The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Magic has it's own Jargon (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22565 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Magic is not different then any other business or industry, the magic community uses Jargon, which means words that someone types has it's own meaning to magicians of like knowledge.

If a person does not understand the words use, it would be best to ask for clarification, and express what is meant by the word or words or phrase being used.

Remember, a fake names and an interest in magic, does not tell a person your knowledge of the subject.

To us, a scarf and a silk are two different things.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Alrighty then.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22565 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It is much easier to suggest using a Foulard, then to say, use a large piece of fabric 36" by 36", to 45" by 45", with a backing to create a double thickness for the cloth to make it more opaque, besides when showing the reverse side it still looks decorative and interesting as well as eye appealing to the audience.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I've always thought that.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Far out! Us hep cats have our own lingo too, big daddy. Can you dig it?

But I prefer to call the technical terms I use as a mentalist "words of art." (i.e., words that have a specific meaning within a profession that differ from their generally understood definitions).
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5806 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Words a fart???
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20374 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ummm is this a scolding of someone who called a scarf a silk?

If so I hope they learned the lesson. That sort of thing can not be tolerated.

I am glad someone is in charge of this department. I feel better now. I mean what would we look like using words all like other people and stuff?

Keep up the good fight.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
It is much easier to suggest using a Foulard, then to say, use a large piece of fabric 36" by 36", to 45" by 45", with a backing to create a double thickness for the cloth to make it more opaque, besides when showing the reverse side it still looks decorative and interesting as well as eye appealing to the audience.

Bill, this is your greatest post EVER... Smile
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I, for one, am glad someone brought this to my attention.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4912 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2015, S2000magician wrote:

You contributed to the thread, but said nothing about the title of it?
Slippin', Bill, slippin'.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5345 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Try sitting in a room with a group of website developers talking shop. You'd swear they're making the **** up as they go along.

Bill, wouldn't you agree a lot of the terms we use to describe moves, props, and gimmicks were simply begun as legitimate descriptions for what the objects are or do? Names like Pull, Shell, Trap, Sleeving, Lapping, Hold-out, Thumb Tip, Ditch, Palm, etc. are all pretty straight forward, and I bet coined over time while magicians sessioned (is that just a magic term? Because Urban Dictionary describes it as "getting hammered with a large group of friends" for whatever that's worth) and the move, prop, and gimmick names slowly entered into the magi-lexicon.

Of course, you'll have exceptions like the Topit (or Toppit). Now I believe that gizmo was brought to light by Patrick Page, and is pretty old (Poacher's Pouch perhaps from the 1800's?), but "Topit?" I can only imagine it was a guy at his magic club trying to impress his friends and blew them away with this utility device. They all asked, "How'd ya do that?" And he said, "I dunno, but go 'head and topit!"
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2015, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2015, S2000magician wrote:

You contributed to the thread, but said nothing about the title of it?
Slippin', Bill, slippin'.

I thought that the title was . . . um . . . charming.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1576 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Brilliant!
Absolute genius!
Ihor
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2015, Wizard of Oz wrote:

Of course, you'll have exceptions like the Topit (or Toppit). WTF? Now I believe that gizmo was brought to light by Patrick Page, and is pretty old (Poacher's Pouch perhaps from the 1800's?), but "Topit?" I can only imagine it was a guy at his magic club trying to impress his friends and blew them away with this utility device. They all asked, "How'd ya do that?" And he said, "I dunno, but go 'head and topit!"

Topit is an acronym that stands for: Throwing Objects Past Idiot's Tummy. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22565 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You guys kill me, and prove my point, you think I said was talking about Jogging.

This post was actually, because I learned the word Jargon in college, and like the idea of having our own language.

Then on the Penn & Teller Fool Us show, Penn delivers his comments in a very unique way, making up related words, like his turtle shell explanation recently. I enjoy that part of the show the most, even more then the magic contestants.

I continually receive PM's from people asking me to tell them what this is and what that is, or even what did I mean. Not everyone is as knowledgeable as you guys. Recently their has been member joining, and I thought I would post that it is okay to if they don't understand what someone is saying with certain words.

I can tell that most of you did not understand my post at all, and need to refer to a dictionary for the meaning as Jargon is not a word in magic.

Danny Doyle, no it not a scolding, it is for those new kids on the block.

Why not ask your mommy what momme's weight means.

Thanks all for asking when you don't understand something in a post.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22565 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Wizard of Oz, being Louis Davenport was the 1st to bring the Topit to market, I would imagine he named it, being one of the wealthiest people in London, England, I guess he can call a trick anything he desires. He owned a cave dungeon.

I sure he would have had better sales if he called it a poachers bag, every poacher would want the latest new improved model for their poaching. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20374 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
You guys kill me, and prove my point, you think I said was talking about Jogging.

This post was actually, because I learned the word Jargon in college, and like the idea of having our own language.

Then on the Penn & Teller Fool Us show, Penn delivers his comments in a very unique way, making up related words, like his turtle shell explanation recently. I enjoy that part of the show the most, even more then the magic contestants.

I continually receive PM's from people asking me to tell them what this is and what that is, or even what did I mean. Not everyone is as knowledgeable as you guys. Recently their has been member joining, and I thought I would post that it is okay to if they don't understand what someone is saying with certain words.

I can tell that most of you did not understand my post at all, and need to refer to a dictionary for the meaning as Jargon is not a word in magic.

Danny Doyle, no it not a scolding, it is for those new kids on the block.

Why not ask your mommy what momme's weight means.

Thanks all for asking when you don't understand something in a post.

I for one new what the word meant, I just was curious as to why you think this is some sort of news flash is all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22565 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Danny Doyle, as he Café Motto says, "Magicians helping Magicians", just trying to help those that were unaware that their is Jargon in our industry.

The word "Illusion" is thrown around a lot, on here by new guys. When they enter this portal, they do not know that an Illusion on here means huge trick, usually box tricks, but it uses people as assistant in most cases. So the Café had to include the word Grand to differentiate the meaning of the word.

Out in the real world, they can call the Penny and Dime trick an illusion and it is perfectly okay, but on the Café, it is not considered an illusion, I is a close-up trick or effect. So someone reading their question is confused by their post.

Not all my posts are news flashes, as I don't believe any of them are, I am just trying to help those not in the know.

My posts are just thoughts I start thinking about sometimes and think it would help someone, so I post them. They tell me that the Café now has endless room on the hard drives now.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1576 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:

Ihor
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Magic has it's own Jargon (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL