The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Irish magician on mtv (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

giochi
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of giochi
A recent e-mail from Kenton:

Hi Friends,

Kenton here. Just wanted to add a few notes to the latest updates.

I am very happy to say that my work with Irish magician Keith Barry will be seen here in the States.

I was the main consultant on Keith's shows in Ireland, which have been smashing successes. Soon, around Spring Break time, you may see Keith on MTV doing some pretty wild stuff. I have been working with Dan Harlan and Keith Lack on this, and we'll see what MTV allows after the Janet incident. Smile

The great thing is our star Keith Barry. He's one of the rare ones that not only has a personality, he also has great creative ideas of his own. So, keep an eye out for him soon! A fine mix of mentalism and magic - even if you tink that cannot be done.

Please don't bombard me with the times and dates on Keith's show... Check MTV - they'll know what I do not. Look for it in March.
-----------------------------------------------

Kieth is proud to have only been doing magic for a few years, and learned it through the internet. He doesn't hesitate to state that.

http://www.science.ie/scopetv/content/co......n_id=737

I think that this attitude gives a bad name to magic. It takes magic from a level that's unattainable, impossible, and amazing, and turns it into something anyone can do- neat tricks, or "I can learn that one from the internet tonight after the show."

The message he's pretty much saying to the MTV audience is, "I have a show now and I can do these impossible things; the internet is where I started. After the show type in 'magic' in the search engine... ask your mom for some money then learn everything I know."

Then... BAM!! Everyone's a magician!

Or everyone's friend is a magician and suddenly magic isn't mysterious. I respect Blaine for saying "I've been doing magic since I was 4." It takes his magic and makes it unattainable and much more impressive. The public thinks in order to be that good you have to devote your entire life to magic. That's A GOOD THING!!

If you're doing magic and people look at you as someone who has been doing it for a very long time, it adds to your credibility and creates deep astonishment in the eyes of the spectator. If you're doing magic and you're looked at as someone who has just started and can do this stuff, they look at it as something they can do if they wanted. They just have to take the time to buy the trick. Or they saw their little brother's friend do that one.

I frown upon Pen and Teller for letting jealous ego get in the way, and telling everyone they can be like Blaine if they get $10 and go to a magic store. It's not only making the "Blaine tricks" look easy.. but it's making magic in general look easy. If you do a difficult card routine, and someone's little brother bites a quarter, and spits it back together or makes a bill float.... guess who's better in the eyes of the spectator???

In MO magic should be kept as far away from being possible, as possible. I wish more people would try to make magic look good rather then Blaine look bad. Sorry, I don't want this to be another Blaine thread.

I have the utmost respect for Kenton, Dan Harlan, Keith Lack and Keith Barry, but I wish his image had been a little more unattainable, for magic's sake. I would like to know other people's opinion on showing incredible magic, then saying it only takes a couple years and the internet to do magic and then get a show on mtv.

Peace
T
View Profile
New user
philly
8 Posts

Profile of T
Interesting post giochi. Thanks for the link. I personally have never heard of this guy, but from the article he seems rather bland. His advertisement for the internet as a great source of magic is true, but at the same time very one sided. How can the internet teach performance style, audience management, or those special nuances that elevate magicians into artists?

Hopefully this guy's 15 minutes of fame flys by. His "Magic is so easy anyone can do it if they have the money" attitude is not good publicity for those like myself, who have dedicated my life to this art.
After doing some research on this "druid master".(HAH!)

I found this link:
http://www.rte.ie/tv/keithbarry/topten.html
seems like he went to Elussionist.com and ordered everything that had Banacheks name on it.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-02-24 19:52, giochi wrote:
A recent e-mail from Kenton:

Hi Friends,

Kenton here. Just wanted to add a few notes to the latest updates.

I am very happy to say that my work with Irish magician Keith Barry will be seen here in the States.

This is a little "off topic" but it does deal with magic and MTV. (Or VH1 at least.)

Pop-Up videos ran a video by Juice Newton called "Queen of Hearts," during the choruses, a pair of hands would do little packet tricks that involved the Queen of Hearts and/or the Joker. Anybody have any idea who this person was?
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Brad Hall
View Profile
New user
Tulsa, Ok
40 Posts

Profile of Brad Hall
Giochi,

I'm probably going against the grain here, but I see no great problem with it.

Magic constantly needs new blood, and if this can help get a new generation interested in magic, then I think that's a good thing.
Of those that see it, most will be impressed (hopefully) and never try it themselves. Those people will probably be more likely to give magic a second look if they see it in the future. We can hope that it moves magic from geek status to wow status.
Some of the viewers will actually buy and try the "tricks," be interested for a month or two, then quit. No harm here. I see it as a latent interest that might actually flourish later. After finding out that magic isn't as easy as it looks, they will have more respect for it. Again, these people will be more interested in magic if they see it in the future.
The last group will try get started in magic and stay in for the long haul. More power to them. We need them.

Cheers,
Brad
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1553 Posts

Profile of Markymark
I watched all of Keith Barry's shows in Ireland and it was all very bland and uninspiring. Most of it is the
"now I do this, and now I do that" type of thing.
It looked like he just shopped off the internet...
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
For those that care, here is the info on the MTV special:

Spring Break's Mesmerized Premieres Saturday, March 20 at 3:30 P.M. Irish-born magician Keith Barry performs
never-seen-before tricks that will blow some Spring Breakers minds.

Nathan Pain
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
I saw this Irish magician a few weeks ago on the Jimmy Kimmel late night talk show. He bombed big time. He did a coin bend in Jimmy Kimmel's hand. Then Kimmel (the host) mentioned that "not only did the quarter bend in my hand, the back changed from a state back to an eagle backed quarter." Geesh....I could go on.... I guess it was just an off night for him. How about the brain washing he did where guests and the host could not lift a "girl" from the audience? Regis Philbin was a guest on this night and totally exposed the effect because he could tell the girl was doing something she shouldn't have been. I will leave it at that. What a bomb.... didn't even bother to watch the MTV special.
JR
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of JR
I saw Keith Barry at a private function this weekend and I have to say, he redemed himself from his TV talk-show troubles. In a smaller setting he did a superb job and came over as inspired and gifted. Maybe the talk show environment just isn't for him. As to the Internet connection, in a private chat he said he really feels that magic needs a kick to get creative again and that the Internet and Reveal-All shows/sites force magicians to go back the the drawing board and re-invent. Hard to argue with that. In conclusion, he seemed sincere and talented (and no, I don't know him personally).
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
he said he really feels that magic needs a kick to get creative again and that the Internet and Reveal-All shows/sites force magicians to go back the the drawing board and re-invent.

Uh huh. Never heard THAT line before.

Funny, the guys who say that never invent anything new themselves.
JR
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of JR
Point taken and I agree it's a bit of a pat statement. I only mentioned it as the context for Barry's "Internet" reference on the site.
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Yeah, that is a fairly blanket statement.
Dave1216
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Dave1216
On the "Brainwashed" MTV special, Keith did an effect where he had someone close their eyes and lay their hand on the table. Then, whenever Keith moved his arm up or down, the spectator moved his arm up or down. Does anyone know if this is a real effect or just a stooge-trick??
My new DVD ("The magic of David Corsaro") is now available from your favorite dealer. Watch the DVD that Daryl, Jon Allen, Shawn Farquhar, Boris Wild, Marc DeSouza, Asi Wind and Paul Green ALL ENDORSE.

Visit www.timetobeawesome.com to watch the new weekly Video Blog for magicians, "Time to be awesome."
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
It is an effect by Derren Brown called "Lift." There is a lenghty post about this effect in the Inner Tthoughts forum. Get your 50 posts and get over there!

Nathan Pain
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
I just wanted to put in my 2 cents. I saw the special twice and I was very impressed with Kieth's magic. I think we will be seeing more of him in the future here in the states. I think many people get upset when they see a magician on TV do a trick that they know because they feel that they can do the same trick better. I also think some people think that "this guy on TV" must have gotten a lucky break and that's why they are on TV and the viewing magician is not. If you really want to be on TV work hard and figure it out, if you try hard enough eventually you to can perform on TV and have all of the other magicians hate you because they are not on TV themselves.

Just a thought,
Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
sanju
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of sanju
I quit watching his show on mtv about fifteen minutes in. not my cup of tea. I did like what he did with an invisible, half marked with x's, though. does anyone know wose idea that was?
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
Dan Harlan I would imagine.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
953 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
No, the Invisible Deck presentation is not mine. Don't know whether Keith came up with that one or not, but he has used it before. Anyway, after all the legal wrangling the only complete effect of mine to make the show was the opening T&R Signed Mis-Made Dollar.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6287 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
The invisible deck idea is Jay Sankey's
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
...and that was very cool Dan. I have people come into the magic shop every day asking if they can buy it, and I have to say "sorry its not for sale. So I sell them Shrinky Ink...

Fitz
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
953 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
You may want to sell them "Crazy-8" instead -- that's what it's based on. Although I imagine you don't stock that one. Another hidden gem...
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Irish magician on mtv (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.41 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL