The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins Across in the hands (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5316 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2015, Zephury wrote:
I have on the spot, thanks.. Man I guess I never pay enough attention to the things I already have, aha.

I think Greg refers to it as the pointer change - something like that. Pretty deceptive when done well!

Jim
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Zephury... disregard the video I sent you... I just always get excited when I see the phrase COINS ACROSS... Mine was to another spectator's hands. I must say that Daniel116's video was excellent!
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
daniel116
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of daniel116
Thank you very much Rannie, I remember watching a video of you on Youtube, about 5 years ago maybe even more, doing 4 coins across into spectator's hand, I used to watch that video so many times!
Zephury you should get Jay Sankey's Revolutionary Coin Magic DVD, it is without a doubt one of the best coin magic DVDs out there, it's filled with great routines with original moves that you can later on use to build your own routines.
My routine uses the first two phases of Sankey's "Mr.Clean Coins Across", and the last two coins are transferred using a method I saw Chris Kenner doing in a video long ago, it's basically the same move as the first two, just with two coins instead of one.
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
I actually have Jay Sankey's Revolutionary Coin Magic as well, his corniness just makes me giggle a little too much for me to pay attention, I'll go review it now.
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Rannie, there's no reason for me to ignore yours. I apologize, I didn't watch it until now. Your performance is excellent and reminds me that it's not just the handling that makes it entertaining, the gag you did in the beginning I'd say greatly enhanced your effect. I'll have to post my finalized routine soon though watching these videos have given me the thought that mine could possibly have a couple of moves changed around or slightly altered. I'm exploring the idea of altering it now, I just have to figure out what will suit me best.

Thanks!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8638 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2015, J-Mac wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2015, Zephury wrote:
I have on the spot, thanks.. Man I guess I never pay enough attention to the things I already have, aha.

I think Greg refers to it as the pointer change - something like that. Pretty deceptive when done well!

Jim

Think it's called the "Pointing Transfer." Not sure who originally came up with it, but it's a slick move, perhaps probably something initially relative to Tenkai. Smile

It is very deceptive, and yes, when done well it is imperceptible. I use it in my Tenkai Pennies PhD within my Ike & Mike's Revenge, which basically is a sorta "2 Coins Across" routine. Man, didn't realize I had one of those. Smile

Anyway, it's an old move but I remember it mostly from Sankey's grand appreciation for it, shown in his wonderful works in the genre. Again his "Mr. Clean Coins Across," is still perhaps the most popular coins across I've seen around.

When I put together my Coins Across version, I strived to do things outside the box, or at least mix in a few newish things, not often used. When you do something that you don't see others do much if at all in the genre, then you're playing pretty good, and a bit off the beaten path. Smile Though mixin' & matchin' old things works well enough as to something sorta new too. It's all good. Smile

Always good to have a nice Coins Across in your pocket to do for people. I do mine (KrazyKoinZ) just about everyday, practice and or presentation. Smile Truly, many ways to skin a cat with this old classic. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8642 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have performed what I refer to as a "Flying Point Transfer" since 1982 -- called SwayOn

I had never seen a "Flying Shuttle" or a "Point Transfer" until I saw the Sankey DVD a couple of years ago.

In mine the hands do not touch and is an extension of other Toss moves found in SwayMagic methods.

I have dozens of effects that use this sleight and it is described in "T.U.C. Appreciation." The point is that it is an extremely flexible and powerful move,
especially when a Pattern has been established such as a Flying Shuttle. It is used in all of my Coins Across/3Fly routines, CSB, etc.

MY favorite is "Vanishing Choice" that is an impromptu "impossible" effect as a lead into other coin effects - and can be done with other small objects as well.

Just send me a request to funsway@eversway.com for a copy if you are willing to provide feedback.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8638 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Funs' work was eye-opening for me from way back. Think we were thinking of some of the same stuff as to all this. He's a tremendous thinker and tinkerer as to magic. His work is quite thorough, and well worth checking out. Smile

*And as to "Coins Across in the hands" here, Eric Jones' performance on "Penn & Teller's Fool Us" last night was a really nice take, especially as to the "...In the hands" part of things. Smile Brilliantly done! Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2015, funsway wrote:
There are many things that can be done with an extra coin in play that cannot be done with a shell.

Consider that an EXP [ is a method for concealing the fact that an extra coin is in play rathe than just a "quick join" ability.

Next ask, "How do I conceal an extra coin so that both hands can be shown with an accurate count?" Doesn't matter how many coins there are 2, 3, 4 or more -- having the audience see all of the coins at once is an advantage.

Back Palm and Pinch are one approach. There are other ways of "Idling" a coin. The point being you do not have to wait for an expensive Shell in order to enhance your ability to create astonishment.

Also, what an observer remembers you doing is more important than what you actually did. Learning new techniques may not be as important as learning new ways to astonish.

What they remember.This brings back memories of my criminal justice professor talking about eye witness accounts being unreliable, and then me working that into several (not consecutive) effects.
griz326
View Profile
New user
Eureka, Montana
75 Posts

Profile of griz326
"...a nice medley of moves done silently."

Very nicely said, Mb217, but I think you've put your finger on exactly what put me off about his work. IMO, the result is "magicless".

Don't get me wrong, I wish that I could do that! In fact, I bought both of his DVDs and will learn from them.

But for now, I'm working on Mb217's Grandpa's Coins 2.

Really liked Ponta's 4 coin shuttle pass.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins Across in the hands (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL