The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Swadling Morgan Pro-Coin Line -vs- Shell Shock! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
I want a Soft, Expanded Morgan Shell set...on a budget!! I want a worker set, not a trophy behind glass!
I've read all the legends Lassen vs SchoolCraft...Titans! I love looking at their websites and they are worth every penny!
But I can't drop $400-500 in my income!
So, I have settled that the balance of Price, Value and Quality...
Mark Mason & Bob Swadling seem to have the Bang for your Buck.

So...Has anyone compared both Morgan shell sets:
JB PRO set is $295
http://www.jbtvusa.com/j-b-pro-coin-line......-606.php
***** VS *****
Shell Shock "deep dish" shell & DVD $350
http://www.jbtvusa.com/latest-j-b-produc......-811.php
I have heard that some say the edge looks too smooth and different from regular coins.
Is the more $55 worth a Snappy routine and more deep shell coverage?
Does the regular shell looks better? Distortion face less or more?
Is it worth it for the difference? Does anyone know?

I just need the best, stronger, lasting set for my hard earned money!
Most of you've been here: I'm not "made of money"; and I save lots of cash for a buy...then discover it is CRAP!

Thanks!
Steph
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Steph, I've never used the Morgan pro line but I do own a Morgan deep dish. So unfortunately I'm not qualified to do a direct comparison for you.
But I will say that my deep dish is a great shell and I love it. I own other shells from Lassen and Schoolcraft and it is in the same league as those IMO.
Even though the extra coverage is very tiny in reality, it can make a difference in certain routines.
But any decent shell is deceptive and does the job, and the extra depth isn't really a factor in most cases.
However, I would pay an extra $55 for it. But really the only way to tell for sure is to have them both right in front of you.
And even then, the overall appearance of the particular coins (softness, patina, dates, distortion, etc.) may be more of a factor in your decision than the extra shell depth.

Another thing to keep in mind is that not all shells are exactly the same depth, there are variances. So if you were to get a deep dish on the shallower side (remember, we're talking in thousandths of an inch) then there may not be a significant difference from a deeper pro line shell.
As far as distortion on the deep dish, I rank it right up there with the other big coin gaffers, it's essentially imperceptible on mine.
Moondragon1
View Profile
Regular user
Washington state
153 Posts

Profile of Moondragon1
Hey Steph! Nice to see ya here again!
I have a soft morgan deep dish from Bob and Mark. The quality is excellent IMO. I do not own any other high end Shell... I take that back.... I do have a schoolcraft Oxf in the mail now.... So I can compare later. But that being said, the Shell is of excellent quality. I have owned a quarter shell from Johnson and the coverage of the deeper dish is quite a bit more.... Say 82% vs. 99.7%.Smile after I added the masking tape( nice tip by the way! ;-) to silence it, the coverage is still like99.2%. Still imperceptible.
The shell is still very strong. I have actually dropped it quite a few times and only had to fix it on a couple of occasions. So here's the deal.. My soft morgan is a 1901 and the coins that came with me it are all 1800's...:-( and have quite a lot of patina. The shell on the other hand had virtually none. It just wasn't very shiny. The great thing is, they used a newer coin with less ware. I think this gave them more material to work with. Hence more coverage and more durable.
The coin did not match the others in the least, but I did fix the problem! A little 320 grit sand paper 00000 steel wool and some bleach... Followed by a three way nail file and voooala. Presto... ! A beautifully worn and patina'd shell to match the rest. I can send you some photos if you'd like. Before and after. Plus a glance at the coverage.

Happy magic my friend
:-)
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Just to add a "wrinkle"...does anyone know what Lassen sells for soft exp. shell and 4 coins?
Now that I have the $350 saved, I heard that Lassen still sells sets for $400...!
Is it true, and if you had the choice would you go Swadling or Lassen (for this only set)?
Thanks
Steph
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Yes, Lassen sets are $400.00.
One thing to keep in mind is you may have to wait several months for Lassen's.
For that reason alone I'd probably go with Swadling in this case.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Good point! Well, I'm pulling the trigger now and order for the "Shell Shocked" set! Thanks to all for the help!
Steph
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
If you haven't already I'd call or email Mark Mason and send him a pic of a Morgan you like as an example of how you would like yours to look and he can try to match as best as possible. Hopefully he has some sets in stock to choose from.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Already doing exactly that. Thanks! (Great minds...😆)
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

I learned from all your info. Also when ordering I spelled it out crystal clear:
"Soft, but detailed
Matching Color/patina all coins and shell is a MUST.
Prefer matching dates, but not a must.
Appearance overall matching is the most important!
Call me if you need more info or clarification."

BOOM...there went my money! Crossing fingers! HAHA
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Somebody asked me recently if I noticed a big difference between Morgan's and Ike's.
I said definitely, about $200 per gaff. Smile
Moondragon1
View Profile
Regular user
Washington state
153 Posts

Profile of Moondragon1
Hahaha
Funny man
Moondragon1
View Profile
Regular user
Washington state
153 Posts

Profile of Moondragon1
I will get you guys those photos soon if your both still interested. My wife took the phone with the nice camera! Lol
I'll get back to you guys soon.
Blessed day y'all,
Moondragon
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Videoman...HAHA $200 minimum!
It was a tough leap for me. I was going to be happy with be an "IKE" guy, since Lassen Commercial being around.
But when Karl Hein offered a Morgan CSB. I couldn't believe how genuine silver coins practically "stick" to palming, and coins not sliding all over like clads do.

I was hooked! I could've went for Walking Liberty halves, but I love the size of dollars! It just looks more impossible to "hiding" such large coins!
I'm glad and excited!
I visited with Steve Lancaster yesterday at Top Hat Magic in Tulsa, OK (drop by with him when in town). We talked about how as we mature (see how I dodged "getting old") and start to eliminate the "clutter" from years of "flavor of the month" tricks. Classics are time tested, golden.
I'm getting wiser and perfect my foundation effects. I don't want to do tons of mediocre magic! I'd rather know I can KILL only 12 routines; 3 good sets. Mastered like breathing!
Blessings all!
Steph
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Email from Mark this morning:

Hi Stephen
many thanks for the order, we are currently out of Morgan shell shocked sets, for 3 weeks. I can put you on back order or I can give you a full refund. We can not match up the dates, its hard enough just getting 5 coins to match up in actual look and wear without the dates as well.
Let me know Stephen
best wishes,Mark
Moondragon1
View Profile
Regular user
Washington state
153 Posts

Profile of Moondragon1
Awww! Lol dang.... But also, Yay!!!! Only 3 weeks!:-) be patient, this shell is worth in IMO. But then again.... I have never held a Schoolcraft Shell or lassen. My walking liberty Oxf should be here this week!!!!! O:-)
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Yeah, I asked if they have any Pro-Line sets in stock. Mark said he apparently sold out everything at Magic Expo last week.
I took a refund while I weigh my options. If Im waiting, I might just go Lassen. Email me pics of your OXF when in.
Thanks,
Steph
Moondragon1
View Profile
Regular user
Washington state
153 Posts

Profile of Moondragon1
Sure thing Steph
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Johnson Products are the best in my book. They have the Morgan and Morgan Peace Dollar at $86. They also have matching dollars at $40. So for $120 you get the full set and a lifetime guarantee on the shells. I know because I have used the guarantee. No questions asked replacements.

http://www.johnsonmagicproducts.com/shop......s_id=125

You can contact them as well, the lady is very helpful and their customer service is 1st rate. They have a perfect reputation in the magic community.

Just a side note, "Soft Coins" means well worn, to being almost smooth, usually the first to go is the knurled edges. So if you want knurl on your soft coins, usually they have to machine them back on. Doing this can reduce he size of the original coin.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Thanks Bill,
I considered Johnson (I mean, I they feel like family!)
But a whole set is not $120, it is $246 ($86 + $40 x 4) before shipping. If I'm gonna drop big bucks,
I love the character of soft coins. A coin that looks new, with a date 100+ old rings fake to people.
Also, I do not need coin edge milling because silver coins are easy for me palming even when edge is slick. Plus my CSB is Soft Morgan too.

NEWS!!!!...
I was at the big auction looking and someone was selling Shell Shocked with the Morgan Silver set in Soft.
I bought it...WOOHOO!!!...so it will be mine shortly.
Moondragon1
View Profile
Regular user
Washington state
153 Posts

Profile of Moondragon1
Coolio Stephon! Congratulations! How much did you pay? Can I see photos?:-)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Swadling Morgan Pro-Coin Line -vs- Shell Shock! (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL