The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Martian (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5832 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
My answer seems to run 180 of most here.

As a state you must put forth a rescue plan. You must be willing to go get those left behind. Without that you appear soulless.

As the Martian, I would decline the rescue. I would guess there are things possible to be learned by someone who has no exit plan, which simply couldn't be otherwise.

The thought of a rescue unifying the nation and possibly the world is intriguing. Unfortunately, I fear we are too far gone for that. Going forward every possible occurance will be raped for political gamesmanship. The only possible exception to that is complete violent planetary extinction. That might bring people together and set their differences aside for the betterment of all.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2015, Tom Cutts wrote:
The thought of a rescue unifying the nation and possibly the world is intriguing. Unfortunately, I fear we are too far gone for that. Going forward every possible occurance will be raped for political gamesmanship. The only possible exception to that is complete violent planetary extinction. That might bring people together and set their differences aside for the betterment of all.

So the human race is doomed unless we suffer some natural cataclysm?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5832 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Doomed to infighting which keeps us from the heights we might have achieved... YUP!

Reminder that is just an opinion.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
Doomed to infighting which keeps us from the heights we might have achieved... YUP!

Just curious, but why are we doomed to keep fighting? Human nature?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2015, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Not looking for a precedent, just simply what you would do in that situation. Smile

As a country I would mount a rescue mission, because not to do so would be unthinkable.

As an astronaut asked to return to Mars to participate in a dodgy rescue mission, I would say yes.

As an astronaut trapped on Mars and doomed to die, I would tell them not to bother.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Probably human nature to keep invoking human nature:

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5832 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2015, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:

Just curious, but why are we doomed to keep fighting? Human nature?

One of the great questions of our current society... But not in this topic.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I blame it all on the internet. It was so much easier to control the masses without it.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I finished the book and didn't care too much for the end, but I will still stand by my original answers.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1371 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I finished the book and loved the ending. It is indeed baffling to the protagonist (Watney) that so much money, time and effort (internationally) was spent on himself. He makes it very clear in the beginning that the crew was right to abandon him; but then he begins to figure out a survival plan. I wont spoil it further. Since the OP, I'm sure many more of us have read or watched the movie that Matt Damon calls a "love letter to science". ps. I've heard that the story began as a blog! Lynn
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2015, TonyB2009 wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2015, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Not looking for a precedent, just simply what you would do in that situation. Smile

As a country I would mount a rescue mission, because not to do so would be unthinkable.

As an astronaut asked to return to Mars to participate in a dodgy rescue mission, I would say yes.

As an astronaut trapped on Mars and doomed to die, I would tell them not to bother.

"Shut up Spock, we're trying to rescue you!"
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Martian (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL