The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Harry Lorayne's JAW DROPPERS! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (47 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2015, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Writeall: When you send in your order, ask the same question, and then we can discuss it. I'll breathlessly await.


I think I'm gonna have to wait for the reviews. You know how it is - too many people get screwed on pre-orders. Don't take it personally, it's the nature of the beast.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8447 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
So far, Mr. writeall, after - let's see - 55 or so YEARS!!! - nobody has EVER gotten screwed on a pre-order of any of my (35 or so) books, 20 years of a monthly magazine, lecture notes, what-have-you. Why do I have the feeling that you're "full of it." Don't take it personally, of course, just the nature of THIS beast!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2015, writeall wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2015, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Writeall: When you send in your order, ask the same question, and then we can discuss it. I'll breathlessly await.


I think I'm gonna have to wait for the reviews. You know how it is - too many people get screwed on pre-orders. Don't take it personally, it's the nature of the beast.


Hey Writeall, Harry has never written a bad book and he certainly has no garbage in his repertoire. Reviews can be Ok, but in this case, none needed.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2015, Steven Conner wrote:

Hey Writeall, Harry has never written a bad book and he certainly has no garbage in his repertoire. Reviews can be Ok, but in this case, none needed.


I have several, they are quite good. I hope this one is too. While I wait to find out, maybe I'll reread "Best of Friends" for inspiration. That was particularly good as I recall.

When you receive Mr. Lorayne's latest, perhaps you would be kind enough to post a review?
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2015, Harry Lorayne wrote:
So far, Mr. writeall, after - let's see - 55 or so YEARS!!! - nobody has EVER gotten screwed on a pre-order of any of my (35 or so) books, 20 years of a monthly magazine, lecture notes, what-have-you. Why do I have the feeling that you're "full of it." Don't take it personally, of course, just the nature of THIS beast!


No offense taken. I can see how it would be frustrating to have one's reputation tainted by others in the industry who abuse the pre-order mechanism. It's a shame, really.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8447 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Psychobabble?
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8255 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Harry, I have a hard time trying to understand and digest written instruction, especially when there are sleights involved. "Left pinky here, right index finger under 4th card from the bottom" etc. can you confirm whether your book contains such text? Written instruction is just not everybody's cup of tea, and I for one learn far better when being visually shown, ie a DVD. I realise you have photos too but that sometimes compounds the issue for me.

Would this be a concern to potential buyers such as myself?
billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2015, writeall wrote:

I can see how it would be frustrating to have one's reputation tainted by others in the industry who abuse the pre-order mechanism. It's a shame, really.


Forgive me, but this statement makes no sense. Mr. Lorayne's reputation has not been tainted in any way, shape, or form by the actions of those who have abused the pre-order mechanism. I am bewildered sometimes by the way people try to make a point. I can respect the notion of waiting for a review before ordering a book, but I cannot accept ridiculous comments such as the one quoted.
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2015, pegasus wrote:
Harry, I have a hard time trying to understand and digest written instruction, especially when there are sleights involved. "Left pinky here, right index finger under 4th card from the bottom" etc. can you confirm whether your book contains such text? Written instruction is just not everybody's cup of tea, and I for one learn far better when being visually shown, ie a DVD. I realise you have photos too but that sometimes compounds the issue for me.

Would this be a concern to potential buyers such as myself?


Harry is probably the greatest teacher of all time. Learning from his books isn't difficult. Obviously you don't have any of his works, what a pity, you are missing the best card stuff on the planet.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2015, pegasus wrote:
Harry, I have a hard time trying to understand and digest written instruction, especially when there are sleights involved. "Left pinky here, right index finger under 4th card from the bottom" etc. can you confirm whether your book contains such text? Written instruction is just not everybody's cup of tea, and I for one learn far better when being visually shown, ie a DVD. I realise you have photos too but that sometimes compounds the issue for me.

Would this be a concern to potential buyers such as myself?



Are you for real?

This was how us old timers learn.... It took effort to learn and once we found our routines, we stuck with them.. We made them our own. I have been doing some routines for over 30 years that I learn from books.

Sitting down with cards in hand and reading the instructions from a book keeps your brain sharp.


Ray
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Well, Amen!! There are a lot of great undiscovered tricks that have been written. The reason gor their lack of discovery is there are no pictures. Just saying.

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
T.G. Jones
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of T.G. Jones
This is one release I would buy without seeing a review. No hype required.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8255 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2015, Magical Dimensions wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2015, pegasus wrote:
Harry, I have a hard time trying to understand and digest written instruction, especially when there are sleights involved. "Left pinky here, right index finger under 4th card from the bottom" etc. can you confirm whether your book contains such text? Written instruction is just not everybody's cup of tea, and I for one learn far better when being visually shown, ie a DVD. I realise you have photos too but that sometimes compounds the issue for me.

Would this be a concern to potential buyers such as myself?



Are you for real?

This was how us old timers learn.... It took effort to learn and once we found our routines, we stuck with them.. We made them our own. I have been doing some routines for over 30 years that I learn from books.

Sitting down with cards in hand and reading the instructions from a book keeps your brain sharp.


Ray


You obviously don't have young children.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8447 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
And you obviously haven't read any of my books. (Many hundreds have told me over the years that my THE MAGIC BOOK is what they gave to their young children, and that those young children LEARNED from that book.) You really need to do just a tiny bit of research.

And, interesting, do you have my "Best Ever" 4-volume DVD set - since you "learn far better when visually shown..." HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
I have Close up Card Magic,Reputation Makers,& Rim Shots by Harry Lorayne & will never part with them.

I also have a friend in magic (who I haven't seen for years) called Robert Gardener.He lent me many of Harrys books. He also contributed to the Appocalypse magazine on many occasions.I have him to thank for guiding me towards Mr Lorayne.

His routines were & still are THE BEST.

I will get this book. Really no questions have to be asked by me. It's Harry & to be honest he is one of the GODS of card magic(& that is not an over statement).

It's funny and sad really if people come on here and because we are lucky that Mr Lorayne responds to us, we maybe suggest that what he releases will be anything less than fantastic.
I don't even have to know the contents. It's Harry Lorayne & that's it.

Mike Donoghue Pro. Magician.

www.mikedonoghuemagician.co.uk
IanB
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby
202 Posts

Profile of IanB
It's rare that I post on the Café but I have to briefly comment on this thread.

I'm a stone cold Harry Lorayne fan and have read, digested just about everything he's published. I use more of his material and thinking in my professional work than any other writer/creator out there.

I ordered Jaw Droppers within minutes of receiving Harry's email. No brainier for me!

In modern times there is so much overhyped pre-release BS it's hard to see the wood for the trees. I can absolutely say that Harry is not and has never been part of that world.

He is the best teacher and writer of magic around IMHO. Any magician, amateur or professional would do well to study his work IMHO.

Anyway! Can't wait to get my hands on the book Harry and wish you the very best.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8447 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Guys - you make me blush. Thank you so much for those kind words, the kind of words that help to make it all worthwhile for me.

Now, here's what's interesting - who will wager that pegasus, after all your kind words, will still not order JAW DROPPERS!? Who will wager that he will? Interesting, no? Best - HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8447 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Truth be told, I'd just as soon he didn't purchase the book, because after all, he clearly states "especially when there are sleights involved." And, although I don't teach, don't use, never have, any difficult sleights at all (not even passes or top changes, certainly not second, center or bottom deals),there are some simple/standard sleights in the book and I do occasionally say "left pinky here, etc.". So I sure don't want/need him publicly (meaning here) complaining about that. Still no response as to whether he has my "Best Ever" 4-vol. DVD set, since he states "I for one learn far better when being visually shown, ie a DVD." Oh well.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8255 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I wouldn't buy anything from you Harry, truth be told.
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
533 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Harry is a living legend. If Vernon published a book at 90, you would buy it. Same thing here.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Harry Lorayne's JAW DROPPERS! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (47 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL