The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins Across in the hands (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Thanks for the reference, Jonathan and David; it's really a shame too because I have David Roth's book and I obviously haven't read it enough. I'll go check it out later on tonight. Thank you. I definitely have to get around to buying the NYCMS series.

-Harley
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
726 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2015, funsway wrote:
Happy to help here, but for discussion to help other readers, why is it important to achieve the end results without using an extra coin, gaff, gimmick, etc?

Probably money. It's the same reason all of my routines with morgans aren't' gaffed. A s***l alone is over a hundred bucks.
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
That's the main reason, Herr. I do have 7 Morgans, but I don't have a shell for my Morgans-- only for my Kennedy halves which I don't particularly care to use anymore.

I just now about 10 minutes ago finished my coins across... I'm at a point now where I'm extremely happy with it.

Thank you Invisticone for mentioning Ponta the Smith's three-coins across. I reviewed that and though I wont be using his routine (I'm trying to create 2 or 3 sets of material that is original to me) I did like his shuttle pass with all of the coins still remaining in his hand and no use of a table. After the first coin went across and I get one ahead for the second coin to jump across, I had it concealed in a back clip or goshman pinch? (I get the two confused, if anyone has seen my video, I would appreciate some clarification on the name of it) and though I love that method of showing just one coin in my hand, it was angley, so when I do it under circumstances where I will have angle issues, I'll use a variation of Ponta's shuttle pass which isn't angle sensitive at all.

As for the other moves (to those who have seen my video) I didn't change the moves, I just figured out a more natural way to steal the third coin which doesn't flash at all though it still looks the same otherwise; it's hard to explain... And then for the finale, I just checked myself in a mirror for a few minutes and learned how I can consistently never flash with that move. If this sounds like gibberish to anyone, I'm sorry. I tried explaining it in words but that's something I'm not too good at. Once I get the routine down to second nature, I'll consider posting a performance video.

One more thing that I would be interested in perhaps learning about is other moves comparable to Ponta's Shuttle pass as I don't care for the amount of flashiness (if that's even the appropriate word) that his gives it. So for reference to anyone whose either familiar with his 3 coins across or has his DVD, "Sick.." I'm speaking about the second sleight in to the routine where he does a shuttle of sorts with the other coin still remaining in his hand. It's a good idea but again, I don't care for how it looks though it is perfectly deceptive. That's the only thing I'll be messing around with to see if I can make it look different.

Thanks everyone!

-Harley Salas
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8642 Posts

Profile of funsway
There are many things that can be done with an extra coin in play that cannot be done with a shell.

Consider that an EXP [ is a method for concealing the fact that an extra coin is in play rathe than just a "quick join" ability.

Next ask, "How do I conceal an extra coin so that both hands can be shown with an accurate count?" Doesn't matter how many coins there are 2, 3, 4 or more -- having the audience see all of the coins at once is an advantage.

Back Palm and Pinch are one approach. There are other ways of "Idling" a coin. The point being you do not have to wait for an expensive Shell in order to enhance your ability to create astonishment.

Also, what an observer remembers you doing is more important than what you actually did. Learning new techniques may not be as important as learning new ways to astonish.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8637 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2015, Zephury wrote:
That's the main reason, Herr. I do have 7 Morgans, but I don't have a shell for my Morgans-- only for my Kennedy halves which I don't particularly care to use anymore.

I just now about 10 minutes ago finished my coins across... I'm at a point now where I'm extremely happy with it.

Thank you Invisticone for mentioning Ponta the Smith's three-coins across. I reviewed that and though I wont be using his routine (I'm trying to create 2 or 3 sets of material that is original to me) I did like his shuttle pass with all of the coins still remaining in his hand and no use of a table. After the first coin went across and I get one ahead for the second coin to jump across, I had it concealed in a back clip or goshman pinch? (I get the two confused, if anyone has seen my video, I would appreciate some clarification on the name of it) and though I love that method of showing just one coin in my hand, it was angley, so when I do it under circumstances where I will have angle issues, I'll use a variation of Ponta's shuttle pass which isn't angle sensitive at all.

As for the other moves (to those who have seen my video) I didn't change the moves, I just figured out a more natural way to steal the third coin which doesn't flash at all though it still looks the same otherwise; it's hard to explain... And then for the finale, I just checked myself in a mirror for a few minutes and learned how I can consistently never flash with that move. If this sounds like gibberish to anyone, I'm sorry. I tried explaining it in words but that's something I'm not too good at. Once I get the routine down to second nature, I'll consider posting a performance video.

One more thing that I would be interested in perhaps learning about is other moves comparable to Ponta's Shuttle pass as I don't care for the amount of flashiness (if that's even the appropriate word) that his gives it. So for reference to anyone whose either familiar with his 3 coins across or has his DVD, "Sick.." I'm speaking about the second sleight in to the routine where he does a shuttle of sorts with the other coin still remaining in his hand. It's a good idea but again, I don't care for how it looks though it is perfectly deceptive. That's the only thing I'll be messing around with to see if I can make it look different.

Thanks everyone!

-Harley Salas

That's whats so good about Coins Across, the creativity part. You can make the thing your own. There's so many things you can do, and there are some really great ones like, Homer Liwag's Coin One, there's Ponta's, Roths, Sylvester The Jester's, Pop Haydin's, Vinnie Marini, Eric Jones, with or without a [, and they're all different. Heck, I even got one or two myself, Smile and Master coin man here, David Neighbors got a million of 'em…but he's got a million of everything. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2918 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I have never seen Ponta the Smith, I guess I should get the video, if it's not toooo expensive Smile

Never seen Homar Liwag, either.

Good coins across: David Williamson's Cross Eyed Coins Across. Can be done in a spectator's hands, so you don't need a table.
I j
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7041 Posts

Profile of bowers
I also second Winged silver.
I learned mine in Modern Coin Magic dvd
taught by our own Ben Salinas
Todd
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Yes, MB; that's what I'm enjoying so much about it right now.

Fonda, I highly recommend you watch Ponta the Smith's DVD "Sick" and Homer Liwag's "CoinOne." The reason there aren't a lot of people performing their routines though is because they're not all that easy. Out of the two, I would choose Ponta the Smith's DVD if I were to only get one as Ponta has many different routines on his DVD, all of them have some interesting ideas, but again; it might be impractical for some as it's not easy. Non the less, they both share some great ideas that you can add to your bank of knowledge and make use of and it's very interesting to watch and just see how technically capable guys like Ponta the Smith are.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8637 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Ponta The Smith burst on the scene with his SICK dvd a few years back. There was much discussion here on it and all the routines he sorta revolutionized. Most of them are originally by others but he kicked them up a notch with his stylized approach and sorta became legendary here and about the world.

His work and especially that of underground sensation, Homer Liwag, are legendary pieces of coin magic. Yes, they are not necessarily easy but well-worth learning for all the unique twists & turns such elite creativity comes up with every now & again that help move us all forward.

These routines are exciting, and I happen to like Liwag's take a bit better than Ponta's, only because there is more happening in the background to it, and Homer I believe always did this along a patter line when presenting it. Ponta's is much shorter and more of a nice medley of moves done silently. Both are great and to each his own. Smile

When I was coming up with my own takes on Coins Across, I was first motivated by Michael Ammar's dvd. His Simple or Easy Coins Across got me going and thinking further. I eventually came up with my own take, KrazyKoinZ Across, where I blended several moves to create a good little routine with a lot of versatility to it. My also deep respect for Jay Sankey's work also influenced me, and his seminal, "Mr. Clean Coins Across," (So sorry to not have mentioned him above) which I would believe was even more popular when it came out than either Homer or Ponta's takes on the genre? I still think people do his routine much more than either Ponta or Liwag, probably because it's a bit easier to do, but still quite baffling. Anyway, his stealth use of Tenkai inspired me to better use and create with the move, and it became an importantly creative part of my KrazyKoinZ and my coming up with the "10 Switch" application. Smile

So yeah, the more you know, the more tools you have to use and possibly create something with…And you never know, it could be something big. Smile If not, well, then it might still be something at least fun for you and others. Smile

Good journey! Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4834 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hay MB. I will only Have 45 coins Across routines In Vol. No. 2 So not Quite A Million! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4854 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Boomerang coins. Taught in 21st Century Coin Mechanics. 4 coins, no extras or gaffs,in the hands with no table,no shuttle pass. Click the link by my name.
for info and video clips.

Larry
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Larry, I told myself that I've gotta stop buying books dvds and other magic things for a while as I'm in terrible shape monetarily right now... However, I will take the plunge and buy your book as soon as I can.

It seems like you practically wrote the book with me in mind, I can't believe that I hadn't heard of it. You mention multiple items that I've researched lately and you describe them in your book description exactly per my specifications on what I'd like to accomplish with the effects. I'm interested to learn what you've got in that book.

Thanks!
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2918 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Larry Jennings has one in The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings. Four coins, no table.
I j
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4854 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Quote:
On Sep 15, 2015, fonda57 wrote:
Larry Jennings has one in The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings. Four coins, no table.

No table but you need the spectator's hands as a surface to do the final move.
Also the right hand crosses over the left several times which I think looks suspicious to the observer.
The effect is called Easy Expert Coins Across.

Larry
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Sent you a pm
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
daniel116
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of daniel116
This is a very simple in the hands 4 coins across that I sometimes do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHJm2NT7puU
It was filmed at 3am so don't judge too much haha
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
I like the sound effects!
Reality is a real killjoy.
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Excellent coins across, Daniel.

The move you used for the second coin is very similar to what I do in mine, however I do more of the type of move used in Ponta the Smith's Tenkai Pennies if you're familiar with it. Personally, I think I prefer yours better, is that in print or taught anywhere to your knowledge or is it something that you just came up with?
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5316 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2015, Zephury wrote:
Excellent coins across, Daniel.

The move you used for the second coin is very similar to what I do in mine, however I do more of the type of move used in Ponta the Smith's Tenkai Pennies if you're familiar with it. Personally, I think I prefer yours better, is that in print or taught anywhere to your knowledge or is it something that you just came up with?

That move is in both Jay Sankey's "Mr. Clean Coins" and Gregory Wilson's "3/4 Coins Across". Greg's is on his "On the Spot" DVD.

Jim
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
I have on the spot, thanks.. Man I guess I never pay enough attention to the things I already have, aha.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins Across in the hands (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL