The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Harry Lorayne's JAW DROPPERS! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (47 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1221 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
Harry, I for one would have found it far easier to learn the Ultra Move if I had watched it performed so I find your attitude towards Pegasus unfair especially as you state you don't use or teach difficult sleights
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8441 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I don't tell the reader to use my Ultra Move in any item of JAW DROPPERS! So your post doesn't really "work" here. And what "attitude" are you talking about? He came into a thread about a book of mine, about me - uncalled for, but that's okay. But why expect me not to respond? And you know something else, cardbiker? I've been in magic for over 80 years!!! Met, befriended, learned from, magicians all over the world. I usually can tell who I'm talking to and who is TALKING TO ME.

And Pegasus: What a surprise!!! Your loss, buddy.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1221 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
And, although I don't teach, don't use, never have, any difficult sleights at all
The above was a direct quote from your previous post no reference at all to Jaw Droppers
Good luck with your book sales I'll join Pegasus in not buying it
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8251 Posts

Profile of pegasus
The only thing Jaw Dropping about you, Harry, is your terrible attitude.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8441 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Your loss, too, cardbiker. And just so that we all know who we're talking to, re: your statement: "...Harry, I for one would have found it far easier to learn the Ultra Move if I had watched it performed" - I teach it on two of my "Best Ever" DVD volumes. Have you ever purchased one of those SO THAT YOU COULD HAVE LEARNED IT EASIER? My friend, what in the world are you talking about?!

Oh, and just because YOU think something is difficult, that sure as h*ll doesn't make it so. Magicians ALL OVER THE WORLD, literally hundreds, perhaps thousands, of them, use my Ultra Move - and most learned it FROM MY BOOKS. So, again, what in the world are you talking about?

Your statements are making you look silly, so two suggestions - stop making those silly statements, and definitely don't buy any of my books - if I knew your real name and saw an order for one of my books from you - I'd return your payment. I'd just as soon you and pegasus never did any of my stuff. I'm sure you'd both louse up that stuff if you can only learn from DVDs and then never buy the good DVDs anyway.

Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8441 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Amazing - you come in here with your putdowns, pegasus, and now you talk about MY attitude. You really have to be kidding. Easily solved - stay out of any threads that have to do with me or mine, and as I say above - definitely don't buy any of my books. I love to teach, I really do - the one negative there is there are some that I really DON'T WANT TO TEACH. Very few - but two in this thread.

cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1221 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
My Real name is Tim Ward and don't fret I wouldn't give you the opportunity of returning my money,I've bought your books in the past but never again.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8441 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Good.

rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
Kreskin guessed that I had
924 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Yikes!! Smile Dialogues of this nature, particularly when it involves others who share a love of this art which we revere, depresses the **** out of me...
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8441 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Me too.

billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
If I have any money left over when I return from Orlando, I will definitely buy your new book. Your stuff is always top notch. You are one of a very few authors of card magic who can actually use the written word to clearly describe the moves. I own a large collection of DVDs, including "Best of...", which help to visualize certain aspects of the effects, but I prefer the written directions for ease of reference. Repeatedly backing up a video while holding cards and trying to duplicate the moves just doesn't work all that well for me. I am happy for those who can learn that way. The best of all worlds is to own both. Smile

Not just for card magic. Try using one of the available DVDs for learning how to solve a Rubik's cube without the written algorithms in front of you. I am sure it can be done, but I couldn't do it.
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
eric_e
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of eric_e
I ordered Jawdroppers today and like many others, I'm really looking forward to it.

But jumping back up 10 posts, I was sad to hear that it won't include any new uses of the Ultra Move, which I love. I have yet to discover anyone who comes up with more great uses of that move than Harry. What's so killer about it is that it can actually be done in slow motion, and it still works beautifully. I use it all the time, and it never fails to fool people, often including other magicians.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2471 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Hey Harry, there's an old proverb, "it's better to play with a bear robbed of her cubs than a fool full of big plans." Some people just don't get it.

Best
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
eric_e
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of eric_e
Sorry to have made Jaw Droppers one word above.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1822 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I'm 65, and I learned most of what I do from books. I like DVDs because I get to see great magicians, such as Harry Lorayne, perform. Most of the time, I don't bother with the explanations.

Harry's books are extremely well written, very clear and to the point--the best in the business. He's also done the incredible job of going over all his written works, doing some touching up and rewriting, and also providing new, photographic illustrations. Five volumes of "The Classic Collection" have been released, each volume containing multiple works, and they are amazing. It's not necessary that you be serious about magic, but if you are, these books are absolutely essential. They are a wonderful gift from Harry Lorayne to us and future generations.

The Ultra Move is a great move and a real fooler. It is, quite frankly, a bit too difficult for me to perform confidently. But so what? I don't do many card tricks, and there are many things in life I can't do.

I have over a thousand DVDs, but how many of them contain moves, effects and routines that I actually use? Maybe 20?

The real value of the DVDs, at least for me, is the joy of watching Harry in action (including his handling of the Ultra Move). In fact, his four-DVD set was originally released as 11 VHS videos (!) and so is a real bargain. And again, if you're serious about magic, it is something you should have.

I'm super-excited, out of my head, about Harry's new book, "Jaw Droppers!."

Harry Lorayne is truly one of the all-time greats of magic.

Harry, these are not "kind words." They are the TRUTH.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2471 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
I don't quite understand why so called magicians feel it is alright to get on a thread and constantly belittle some of the greatest magicians ever. While I believe the Magic Café to be a source of good magic ideas and opinions, you should have enough respect for not only pioneers of our Art but for the living legends. This is not my opinion but fact. You may not like Harry, but you still have no right to bash him. You guys must have extremely low self esteem to resort to this kind hatred.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
eric_e
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of eric_e
Ray, I'm betting you could learn the Ultra Move. It's just not something you learn fast, and it took me forever to really get it down. But by now, since I've been doing it since Afterthoughts first came out, which was in 1975, it's very easy.

And hopefully the third time will be a charm on this, since I keep goofing it slightly, the title of Harry's new book is JAW DROPPERS!
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3613 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2015, pegasus wrote:
I wouldn't buy anything from you Harry, truth be told.

That says it all about your knowledge of magic and ignorance truly laughable truth has been seen and told
MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2015, pegasus wrote:
Harry, I have a hard time trying to understand and digest written instruction, especially when there are sleights involved. "Left pinky here, right index finger under 4th card from the bottom" etc. can you confirm whether your book contains such text? Written instruction is just not everybody's cup of tea, and I for one learn far better when being visually shown, ie a DVD. I realise you have photos too but that sometimes compounds the issue for me.

Would this be a concern to potential buyers such as myself?

I am 22 years old, and English is not even my first language (I am Chinese if you wanna know)
but I have no issue understand and digest any of Harry's written instruction
if I can do it, you certainly can.
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
You gotta cut the guy some slack on the DVD front. He's pushing a hundred - no one expects him to be able to perform anymore. The real value will come with all the stories of how magic was fifty years ago; who was doing what and where. This is living history here, an attempt not to take precious information to the grave. Someone will do a DVD in a few years after he's gone.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Harry Lorayne's JAW DROPPERS! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (47 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL