The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Marketing Magic: A Guide to Getting the Gigs - Book (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10069 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2015, T.G. Jones wrote:
There are differences between the UK and US. I have worked in both markets. Saying they are the same in terms of marketing is quite frankly naive.

I absolutely 100% agree. Actually I couldn't agree more. Just look around here at the Café and you will see the difference are huge (between the UK and US in performance and business operations). The mentalities, the approach, the markets, the contents and structure of performances, perceptions and expectations of the customer, positioning, branding and so much more are actually quite different and in some cases I would say completely opposite. This book seems written for UK performers based on UK perspectives and experiences.

Just as the creator's posts often vary greatly from US perspectives it only stands to reason that his experience and writings will primarily do the same. Plus since the book is laced with the author's opinions and rants which again is based on his UK experience and perspectives, one would expect differences.

There of course is nothing wrong with that, but don't misrepresent it to US performers misleading them to believe it's all the same as this will quickly reveal disappointment when discovering it's not and the differences. I'm sure at over 700 pages there is something anyone who purchases the book will learn and can add to their business operations.
magicianhelpingmagicians
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of magicianhelpingmagicians
In the nature of helping, take a look at this

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Stephe......&bih=705

the kid seems to be about 25, and judging from his design and website skills, he doesn't appear to be qualified to sell a book about anything. And I agree, the market in the UK and the US are wholly different, not just from the willingness to be sold to, but the entire market. Wedding magic doesn't exist really in the US for example.

Looks, it's cute he is trying to sell a large book. Books are good. But, usually people that author books are experts. This kid seems to have tried just about every ay to make money and after having failed to do so, is now trying to sell a book. Those that can do, those that can't teach.

I am sure he is lovely, and means well but images like this

say all I need to know to judge the validity of his book. I don't iagine he has permission to teach almost any of the material on that disc.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10069 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Another example of a wanna-be guru in the making. Remember when such a book would only come from someone after years of real-word experience, usually offered in the twilight of their career or after decades of experience and knowledge? I've often disagreed with many of his posts bit I guess the book doesn't surprise me. It's easier than ever for anyone to write a book these days and call themselves an "author."
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3456 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Stephen Ablett

(1980 - )
Amazing Stephen is an award winning magician and children’s entertainer from Stockport, England. He has been performing professionally for over 16 years.

He was the North West Close-Up Magic Champion for 2010, along with being the Manchester Cabaret Magician of the Year for both 2008 and 2009.

Stephen is an ex high-school ICT teacher with a BA (Hons) and Masters Degree in Television Production. He was professionally trained in Drama and Performance at 'North Cheshire College of Performing Arts'. Stephen graduated with top marks in 1998. He now uses his entertainment skills to create a magical experience for children of all ages.

He is currently 30 years of age, and has already written 8 successful books and produced 11 DVDs on the art of entertaining with magic. He has also written over 40 television screenplays, a series of published Haiku poetry, several technical manuals, and has produced over a dozen short films and documentaries that have aired at several film festivals.

He is a full member of numerous magical societies including the Magic Circle, International Brotherhood of Magicians and the Manchester Circle of Magicians.

He has performed on many TV programmes including Britain’s Got Talent in front of the celebrity judges. He has also performed on some of the grandest stages including the Salford Lowry, London Palladium, Blackpool Winter Gardens and Aberdeen Music Hall.

His repertoire includes magic workshops, circus skills, games, puppets and magic. He is in constant demand and is one of the busiest entertainers in the UK.

"I think he has more credibility than you guys are giving him credit for. I'd like to read a review from someone who has actually bought the book. I have other material from him and found it to be clear and concise. But then again, I'm not American"
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Hi Guys.

Just to let anyone know that I am down to my last 15 copies of the physical book and DVD. The download version will continue to be available through Penguin, Murphy's and the usual outlets. I offer free postage to anywhere in the world. I will not be making any more print copies after these sell out. As a Christmas bonus, anyone who purchases the book before Christmas can also choose a free DVD which will be included with the order.

Looking back at this thread, I am 36 years of age and have many products to my name as you have found. Ive been a professional magician for over twenty years and love my job, both performing and writing. I do this full time and this book is the sum of everything I have learnt. I am quite proud of that Learn a Magic Trick DVD. It was made as an upsell for my holiday park shows and has made me a fortune over the years.

Pm me if you have any questions. I am happy to help however I can.

Steve
nkwmagic
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
39 Posts

Profile of nkwmagic
Is the physcial copy still available?
Check out Cadenza, a highly rated, rare marked deck:
https://legendsplayingcards.com/products/cadenza

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/nkw.playing.cards/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Marketing Magic: A Guide to Getting the Gigs - Book (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL