The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Hot rods (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
I'm looking at buying a brass hot rod from EBay and wanted to know if there are different types of hot rods (except for color). What should I look for to know if I'm getting a good deal.

Thanks,
Brian
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes, there are. I would take a look at Bob Solari's catalog to see what he has. Then you will know what you are actually bidding on.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
Hi Bill is Solari's catalog available on the web?

Do some hot rods have gem stones and others colored dots and is there a difference?

Thanks

Brian
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I have several...

Two of those brass ones...painted spots, gimmicked, they say it's examinable, but never failed to be "busted" (hey, this is a sleeve...). Those are now in a box.

My clear one. 6 different colored gems. My favorite. Fits my hand perfectly. It's more than 15 years old.

A black one with gems...pretty, kinda skinny, but a good back-up (if I forget my clear one).

Jumping Gems. Two hot rod-type plastic sticks, gems jump back and forth, disappear, and one finally changes color.

Amazing Jumping Arrow. Only second to the clear Hot Rod. This thing ROCKS, and is one of those "talked about" effects I do. In fact, I've used that as a closer in a close-up routine, after doing Raven vanishes, Skinner's Monte, etc, and all they tell their friends about is that "arrow"...LOL!

Hot-Roddin' along...Smile
Doug
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
Thanks Doug that's the info I was looking for although I just bought a Brass one with the painted spots, hope I'm not disappointed. But at leat I got it cheap!

Thanks
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I have just a regular classic clear hot rod with gems. It serves me well when I need it and it was dirt cheap.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2004-02-24 21:07, Dougini wrote:
Amazing Jumping Arrow. Only second to the clear Hot Rod. This thing ROCKS, and is one of those "talked about" effects I do. In fact, I've used that as a closer in a close-up routine, after doing Raven vanishes, Skinner's Monte, etc, and all they tell their friends about is that "arrow"...LOL!

In my opinion, the Amazing Jumping Arrow effect itself is very good, but the patter that comes with it is coma-inducing. I saw Allan Hayden perform the effect with his own patter and it was killer!!!! Man, talk about an entertaining routine. If you ever run into Allan, beg and plead until he shows you his presentation.

Larry
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Thanks, Larry!

I wonder...I've got to find better patter...I have my own, but it's lame..."See that thing move? It's got a mind of its own..." Ha...(-snore-)...

I'll have to do a search...Allan Hayden, hmmm? (Picture me assuming the Pete Biro "pondering" pose)

I've heard that name before...oh, and "bg"...that brass one? Take it out of the sleeve, take some Testors Model Paint, and repaint those spots...that's the first thing ya want to do...then, if you can find a polishing wheel and some jeweler's rouge, polish the ENDS...get that telltale ledge flush...Dremel tool might work, come ta think of it...hmmmm (Pete Biro pose again...) Smile

Doug
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
I just got the brass hot rod and it's the biggest piece of junk I've ever bought.

Just my opionion but don't buy this!
Mark Williams
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
513 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
I had a larger version of the clear Hot Rod made. I got the clear plastic rectangular rod from a Plastics Company, which they cut to my specifications. Then I went to a Craft Store for the Gems. I now use it for a Parlor routine. It was rather inexpensive to have made, I might add. It just so happened that the Plastics Company had scraps just laying around which they gave to me for free. The only cost was for them to cut it to the size I specified--This was quite minimal after explaining to them the Magical aspects and it's intended use. I have found many Companies over the years that are willing to help out like this one in particular. I guess they just feel, being apart of the Magic is an extremely cool thing.
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
johnloon
View Profile
New user
UK
54 Posts

Profile of johnloon
There is a very nice set made by Ton Onosaka from Japan. It comes with a leather case. Very nice.
And the gems on the rods are very good quality crystal.
NYKnicks5
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of NYKnicks5
I get great reactions from both kids and adults from this trick. This is one of those tricks that you might not think would get reactions (I bought one years ago and just a few months ago I picked it up again), but it really floors people. I love to improvise patter on this trick, especially on kids. When I get to know them a little better, I can make them feel like they are doing something magical (like waving a wand) and it attracts a lot of attention.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I personnally like to 1st do 'Jumping Jems' with 'Flash' rod. Then follow up and ask if they would like to see through this trick. They always say, "Yes". I pull out the Clear 'Hot Rod' and it make a wonderful climas to a several minute routine.

Can't beat those gems.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I never got past the rhinestones and plastic part of the trick. Gems and ebony on a coffee stirrer? Till the basic object speaks to me... it's as 'out there' as carrying a pocket knife. Quaint at best.

Though if you are from the village in NY or San Francisco these things might be just fabulous and attractive to your desired audience.

Liberace loved pretty shiny things.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ellisd
View Profile
Veteran user
Sacramento
330 Posts

Profile of ellisd
Although they seem to be hard to find lately I really like the wooden hot rods the best. To me they present a better image and don't look like something the audience is going to think is gimmicked in some way.
http://www.erictheballoondude.com

Balloon Twisting for all of Sacramento!
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2004-02-28 18:05, johnloon wrote:
There is a very nice set made by Ton Onosaka from Japan. It comes with a leather case. Very nice.
And the gems on the rods are very good quality crystal.

johnloon,
I am VERY interested in this -- do you know of any source to buy them, or someone I could get in contact with?

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
I have a double colour changing brass rod.

usual effects, 6 colours, one is 'chosen' and all the gems turns that colour on both sides. then the multi colours re appear, and another colour is chosen. all of the gems now match this chosen colour and it is given out for examination.

a nice piece of kit, under $20, and is perfect for that "show me a trick" guy.
amshake
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of amshake
I've thought about the doublechange hot rod a couple of times.. and I still don't see how its going to get any more reaction out of a crowd than a regular hot rod. You can even hand a regular hot rod out at the end with a few changes in your patter.. gets um every time!!
Magic Geek
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Hot rods (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL