The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins Across in the hands (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
I've been working on a 4 coins across, using no duplicates, shells, or gimmicks and is completely in the hands. I'm very happy with it so far but I'm curious as to if there's any other published items like this that I can explore and get a feel for other methods that people have come up with for this sort of criteria.
Thanks for any replies in advance.

-Harley Salas
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8642 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have some un-published ones. Didn't know anyone was interested since they involve learning new sleights.

Contact me if you don't find what you need.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3793 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
There are a few on volume one of the New York Coin Magic Seminar DVD series. I use a three coin coins across called Talahasse Jumping Coins in my Penguin Live lecture and in one of the last volumes in the NYCMS series.
First edition sold out in RECORD TIME, but don't despair, you can still get your signed copy and special FREE GIFT ( only available when you order from me)!! Taking pre-orders NOW!! Second printing shipping in one week, so don't wait!!
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! To pre-order, email me at rubinsteindvm@aol.com for info.
ORDER YOURS TODAY!!
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Funsway, I'd love to see what work you have on this sort of thing if you're willing to share.

Michael, when it comes to the NYCMS series, I know that there's a ton of excellent material there and I'm sure I'd learn a LOT of stuff from it, the only reason I've yet to purchase it is because of the price tag. I'll get it eventually. I do have your Penguin Live lecture and I remember seeing your Tallahassee Jumping Coins but it didn't register in my head as completely in the hands-- I didn't make that observation; I'll go watch it again tonight. Thanks! I could use a memory refresher on your material; I've been working almost exclusively with coins lately and I admire your creativity.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5316 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Winged Silver by David Roth.

Jim
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4834 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I will have some in the hands, Ungaffed 4 and 3 coins Across Handleings in my 2 th. Hardbound Book! Hopefully Comeing out by the end of the year or so!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
8642 Posts

Profile of funsway
Happy to help here, but for discussion to help other readers, why is it important to achieve the end results without using na extra coin, gaff, gimmick, etc?

Will it appear more magical to the audience? Desire to use any four small objects in a true impromptu setting? Why four coins specifically? One at a time or grouped?

Usually, a multi-stage effect works by playing with audience anticipation and surprise -- just when they think they have it figured out you cross them up.

One to get attention, two to set a pattern, three to provide a false premise, and four to knock their socks off, or something.

What will be the story told after?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
8642 Posts

Profile of funsway
On further reflection, why not make the challenge more restrictive than "four coins only and bare hands? No extras, gaffs, boxes, purses, cards -- nothing.

Add in "your hands must never physically touch each other.!" Or the coins in the other hand. No resorting or positioning coins in the fingers as in most 3Fly.

Not that anyone would care except magicians -- just an exercise.

J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5316 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Winged Silver still fits the bill! (As long as a shuttle pass doesn’t count as touching... Smile )

Jim
Invisticone
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Invisticone
I can't think of 4 across with those conditions off the top of my head..

From your other posts I'm sure you are aquainted with Pont's 3 across, which I've never practiced but fits criteria if memory serves.

Brandon Wolf also has an interesting 3 across in his "Wolf" dvd.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
8642 Posts

Profile of funsway
In the Roth version of Winged Silver he passes the coins from fingers to fingers several times - the fingers of both hands are touching the coins at the same time, and undesirable repositioning.

Ponta version does not but can use a tossing action, I guess.

but both use "something extra," no?

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
@funsway, that approach to the trick came from entirely audience perspective design aesthetic choices. The magician moves the coins with his attention.

Jerry Deutsch asked about making one coin travel but making each transit more interesting than the one before. Only been thirty years noodling with that.

Current thought: There may be something to having a coin travel one quality at a time; first the clink, then the shape, then the visual. playing up the bit with a coin folded into an envelope on the vanish side. See it go in, shape in paper, maybe a glimpse of silver through cellophane window... Something Curtis Kam suggested a while ago as fun effect - taking the sound out of coin.

Still working on the Harbin/Sawa little by little effect.

Reginald Scot was onto something when saying that basic methods can bring about many and varied effects.

@OP@ methods are not supposed to exist for audiences, just resultant effects. It's like having the coins signed by volunteers each in different colored marker... You could do that but it's still contrived, more fuss to carry and still not likely as strong as using a borrowed coin in the effect.

Remember, Ross Bertram and others were making coins travel in groups ... lots to explore if you go looking.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5316 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2015, funsway wrote:
In the Roth version of Winged Silver he passes the coins from fingers to fingers several times - the fingers of both hands are touching the coins at the same time, and undesirable repositioning.

Those are shuttle passes and the fingers don't necessarily touch.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2918 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Chris Kenner has a coins across that is completely in the hands in his book. Forgot the name of it.
I j
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
When it comes to David Roth's, it's an excellent routine but conventionally, it uses a table..

For my current routine, I'm very happy with it and not every coin that goes across is the same, in fact they're all different. The first coin goes across normally with a friction palm, the second coin I ask them to listen for, however I use a back clip for this and I'm interested in exploring other methods for when performing at bad angles, for the third one, I have them hold the two that have already gone across in their open hand.. I release the third coin to go across from cp and they feel it land in their hand, and I then go to do the last coin in my own hands, but every coin back fires and all four coins are found in the starting hand. During this entire process, I don't count the coins out or remove them from the hands, nothing is on a table.. The thing I really like about mine is that I don't have to set coins down and do click passes, or anything of the sort, I like just having the coins go across as if my actual magic, seemingly no room for sleight of hand to take place. Like I said though; the only thing that is making me unsatisfied with my current version is that I have one coin back clipped for a moment or two and I'm looking to see what other methods might be able to accomplish something similar without having to make it angly. I'm going to make a video to show my current work on it and what I do or do not like. PM me if you're interested in seeing it and I'll send it over. Hopefully I don't find it in a book. Thanks for all the excellent replies. Once I finish reworking my current sets, I'll start restaurant work again and get some shows booked; once the money starts coming, I'll be sure to make a few long over due purchases from both Michael Rubinstein and David Neighbors. Hopefully I'll get to see more of your works soon.

If anyone has any experience with Chris Kenner's as mentioned by fonda, I'd be interested in hearing about it more.

funsway, I don't currently have a shell for my Morgans and I don't like using half dollar sized coins which I do have a shell for. I'm not overly against using an extra coin but I already have a version that uses a table with an extra coin and I was just exploring the idea of having something where I need no gimmicks or extras and I can be confident with pure sleight of hand, nothing to hide. I do 3 different coins across effects for different scenarios and I don't limit myself to anything, however I do enjoy pursuing challenges like this one. It's just preference for now I guess.

As to Ponta's 3 coins across, yes it's excellent; I guess I'm just stuck in the world of following rules and wanting to stick with the conventional 4 coins across.

-Harley
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2918 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I've done the Kenner one a few times, and though it's somewhat difficult, it sure is fun. There's a lot of bpalming, which to me is difficult, so I use halves for that one. You might say it's an open palm coins across.
I j
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 13, 2015, Zephury wrote:
When it comes to David Roth's, it's an excellent routine but conventionally, it uses a table...

David Roth has a routine that meets your requirments - standup, only four coins...
- the first two coins travel with no fussing between the first and second coins.
You then show your hand palm up - only two coins and ... well he made a lot of knowing magicians start thinking again with what he does next.
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Thank you everyone for your responses.

Jonathan, is that routine published anywhere that you're talking about or is there a performance I can watch somewhere? It's probably a sin that I haven't read or watched everything that David Roth has published. The only two coins acrosses (aside from unique plots using glasses and other more intricate things) that I'm familiar with is his shelled version and "Winged Silver" when it comes to conventional presentation/methods, those are the only ones I've seen.

Thanks!

-Harley
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Hi Harley, you might ask Michael Rubenstein about this one - volume 9 of the NY Coin Magic Symposium DVDs.
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
658 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
It's also in his book expert coin magic, but it is worth seeing it on DVD just to see that it is possible! It's not easy by any stretch, but you are very far ahead throughout the routine.

If I am using just 2 hands, 4 coins and no table, I use the methods from Greg Wilson's 3/4 across or Sankey's clean coins acorss with 4 coins, but for the last one, I will place 3 coins on their outstretched hand and instruct someone else to hold my left wrist (stealing the coin in the process), then instruct the spec to hold the other 3 coins tightly (adding the 4th) and voila.

That ending has got me out of a few tight spots when a shell has got stuck too!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins Across in the hands (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL