The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Shot glass production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wardmagic
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of wardmagic
There are several types of glass productions at end of a routine or end of Egg Bag routine.... (Ex. Sure shot, Vikings shot glass, Dan Tong's ...etc). Which glass production do you like best and why?.. Which has easier handling for you and why?
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
I have used the Berland shot glass production. This of course is where Scott Alexander got his Sure Shot from. It is a very practical approach to this production. It's also less bulky that using a heavy rubber ball.
johnnykmagic
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of johnnykmagic
I love Eugene Burger's "Shot Glass Surprise"
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Billy McComb used a shot glass with an egg bag. --No egg! just a shot glass. Sam Berland put out the "Parisian Bag" about 40 years ago.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
60 years ago Steve Shepherd and Glenn Haywood produced glasses of liquor in their egg bag routines.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
GeorgeKerzon
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of GeorgeKerzon
Bill Abbott has a good one.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2016, Pete Biro wrote:
60 years ago Steve Shepherd and Glenn Haywood produced glasses of liquor in their egg bag routines.

Yes...Haywood did a fine egg bag, and the whiskey production was GOOD1
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2015, wardmagic wrote:
There are several types of glass productions at end of a routine or end of Egg Bag routine.... (Ex. Sure shot, Vikings shot glass, Dan Tong's ...etc). Which glass production do you like best and why?.. Which has easier handling for you and why?

There is no best in my opinion. They all work, and were good I the creators hands.

I don't like any of them, because none has the proper handling for the steal needed to execute the needed steal and load to be flawless.

None except Sam Berland has invented a holder, they all think a way to seal the glass is the magic to this effect, and it is not. It is only a solution to seal a glass, which has nothing to do with producing a glass from a bag or scarf.

It is not about the prop, but the gimmick and methodology used. None seem to work on a perfect solution that will work for all situations.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I agree with Bill, regarding methods of sealing the glass.

Years ago, when I bought a 'no sag' DEVIL HANK from Jack Chanin, and was "playing" with it, I tried a production of a glass of brandy as an opener for the occasional club date in my off season from doing Schools.

It was not the 'end' of any routine, it was the opening quick trick, and, I used it for a number of years. I used a 4 oz. brandy snifter that had beenpart of a gift box of various types of cheese. The snifter had contained a soft cheese. It had a plastic 'friction fit" lid.

I could load the snifter with a shot of brandy then load the snifter into the devil hank. Gathering up the four corners of the "carelessly" shosn hank, I could reach inside flip off the lid, and produce the snifter. The trick "sold" mainly due to the corny pun that I used.

After a dozen or so shows, I 'suddenly' (?) realized that because the snifter only contained a double shot of brandy, if I was careful, I didn't need the lid. I did it that way for years. I put the routine in my lecture, and sold dozens of the devil hanks! (I threw in a snifter which helped sales!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
If anyone begs, pleads, cajoled, or threatens, I might be willing to tell the absolutely corny line. It got a chuckle, and NO ONE ever refused the free drink!
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
I'd like to hear it. And if it's so corny shouldn't you have used whiskey?
Reality is a real killjoy.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well, a huge crowd of >>> ! <<< responded! So, the rest of you guys can ignore this!!!

First! Zach! Although Wisconsin and Upper Michigan folks tend to drink brandy I prefer Scotch!

I used this bit when dove acts were relatively new. It got a nice laugh (not a "knee slapper"!) I came on carrying the hank by one corner. I would say "Moat magicians, begin their show by showing you a handkerchief" (I held up the hank, and then gathered up each corner, so the corners were all held in one hand.) "Then they bring out a little white dove!" (I would pause--two beats--then, reach in to grasp the snifter.) "Well, I might as well tell you up front! I'M NOT THAT GOOD! --ALL I EVER FIND, IS A LITTLE OLD CROW!" (On that awful line, I would bring out the snifter of brandy. It never got a belly laugh, but, a nice chuckle.)

Then, I would approach a gentleman in the front row and offer him the glass. --I NEVER had anyone refuse!!! When he accepted, I would say) : "Actually, it's not old crow, it's old frog! If you drink it, you'll hop twice and croak!" (Invariably, the guy would sniff the drink, smile, and say, "Thanks!"

As I said, it was CORNY!, But, I now had at least one friend in the group!

After a few shows, I remembered a very old gag! I would, (still holding the handkerchief)ask the guy sitting next to the guy with the drink: "Oh! do you drink, sir?" (When #2 guy said, "Yes!" I would hand him two soda straws!, saying, "Well, join your friend!" (THAT got a nice laugh!)

So! Now you know why I never "made" the big time!
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
My current favorite Shot Glass from Egg Bag production is here....based on a Sam Berland concept.....and...it works:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4940

If you haven't tried a shot glass production as an Egg Bag "kicker".....you may want to give this, or something similar, a try.

Heck, now that Dick Oslund has GIVEN us some great lines per has post above......you can gauge the audience reactions by putting a bit more "Show Biz" into your egg bag routine!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Egad! I AM getting old! I forgot to mention that the reason that I used a snifter, and brandy, is that a snifter is never served FULL. So, the brandy won't spill as long as you don't swing the loaded hank like a sling shot!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Shot glass production (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL