The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Alternative Medical Treatments » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..18~19~20~21 [Next]
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2016, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2016, R.S. wrote:
Quote:

There is evidence for all sorts of things that are unproven. They're not necessarily true, but there's no reason to withhold belief on something simply because it's unproven.

Well, then if the available evidence is not strong enough to prove something is true, then why believe that it IS true? Why not just say "I don't know"????

Why would "proof" be your standard for belief? I believe that tomorrow's Lotto numbers will not be 3, 6, 17, 20, 31, and 33. That's an unproven belief. Honestly, it's hard for me to believe that any rational person wouldn't share that belief.

First of all, nothing can be proven with 100% absolute certainty – not even that the sun will rise tomorrow, so let’s make that clear. And as I said before, I apportion my beliefs to the evidence. The stronger, more compelling, and more robust the evidence for something, the more likely I am to believe it. So what then would YOUR "standard" for belief be, if not proof /strong evidence of some sort?

Believing that tomorrow’s Lotto numbers will NOT be x, y, and z, is perfectly rational because we know that the odds of getting the correct numbers are incredibly slim. The “proof” in this case (if that’s what you want to call it), is the knowledge that a “290 million to 1 odds against bet” is a very safe bet. But what’s hard for ME to believe is that any rational person would believe in something simply because it hasn’t been disproven. Again, you said, “there's no reason to withhold belief on something simply because it's unproven.” So for the third time now, is there proof that Leprechauns exist?

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
I have thought impossible.

That's a myth, probably created by a bona fide atheist to try to maintain a one-sided "burden of proof."

It's been proven, for instance, that there is no largest prime number.

Of course, the statement itself is a negative ("There is no negative that can be proven,"), so even if we didn't have clear counterexamples (like the largest prime number thing), it would be at best unprovable, and at worst simply wrong (as it is). It's not a law of logic, or anything. It's just a cliche, and a false one at that.

What is a "bona fide atheist"? And what do you mean by a "one-sided burden of proof"?

Ron

The original definition of atheist - one who believes (and isn't afraid to admit to believing) that there is no God.

What do you mean by “original definition”? And where (in ANY definition) does it say one who “isn't afraid to admit to believing”???
All atheists lack belief in gods. But a subset go a step further and make a positive claim that “there are no gods” (“strong” atheists). That’s all there is to it. It’s not complicated at all, but for some reason, some people like to obfuscate the issue in order to deflect attention from their inability to defend their own beliefs.

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2016, TomBoleware wrote:
What is true is true. What then is the difference in believing something to be true, and proving something is true,
if indeed the belief is true. Proof doesn’t make something true; it only changes the belief of those that didn’t
believe it in the beginning.

The way I see it, all things in life don’t come with a guarantee, we must trust our belief. And if proof does come
along (for or against) so be it, but that doesn’t change the fact that it was true (or untrue) the whole time.
What is true is true.

Tom

You are correct – what is true is true. The question then becomes, what is the best method for determining whether or not something is in fact true. So I’ll pose a question I’ve already asked… is “faith” a reliable method for arriving at the truth?

Ron
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Not always the best method but when there is no proof to be found, we have no choice but to turn to our faith.

Tom
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2016, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's a myth, probably created by a bona fide atheist to try to maintain a one-sided "burden of proof."

Of course, the statement itself is a negative ("There is no negative that can be proven,"), so even if we didn't have clear counterexamples (like the largest prime number thing), it would be at best unprovable, and at worst simply wrong (as it is). It's not a law of logic, or anything. It's just a cliche, and a false one at that.

What is a "bona fide atheist"? And what do you mean by a "one-sided burden of proof"?

Ron

The original definition of atheist - one who believes (and isn't afraid to admit to believing) that there is no God.

What do you mean by “original definition”? And where (in ANY definition) does it say one who “isn't afraid to admit to believing”???
All atheists lack belief in gods. But a subset go a step further and make a positive claim that “there are no gods” (“strong” atheists). That’s all there is to it. It’s not complicated at all, but for some reason, some people like to obfuscate the issue in order to deflect attention from their inability to defend their own beliefs.

Ron

The parenthetical was my own personal aside.
You really need me to define the word "original" for you? "All there is to it" is that originally an atheist, by definition, was one who believed that there is no God. It's not complicated at all.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There is evidence for all sorts of things that are unproven. They're not necessarily true, but there's no reason to withhold belief on something simply because it's unproven.

Well, then if the available evidence is not strong enough to prove something is true, then why believe that it IS true? Why not just say "I don't know"????

Why would "proof" be your standard for belief? I believe that tomorrow's Lotto numbers will not be 3, 6, 17, 20, 31, and 33. That's an unproven belief. Honestly, it's hard for me to believe that any rational person wouldn't share that belief.

First of all, nothing can be proven with 100% absolute certainty – not even that the sun will rise tomorrow, so let’s make that clear. And as I said before, I apportion my beliefs to the evidence. The stronger, more compelling, and more robust the evidence for something, the more likely I am to believe it. So what then would YOUR "standard" for belief be, if not proof /strong evidence of some sort?

Believing that tomorrow’s Lotto numbers will NOT be x, y, and z, is perfectly rational because we know that the odds of getting the correct numbers are incredibly slim. The “proof” in this case (if that’s what you want to call it), is the knowledge that a “290 million to 1 odds against bet” is a very safe bet. But what’s hard for ME to believe is that any rational person would believe in something simply because it hasn’t been disproven. Again, you said, “there's no reason to withhold belief on something simply because it's unproven.” So for the third time now, is there proof that Leprechauns exist?

Ron

Lots of things can be proven with 100% certainty, unless you want too just play the "Maybe we're suffering from the same mental delusion" or "Maybe we're just in the matrix and somebody is manipulating out thoughts and there really is no Lotto" games.

I also find it hard to believe that any rational person would believe in something simply because it hasn't been disproven. In fact, offhand, I don't know anyone who does.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Evidence is that which makes a material fact either more, or less, likely to be true. There can be evidence for things that are not true.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have watched many a history channel special with "evidence" of Bigfoot and aliens.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2016, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ron

Ron

The parenthetical was my own personal aside.
You really need me to define the word "original" for you? "All there is to it" is that originally an atheist, by definition, was one who believed that there is no God. It's not complicated at all.

Oh, I see… you just made up your own definition when you threw in your own aside.

Wikipedia has this:
“The term atheism originated from the Greek (atheos), meaning "without god(s)", used as a pejorative term applied to those thought to reject the gods worshiped by the larger society. “

And surely you can find slight variations in dictionaries. But all that aside, the people who make the biggest fuss over the definition are deists and theists. I wonder why? Anyway, as I have said, all atheists lack belief in gods. And some go a step further by making a positive claim that “there are no gods”.

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ron

Lots of things can be proven with 100% certainty, unless you want too just play the "Maybe we're suffering from the same mental delusion" or "Maybe we're just in the matrix and somebody is manipulating out thoughts and there really is no Lotto" games.

I also find it hard to believe that any rational person would believe in something simply because it hasn't been disproven. In fact, offhand, I don't know anyone who does.

But the fact of the matter is that you, me, anybody, CAN be deluded or tricked! And the only thing you can be absolutely 100% certain of is the thoughts that you are thinking. Wouldn’t that be what we mean by 100%? If not, what do YOU mean by 100%?
And you still haven’t told us what your “standard for belief” is. Oh, and for the fourth time now, is there proof that Leprechauns exist?

Ron
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
BTW, you can ask until you're blue in the face, but you're going to have to do your own Leprechaun research.

RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7530 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2016, RNK wrote:
Http://www.near-death.com/science/eviden......ays.html

Many stories as the one above. Yes. How credible are the people making the claims? Don't know. But I do know I, myself, would rather follow and believe in something that is truly loving and all caring. And not in just "existing" then it's over.

For me, God is like the wind- you can feel it (HIM) but you can't see it (Wind & HIM) even though it is there. No other creature can feel or has emotions as strong and deep as humans. We are to complex of a being to be started from water and an explosion.

There are also many stories of alien abductions – does that make them true? And if you don’t know how credible the people are, then why believe them to begin with? Also, don’t forget what the N in NDE stands for. There is really no such thing as an NDE without the N. By definition, once you’re dead, there’s no coming back. It is also commonly known that test pilots experience hypoxia – a condition very similar to what’s reported in NDEs. It happens when the brain is deprived of blood and oxygen. Pilots report tunnel vision, bright lights, feelings of bliss, etc. So it’s likely that this is the sort of phenomenon that manifests in “NDEs”, when sick/injured/traumatized patients go unconscious. When they are revived, they may recall those things, and then innocently (or not so innocently) embellish the details to align with a religious/spiritual narrative. At any rate, NDEs come down to personal anecdotes, and as such, we should treat them as any other extraordinary personal anecdote – with caution and a healthy dose of skepticism.

What do you mean when you say you can “feel God”? How do you know that whatever you’re feeling is something external to you and not just your own emotions welling up inside you? How do you know that “no other creature can feel or has emotions as strong and deep as humans”? Elephants, for one, show great concern and appear to mourn extensively over the loss of one of their group.
Where does it say that we were “started from water and an explosion”?

Ron

Not so. There are documented cases where the persons heart WAS not beating anymore for a period of time. No signs of life and then their heart started again and in this time the NDE occurred.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
I can't speak to ERW (ever-reliable-Wikipedia), but I'm very familiar with the history and the etymology of the term. The original definition of the word "atheist" is what you would call a "strong atheist." I guess back then, atheists weren't generally weak.

I don't know any theists or desists who make any sort of fuss over the definition. I assume that atheists don't because they've effectively changed the definition for rhetorical purposes. Some agnostics do, because in their effort to seize a rhetorical advantage (that of not having to defend their true position), atheists have effectively co-opted agnosticism.

Prefix ‘a’, meaning without, or not. So… “without/not theism”. Lack of. Lack of belief in gods. Anyway, it’s rather non-productive to argue the nuances of the origins of a term. What’s more important is the modern generally accepted meaning of the term. And perhaps more important still, in the case of a hotly debated topic such as theism/atheism, is to seek clarification from your interlocutor on their intended meaning. Then one can discourse over actually held positions, rather than falsely assumed positions. And I think the reason that so many deists/theists make such a big fuss over the definition (and I have encountered plenty who do) is that they want to shift the burden of proof from their own positive claim. And I do agree, in the case of the smaller subset of “strong” atheists, that the strong atheist would also have a burden of proof. And be careful not to conflate the terms atheism and agnosticism as one deals with ‘belief’ and one deals with ‘knowledge’. Many people don’t realize that a believer can also be an agnostic.

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
BTW, you can ask until you're blue in the face, but you're going to have to do your own Leprechaun research.

I didn’t figure I’d get a response to that (very simple) question. But feel free to take your time and reflect on it. I’d seriously welcome any answer you can provide. Thanks.

Ron
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Interesting how aggressive you get with this subject. Not saying it in a bad way mind you. And not saying you are doing something wrong.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7530 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2016, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2016, RNK wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2016, RNK wrote:
Http://www.near-death.com/science/eviden......ays.html

Many stories as the one above. Yes. How credible are the people making the claims? Don't know. But I do know I, myself, would rather follow and believe in something that is truly loving and all caring. And not in just "existing" then it's over.

For me, God is like the wind- you can feel it (HIM) but you can't see it (Wind & HIM) even though it is there. No other creature can feel or has emotions as strong and deep as humans. We are to complex of a being to be started from water and an explosion.

There are also many stories of alien abductions – does that make them true? And if you don’t know how credible the people are, then why believe them to begin with? Also, don’t forget what the N in NDE stands for. There is really no such thing as an NDE without the N. By definition, once you’re dead, there’s no coming back. It is also commonly known that test pilots experience hypoxia – a condition very similar to what’s reported in NDEs. It happens when the brain is deprived of blood and oxygen. Pilots report tunnel vision, bright lights, feelings of bliss, etc. So it’s likely that this is the sort of phenomenon that manifests in “NDEs”, when sick/injured/traumatized patients go unconscious. When they are revived, they may recall those things, and then innocently (or not so innocently) embellish the details to align with a religious/spiritual narrative. At any rate, NDEs come down to personal anecdotes, and as such, we should treat them as any other extraordinary personal anecdote – with caution and a healthy dose of skepticism.

What do you mean when you say you can “feel God”? How do you know that whatever you’re feeling is something external to you and not just your own emotions welling up inside you? How do you know that “no other creature can feel or has emotions as strong and deep as humans”? Elephants, for one, show great concern and appear to mourn extensively over the loss of one of their group.

Ron

Not so. There are documented cases where the persons heart WAS not beating anymore for a period of time. No signs of life and then their heart started again and in this time the NDE occurred.

You mean, no signs of life that we could detect. The human body can be remarkably resilient in some cases. And it’s always much more plausible to ascribe known natural explanations (like hypoxia, or the human tendency to embellish in this case) to a phenomenon than to ascribe unknown supernatural explanations. Anyway, by definition, death is FINAL. That being said, the NDE cases are necessarily anecdotal and prove nothing.

Anyway, do you believe the numerous stories of the people who claim to have been abducted by aliens?

And aren’t you going to respond to this?:

Thanks.

Ron

Well, I will tell you this story. A true story. This happened to my Aunt and I know she would not lie. Her husband (my Uncle)was having health problems and had colon cancer. He went through surgery and had to have a colposcopy bag put on. Well, he was having trouble with his private part working. Let's just say not staying upward. She told no one about this as it was a very private thing for both of them. After a few weeks, my Aunt was feeling broke down and defeated because it was really affecting my Uncle's psyche. She was alone in her room one day and was praying to God. She states that she heard a voice in her ear say "Do not worry, all is better". She immediately went to her room where my Uncle was, and well, lets just say he has never had that problem again! My Aunt, even though this story was very personal to them, felt she had to share it with people.

Another story, a few days after my Dad passed away, my brother and sisters were at my mom's house being together working through the pain/healing process. My mom stated, I don't know what's wrong with the TV, it's not working and your Dad isn't here to fix it! She began to cry. I went into the room where the TV was, knelt down while crying myself, to see if I could see what's wrong. Now I did not touch anything on the TV and as soon as I knelt down the TV came on, the screen was black and in white lettering written across the screen it said "VICTORY IS IN JESUS".

Yes, even though I am a believer I was very freaked out!
Check out Bafflingbob.com
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
So what then would YOUR "standard" for belief be, if not proof /strong evidence of some sort?

I think that one doesn't really "decide" to believe something; one generally recognizes that he or she does, in fact, believe it. To believe something is simply to think that it's more likely than not to be true. If I remove the 7 of clubs from a deck of cards, then thoroughly shuffle them, I would then believe (and no qualms about claiming to believe), that the top card is red. There's no proof that it is, and there's no "strong evidence" that it is, but there's evidence that it's more likely than not to be true.

Quote:
But what’s hard for ME to believe is that any rational person would believe in something simply because it hasn’t been disproven. Again, you said, “there's no reason to withhold belief on something simply because it's unproven.”
Ron

Not putting words in your mouth, but you seem to think that I'm suggesting that anyone would or should believe in something just because it hasn't been disproven. Just to clarify, I'm not.

The 7 of clubs example should illustrate: I'm not saying anyone should believe it's a red card "simply because it hasn't been disproven"; I'm saying that the fact that it hasn't been proven is not a sufficient reason to withhold belief.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I would defiantly believe the top card is not a 7 of clubs.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
He didn't say that he was using a Svengali deck where the seven of clubs was the force card.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
Interesting how aggressive you get with this subject. Not saying it in a bad way mind you. And not saying you are doing something wrong.

It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry”.

And I would like to go through life believing as many true things as possible while rejecting as many false things as possible, wouldn’t you? 

Thanks Danny. Smile

Ron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Alternative Medical Treatments » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..18~19~20~21 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL