The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Questions about shell options... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
I understand that these sort of questions have been asked many times, but I would prefer a more personalized answer as per my specific questions. Thanks!

1. Is there any negatives to getting a shimmed half? If I were to need one in the future, I would hate to have to pay such another drastic amount of money if I'm to buy from Todd Lassen or Jamie Schoolcraft.. Does it mess with fit?

2. I notice that Jamie offers just a stand alone shell (not a set) that's quite affordable compared to whole sets. I have plenty of coin shops in the area that I've gone and gotten many coins from in the past of which match, however are they being honest when selling an expanded shell set that they give you perfectly fitting coins? Is it just a matter of searching for the right fit or do they do something to ensure if fits correctly with just those coins? I'm interested in your experiences of doing this sort of thing... Is it just as good just buying a shell then putting in the effort to find the right coins to go inside? Please let me know. Also; has Todd Lassen been known to sell just a shell for a similar price as Jamie? His site doesn't mention anything.

3. Whats your opinion on Johnson Morgan expanded shells? I understand you're not going to get the same luxurious quality as with Lassen or Jamie, but are they still worth using? Please explain what issues you may or may not have with this sort of thing if possible. I work in restaurants and private parties currently, I'm not looking to fool magicians in to thinking I'm not using a shell, or letting someone closely examine the coins in my hand... I ring the shell in, do my routine, ring it out, no big deal.

Note: I do have experience with using shells, I don't want to get the Johnson shell just to see if I like it or anything... I know what I'm going to be doing with it if I do get one. My current shell is just a half dollar and I prefer working with Morgans (dollar sized coins) now.

If you've been in similar shoes as me when it comes to not being able to decide, I'd love to hear what you went for and how it worked out for you. Thanks!
jmagic
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of jmagic
Look at the Morgan shells on joemogar.com These are top quality and the price is good.
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
658 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
I've only used Johnson and Tango. The Johnson is much better than the tango for fit and coverage but does fit my C/S, so has a plus point there.

I've not used the better companies mentioned, but I don't feel any reason to "upgrade". It fits well enough to spin in spellbound positions, so can use moves like Homer Liwag's unnest in Coin 2. It looks just like a normal coin and if left on a table amongst others, you wouldn't see the difference. It will fit any half dollar, so you won't need to worry about searching for some (except the 1970's coins for some reason).

I would only use the other companies for getting custom work on rarer coins.

But perhaps I would change my mind if I were to try these other coin companies.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4805 Posts

Profile of videoman
For a Morgan to fit on virtually any other Morgan it would have to have a looser fit, which would probably be fine but obviously the closer the fit the better.
That's why I would be leery of buying a shell alone, although you could most likely find a regular coin to fit inside of it at your coin shops.

But why not just get at least one other regular Morgan when you order the shell from Todd or Jamie that is guaranteed to fit properly.
With a really nice fitting shell they are extremely quiet which is so nice as you can handle them so freely. I can't speak for all of them but the Morgan I just got from Lassen I can super easily toss in the air or from hand to hand and you would never know there is a shell on it.

Same with Flippers BTW. I have a Swadling Morgan and when closed it's noisy if not handled gently. Whereas my Morgan flipper from Todd can be tossed around (or secretly dropped from Classic to finger palm) and it's totally noisefree.

My advice is not to skimp on it because you will be able to use it the rest of your life (as long as you don't drop it, ouch). Plus, most of the higher end coin gaffs from reputable makers hold their value pretty well so if things changed and you no longer wanted it you could still recoup most or all of your investment.
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Thanks for the replies so far.

I wasn't aware that Joe made shells as well; he's got an excellent reputation, I'd love to hear more thoughts about his work on coins.

I may very well end up just going with a Johnson as I'm just looking to get the job done as well. However, I don't want to be overly afraid that someone will notice it. I've heard about many people who are satisfied enough with their half dollar sized Johnsons but could I hear about anyone's experience with a Morgan or other dollar sized Johnson coins? It's pretty affordable and if it sounds like a decent option, I may take that up.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7036 Posts

Profile of bowers
Joes magical morgan set is a great coin set.
The fit of the shell with the coins is awesome.
And they will stick to a magnet.
I think he still sells this for 125.00
Todd
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Wow, Todd... I looked on Joe's site but I didn't see those Magical Morgan Sets.. I was thinking about some ideas with magnetic coins recently and I can see those coins fulfilling quite a few purposes for me. My only concern is the sound of those coins... Are they really that realistic? I'd be quite disappointed to end up with coins that didn't feel quite real to me. If I handed them to a coin collector, could they immediately tell that they were fake? I always like being able to hand out anything I perform with... I suppose I could make a small sacrifice and stop letting people touch my props, but I'd still like to hear more about the quality on those coins as far as realism... What an excellent price though; thank you.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7036 Posts

Profile of bowers
Go to his home page look to the left for magical morgans.
Click on it and there about a 1/4 way down.I noticed they
have went up to 135.00 dollars.Their worth it.

Side by side with a real morgan you won't see a difference.
Acoarse they don't have that silver clink when drop on each other.
But they are amazing.I use mine all the time.I have 2 sets.
Not sure about a coin collector telling the difference by sight.
But we are performing to a audience right.
Ask the guys that own them here and they will tell you.
Todd Smile
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4805 Posts

Profile of videoman
If a coin collector noticed they weren't real just explain that you have too much respect for the coins to use 100 year old coins every night. They'll probably like you even more.
But seriously, that's going to be such a rare occurrence that it really shouldn't even be a factor in your decision.
Now having said, I personally don't care for the Magical Morgan's. Not because they are not realistic enough, but this is one instance where I just prefer the real thing.
But that's just my own silly personal preference and is not based on any intelligent thinking or facts.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2027 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
[quote]On Sep 12, 2015, Zephury wrote:
I understand that these sort of questions have been asked many times, but I would prefer a more personalized answer as per my specific questions. Thanks!

1. Is there any negatives to getting a shimmed half? If I were to need one in the future, I would hate to have to pay such another drastic amount of money if I'm to buy from Todd Lassen or Jamie Schoolcraft.. Does it mess with fit? [quote]
Three ways a shim can be fitted to a shell -- glued on, taped on (like under a teflon disc), or recessed into the shell. The first two will take away from the amount of "coverage" the shell could provide without the shim. While it seems a recessed one would not, since it sits flush with the rest of the inside of the shell, the shell would have to be made thick enough to accommodate the recess, which in turn would likely lead to a bit less coverage than a non-shimmed shell. I think the versatility of a shimmed shell outweighs the loss in coverage -- especially for a Morgan (vs a half dollar) as there's more coverage to work with in general.

Quote:
2. I notice that Jamie offers just a stand alone shell (not a set) that's quite affordable compared to whole sets. I have plenty of coin shops in the area that I've gone and gotten many coins from in the past of which match, however are they being honest when selling an expanded shell set that they give you perfectly fitting coins? Is it just a matter of searching for the right fit or do they do something to ensure if fits correctly with just those coins? I'm interested in your experiences of doing this sort of thing... Is it just as good just buying a shell then putting in the effort to find the right coins to go inside? Please let me know. Also; has Todd Lassen been known to sell just a shell for a similar price as Jamie? His site doesn't mention anything.

I've taken my half dollar shells to coin shops and found well fitting matches. To some extent, it's a matter of time savings - especially if you don't have ready access to a coin shop that will let you sift through their stuff. I'm sure Todd would sell just a shell, but it won't likely have a "near vacuum" fit that a matched set would have. Best way to work with Todd is to pick up the phone and call him.

Quote:
3. Whats your opinion on Johnson Morgan expanded shells? I understand you're not going to get the same luxurious quality as with Lassen or Jamie, but are they still worth using? Please explain what issues you may or may not have with this sort of thing if possible. I work in restaurants and private parties currently, I'm not looking to fool magicians in to thinking I'm not using a shell, or letting someone closely examine the coins in my hand... I ring the shell in, do my routine, ring it out, no big deal.

A Johnson shell would serve you just as well as any other in that regard. Same "issues" w/respect to finding matches for fit, wear, and patina (coloring).
I recently got one as part of a trade I made and it's fine, real silver, and $9 less than a non-silver Mogar Magical Morgan shell.

http://www.johnsonmagicproducts.com/shop......fe43e88a
http://joemogar.tripod.com/id24.html
manreb
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of manreb
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2015, Zephury wrote:

1. Is there any negatives to getting a shimmed half? If I were to need one in the future, I would hate to have to pay such another drastic amount of money if I'm to buy from Todd Lassen or Jamie Schoolcraft.. Does it mess with fit? Not with fit but a small bit of coverage, very small.

2. I notice that Jamie offers just a stand alone shell (not a set) that's quite affordable compared to whole sets. I have plenty of coin shops in the area that I've gone and gotten many coins from in the past of which match, however are they being honest when selling an expanded shell set that they give you perfectly fitting coins? .....Yes I believe that they are being honest.
Is it just a matter of searching for the right fit or do they do something to ensure if fits correctly with just those coins? I'm interested in your experiences of doing this sort of thing... Is it just as good just buying a shell then putting in the effort to find the right coins to go inside?..... There are several reasons for getting a set. First there is usually a match of wear and patina, this is usually more difficult then finding coins to fit the shell (stand in the coin store and find coins that fit)

Please let me know. Also; has Todd Lassen been known to sell just a shell for a similar price as Jamie? ......I cannot remember Todd selling just the shell, Todd's price's are usually less expensive than Jaime
His site doesn't mention anything. ....Call Todd
3. Whats your opinion on Johnson Morgan expanded shells? a good shell.... The distortion is bad but not extremely noticeable if you don't try to soften it.

is you I understand you're not going to get the same luxurious quality as with Lassen or Jamie, but are they still worth using? ....Yes it is worth using, it is usually lighter then Lassen or Schoolcraft.

Please explain what issues you may or may not have with this sort of thing if possible. I work in restaurants and private parties currently, I'm not looking to fool magicians in to thinking I'm not using a shell, or letting someone closely examine the coins in my hand... I ring the shell in, do my routine, ring it out, no big deal.

Note: I do have experience with using shells, I don't want to get the Johnson shell just to see if I like it or anything... I know what I'm going to be doing with it if I do get one. My current shell is just a half dollar and I prefer working with Morgans (dollar sized coins) now.

If you've been in similar shoes as me when it comes to not being able to decide, I'd love to hear what you went for and how it worked out for you. Thanks!
jmagic
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of jmagic
Joe Mogar has an Expanded Morgan shell that is equal to if not better than any other on the market.
The shell is Guaranteed to meet all your specifications. The price is $165. If you want
a shell and 4 coins the price is $310. You will be more than happy with the coins.
Also he has the very best Morgan flipper ( no rubber band )on the Market.Price $240.
This is the original flipper that uses Elastic thread. A few other makers have tried to
copy,but have not been able to equal the same quality.
Check www.joemogar.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Questions about shell options... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL