The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Well they certainly got off easy (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
The Civil Rights Act doesn't prohibit discrimination as a blanket prohibition; it prohibits discrimination (against certain classes) by businesses that are "places of public accommodation," which includes most places that sell food. A bakery would probably fall under the law; a hardware store quite likely wouldn't.

Extra credit for "I'll bite" - You nailed it! (Hardware pun intended)
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
... the KKK is a hate group, and is viewed as such by the federal government.

Says who?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_group

"The FBI does not publish a list of hate groups, and "[I]nvestigations are conducted only when a threat or advocacy of force is made; when the group has the apparent ability to carry out the proclaimed act; and when the act would constitute a potential violation of federal law."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2015, rockwall wrote:
Quote:

Says who?

"The FBI does not publish a list of hate groups, and "[I]nvestigations are conducted only when a threat or advocacy of force is made; when the group has the apparent ability to carry out the proclaimed act; and when the act would constitute a potential violation of federal law."

But it does describe the KKK as a group known for committng hate crimes.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate......e_crimes

Anyway, of course, the FBI is not the whole federal government and certainly I do not know what Bob meant exactly.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2015, balducci wrote:
... and certainly I do not know what Bob meant exactly.

That's why I asked. I'm just not gonna hold my breath.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
Quote:

Says who?

So it seems the FBI may not PUBLISH a LIST of hate groups, but it most certainly has publicly LISTED the KKK among hate groups at times.

https://vault.fbi.gov/cointel-pro/White%......01-of-14

"investigation of Ku Klux Klan and other Hate Groups" it says early on.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
You're a funny guy Balducci. I also notice that early on they list the date of publication as 5/11/78. I wonder what the FBI thought of gay groups back then?
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
You're a funny guy Balducci. I also notice that early on they list the date of publication as 5/11/78. I wonder what the FBI thought of gay groups back then?

It's hardly a secret the FBI happily persecuted any gays who did not hold the position of Director of the FBI.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

The facts are that the FBI has explicitly described the KKK as a hate group in the past, and clearly still associates it with hate groups today.

What I think is funny (sad, really) is the depths to which you are sinking to in this thread. I think when someone has to start defending the KKK to make a case, one should concede defeat.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Or when one has to resort to arbitrary distinctions. As has been acknowledged, the KKK has been held by SCOTUS to be entitled to constitutional protections.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5062 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2015, Destiny wrote:
Quote:

It's hardly a secret the FBI happily persecuted any gays who did not hold the position of Director of the FBI.

Zing!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:

Or when one has to resort to arbitrary distinctions. As has been acknowledged, the KKK has been held by SCOTUS to be entitled to constitutional protections.

Keep up. I was only replying to distinctions others introduced. (I never claimed the KKK was not entitled to constitutional protections etc. That's for you U.S. citizens to decide.)

Unless you were referring to your own distinction between a hardware store and a bakery?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Keep up. The distinction that I brought up is enshrined in federal law.

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Fine, but what does that have to do with anything I posted? I just commented on Bob and Rockwall's comments on the KKK being recognized (or not) as a hate group.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:

And in Skokie it was found that the American Nazi party, too, was entitled to constitutional protections, EVEN THOUGH they are also a hate group.

But membership in either doesn't make one a member of a constitutionally protected or suspect class, as you well know. I'm sure that Rockwall has no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm sure you appreciate why hate groups and the LGBT community are not even remotely comparable.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5062 Posts

Profile of landmark
To be fair to Lobo, he was only using the KKK as an example, a foil to my comments. He probably could pick other examples less contentious legally, but that would still make his point. And I would still reply the same way.

And in the same way, it may be that legally I picked a bad example with hardware store. But again the point still holds. I don't think that I should have to submit to a thought purity test before I purchase something.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
The hardware store wasn't a bad example; it just provided me an opportunity for an aside. Most people think that "businesses" can't discriminate, as a blanket statement. The fact is, it's only certain types of businesses that can't discriminate (against certain types of people). If you own the sandwich shop, you can't (legally) refuse to serve people on the basis of race; if they own the store next door that sells Popsicle stick sculptures, they can refuse to serve you on the basis of your race.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5062 Posts

Profile of landmark
Now that's a piece of information that I am pretty shocked to learn. Even for a protected class?
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2015, balducci wrote:
Quote:

The facts are that the FBI has explicitly described the KKK as a hate group in the past, and clearly still associates it with hate groups today.

What I think is funny (sad, really) is the depths to which you are sinking to in this thread. I think when someone has to start defending the KKK to make a case, one should concede defeat.

For a smart guy, you'd think you'd be able to tell the difference between defending a particular group and asking questions about supposed facts by someone whos known to make things up as he goes along. Bob's entire argument was based on the supposed 'fact' that the government recognizes the KKK as a hate group. Apparently, (as Bob has been unable to provide support for his 'assumption'), it's not true. But coming from Bob, that's not surprising.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2015, landmark wrote:
Now that's a piece of information that I am pretty shocked to learn. Even for a protected class?

States may enact (any many have) laws that offer their citizens more protections than the federal law does, but for the Civil Rights Act, yes, even for protected classes. The consumer protection apply to businesses that are "places of public accommodation." That category covers most businesses, but not all.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5062 Posts

Profile of landmark
Could you please go more into what the definition of "public accomodation" includes and excludes?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Well they certainly got off easy (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL