secret (as some people thought) it was that my sales technique was a soft sell. I was not a "hard closer" using the closing questions which we learned in the sales courses we had to take. My method was to have my prospect literally sell themselves. Using this method, I know they knew that they were being sold, but they felt good about it and felt it was their idea. It is kind of difficult to explain exactly without a visual demonstation, but it involves speaking from the heart, being sincere and honest with people, finding out what people want and then showing them how they can have what they want. I don't know, Dannydoyle, if you have a sales background, but if you do, you may think that what I have described is a lot of B.S. Well, all I can say is that the method works and can be applied to selling anything--even magic.

I have applied this method whenever I was in a position where I needed to convince someone or sell someone on an idea. I have also worked in management at the corporate level and it surely came in handy there. For a time, I was a "trouble shooter" for American-Standard Corporation. I would be sent to various locations all over the country when one of our customers complained about our business forms not working in their computer printer. This was in the 1970s when computer equipment was a bit more rudimentary than now. I would generally arrive to be greeted by an irate customer who blamed our continuous forms for their problems. Well, to make a long story short, about 90% of the time I returned to my home office to report that the problem was solved and there was no need to rebate, refund, or reprint. I didn't usually know much at all about the customer's equipment, but using a soft sell technique, and helping the customer get what they wanted even if they were the cause of the problem was a result of my soft sell. I developed quite a reputation for this.

For about six months I was a telemarketer...you know, one of those guys who calls you at dinner time trying to sell you something? I only did this to supplement my income while I built a sales territory at my day job. I was very successful at doing this telemarketing. It was really a job of "appointment setting" for sales people to show up at a customer's house to sell siding and storm windows. The sales reps loved my leads because people were happy to see them based on my appointment setting. I quit that job because of the evening hours and I no longer needed the extra income, but the company kept trying to hire me back because of my success at what I did. Did I have a secret? Not really. I just spoke from the heart, was sincere, gave people what they wanted and let them sell them selves.

Sorry to be so wordy, and you probably have not read this whole epistle, but that is okay. What mindpro is saying is correct and an excellent way of selling ourselves as magicians.
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20383 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
(Wordy? Yes quite. BUT even though it exceeded my maximum word rule for me to read I did. Might be a testiment to your overall point.)

I do have a sales background and what you say is largely bs from a technical book point of view. From a real world guys making real money point of view it is dead on. To me that is the ONLY thing that matters.

But you oddly enough make my point. It is not the stupid momento you leave, it is your genuine nature which does the selling. First they ASK for information. This means they are probably already sold baring an objection such as price or date conflict. The momento does almost nothing to help your case. You have done all these other things so right it is meaningless.

Also WITHOUT having done all the other heavy lifting it comes off as nothing but a ham handed attempt to push information on them. Sadly this is how it comes off 90% of the time.

Oddly enough I have almost never had to "sell myself". The show mostly does it for me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
712 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 12, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
(Wordy? Yes quite. BUT even though it exceeded my maximum word rule for me to read I did. Might be a testiment to your overall point.)

I do have a sales background and what you say is largely bs from a technical book point of view. From a real world guys making real money point of view it is dead on. To me that is the ONLY thing that matters.

But you oddly enough make my point. It is not the stupid momento you leave, it is your genuine nature which does the selling. First they ASK for information. This means they are probably already sold baring an objection such as price or date conflict. The momento does almost nothing to help your case. You have done all these other things so right it is meaningless.

Also WITHOUT having done all the other heavy lifting it comes off as nothing but a ham handed attempt to push information on them. Sadly this is how it comes off 90% of the time.

Oddly enough I have almost never had to "sell myself". The show mostly does it for me.

Right ON! From your comments I can tell you not only have sales experience, but successful sales experience at that. We all buy with emotion and justify later with logic. I think what you are saying is that the impression we leave involves emotion. If the emotion we create is positive, warm, sincere, fun, & good, the physical item we hand them serves as a trigger or reminder of that positive feeling they had when we interacted with them. Just leaving a card or brochure without the emotional factor is very ineffective.

Your comment also about the show doing it for you is absolutely right on. What better way to "sell yourself" than by performing. I think you are right, too, that most magicians do not know or understand this concept.
May every day be magic!

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20383 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Absolutely.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
734 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
After reading this post, I am actually glad I am putting out the restaurant tracking system. Meeting with the marketing department is the PERFECT opportunity to introduce a method for not only laying out a plan for HOW you plan to bring guests in but also show, down to the penny, how much revenue you are generating for the business and how it is affecting their bottom line.

I wish you much luck misterillusion in this adventure Smile

PS- I should mention that after reading the above it does sound like a plug but I did not intend for it to come off that way. I'm just happy that a business' marketing department is actually taking the time to put together a plan with this gentleman. He's already in the 80th percentile in regards to most entertainers in this industry. Most GM's or marketing teams could give two sh_ts less about it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20383 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
As you alluded to getting anyone to take the time is tough. They think they already know. That is a tough hurdle.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
712 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 14, 2015, eatonmagic wrote:
After reading this post, I am actually glad I am putting out the restaurant tracking system. Meeting with the marketing department is the PERFECT opportunity to introduce a method for not only laying out a plan for HOW you plan to bring guests in but also show, down to the penny, how much revenue you are generating for the business and how it is affecting their bottom line.

I wish you much luck misterillusion in this adventure Smile

PS- I should mention that after reading the above it does sound like a plug but I did not intend for it to come off that way. I'm just happy that a business' marketing department is actually taking the time to put together a plan with this gentleman. He's already in the 80th percentile in regards to most entertainers in this industry. Most GM's or marketing teams could give two sh_ts less about it.

Thanks for your comments. I am meeting with the marketing director this morning at 10 AM. I will let you know what is discussed.
--Charlie
May every day be magic!

misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
712 Posts

My meeting with the marketing director this morning was short (about 30 minutes), but very positive. My first night will be Tuesday October 8th for standard table hopping. The next Tuesday night (the 13th) will be a little different format since it will involve a fund raiser theme for first responders in the area. The director I met with is excited about having magic performed on site and is a "fan" of magic. We discussed how I would be approaching the patrons and other details and concluded with lunch "on the house". I am looking forward to providing the very best entertainment possible. The person I met with advised me that the restaurant owner has several other locations locally and, I may be involved with those locations as well....in the future. (when I say "local" that means that I can get there and back in the same day)

Tomorrow night I start my first performance with the Italian restaurant (different owner/company than the one I met with this morning). They also are anxious to see how well things will go. The pressure is on....and I am excited.

Thanks for everyone's input and encouragment.
--Charlie
May every day be magic!

Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9991 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
What ever happened with the business card situation?
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
712 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 21, 2015, Mindpro wrote:
What ever happened with the business card situation?

I brought that up at the meeting with the marketing director this morning. The agreement (which will be put in writing to me) is that I will not agressively solicit business, but if customers ask for my card, I will be free to hand them one. This is perfectly acceptable to me, since asking for my card is a "buying signal". Of course, if they give me their card, that will be even better since I can then proactively add them to my prospect list. I was also advised that there will be events where I will be able to have a stack of my cards available along with other promotional materials. I don't have a lot of details on those kind of events, but was advised details will be coming.
Thanks, Charlie
May every day be magic!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Restaurant Residency Question (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL