The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Red Pill by Chris Ramsay (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Therealmagician
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Therealmagician
Just saw this on pre order: http://murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=54749

Looks good. The ad copy says:

DESCRIPTION

Everything happens in their hands and in their minds!

Two effects straight from Chris Ramsay's personal working repertoire, this is something he's been using to book himself countless corporate/private events. An interactive routine which guarantees a personal connection with your audience.

RED PILL:

Two decks are presented to two spectators. One open pack of blue cards and one sealed deck of red ones. The sealed deck is placed within one of the spectators hands, the other spectator selects a card from the open pack, moments later the selected card has now vanished from the open pack and impossibly appears inside the cellophane of the sealed deck!

SECRET:

Imagine showing a spectator a sealed deck of cards, placing it between their hands and having them think of a playing card. Now imagine that the card they just thought of is now impossibly trapped and sealed inside the cellophane which has never left their hands! The best part is, everything is fully examinable and they can decide to tear it open to find out how it was done, or keep it sealed as an impossible souvenir!
Full length performances and instruction
Bonus (visual) handling
Gimmick included (some assembly required)
Bonus: cold read Script
Follow me down the rabbit hole...

I'd love to know how practical it is in the real world and if it uses a gimmick per performance? Hopefully some reviews come in soon.
ChrisRamsay
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of ChrisRamsay
Thanks for putting this up!

So, I've been using this effect to book gigs for the past 4 years. It's my go-to effect when wanting to leave someone with something special. There are multiple ways to present the effect. Secret is a more intimate effect leaving the spectator with the choice to open or to keep it sealed. Red Pill is the streamlined version, meant for walk around (strolling magic). You will be required to use up one deck per performance so I tend to make them count, usually just bringing one to every gig is the way to go. Kind of like Card to ceiling, not something you would do 20 times a night, at least I wouldn't.

Please let me know if you have any questions, will be happy to answer anything aside from direct methods.

Cheers!
Sashac
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Sashac
Chris and I already spoke about this but it'd be interesting (in my opinion) to have the card appear face down underneath the cellophane, very Schrödinger-esque.

I really like Red Pill, it's really streamlined in effect and presentation and is one of the few "original" feeling tricks I've seen in a long long time.
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
This effect looks very simple for a participent to follow which is great & the effect is fantastic.

Never heard of Chris Ramsay but he has got my attension.

Excellent Chris.

Mike Donoghue
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
863 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
What's new here? I mean, what makes this better than equivoque and traditional methods of resealing a deck?

Just to be clear, I'm not saying there's NOT anything new here. I just wanted to give Chris the opportunity to inform us of the advantages of what he's offering.
ChrisRamsay
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of ChrisRamsay
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2015, Joe Roberts wrote:
What's new here? I mean, what makes this better than equivoque and traditional methods of resealing a deck?

Just to be clear, I'm not saying there's NOT anything new here. I just wanted to give Chris the opportunity to inform us of the advantages of what he's offering.

Well, there are two methods here, one of which is an equivoque I've developed. However, you can show the deck to be sealed from both sides before placing it in their hands, which makes the reveal something they never expect!

Cheers,

Chris
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2015, mike donoghue wrote:
This effect looks very simple for a participent to follow which is great & the effect is fantastic.

Never heard of Chris Ramsay but he has got my attension.

Excellent Chris.

Mike Donoghue

He hosts The Shift reviews here in another section of the Café, I believe.
CarlMcCoy
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of CarlMcCoy
Now that looks awesome.
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Looks really good. Showing the deck from both sides is a lovely touch..

Chris Ramsay has a fantastic reputation as a unique thinker. It's well worth checking his instagram and youtube channel

Red Pill should start shipping out from dealers in the US later today/tomorrow.

Merchant of Magic now have this on the site, shipping from the UK: http://www.magicshop.co.uk/product_info.......d=146842

Hope this helps
Dominic
Therealmagician
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Therealmagician
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2015, ChrisRamsay wrote:

Well, there are two methods here, one of which is an equivoque I've developed.

Cheers,

Chris

I'd like to see the equivoque before buying this because a good old fashioned ID might get better reactions because of the freedom of choice it allows. I guess it depends if you want to present it as mentalism or magic.
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
863 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2015, Dominic Reyes wrote:
Showing the deck from both sides is a lovely touch..

Got to be tough to get people to remember they saw both sides of the box without putting unnecessary emphasis on it, which maybe gives away the where the trick is going and puts much more scrutiny on the display/ditch. After I watched the demo I didn't remember him showing both sides until I went back and looked.
ChrisRamsay
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of ChrisRamsay
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2015, Joe Roberts wrote:
Quote:
Showing the deck from both sides is a lovely touch..

Got to be tough to get people to remember they saw both sides of the box without putting unnecessary emphasis on it, which maybe gives away the where the trick is going and puts much more scrutiny on the display/ditch. After I watched the demo I didn't remember him showing both sides until I went back and looked.

I had the same thoughts at first, but after doing this for a while it became clear to me that it didn't matter. It's all about presentation, when you build it up they WILL be amazed. The idea is that they can see it as a puzzle or as a moment of wonder, their choice. If they see it as a puzzle, Chances are that you've given them a reason to.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote[ Red Pill is the streamlined version, meant for walk around (strolling magic). You will be required to use up one deck per performance so I tend to make them count,]

Ok I'm confused. So if performing for walk around where do you hide all of the decks??
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2015, pegasus wrote:
Quote[ Red Pill is the streamlined version, meant for walk around (strolling magic). You will be required to use up one deck per performance so I tend to make them count,]

Ok I'm confused. So if performing for walk around where do you hide all of the decks??

Chris Ramsay: 'usually just bringing one to every gig is the way to go. Kind of like Card to ceiling, not something you would do 20 times a night, at least I wouldn't.'

Or, just have a batch in your close up bag or case. Stash a batch behind the bar...
You can pop back to reload whenever you need.. not really a problem at all when gigging.

Hope this helps
Dominic
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Ah ok. Not for me in that case.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2015, pegasus wrote:

Chris Ramsay: 'usually just bringing one to every gig is the way to go. Kind of like Card to ceiling, not something you would do 20 times a night, at least I wouldn't.'

Or, just have a batch in your close up bag or case. Stash a batch behind the bar...
You can pop back to reload whenever you need.. not really a problem at all when gigging.

Hope this helps
Dominic

When I was working restaurants, I probably did 100 cards on the ceiling a night. Brian Gillis use to do the same thing. I would imagine Ammar did the same thing.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Really? Wouldn't that be kind of anticlimactic with all the cards stick to the ceiling and people seeing you do the same effect from a distance while they were eating? They'd know what was coming which would seem to lessen the awe.
AaronishMagic
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of AaronishMagic
Interesting idea. It does seem like a strong effect. Not sure if it's worth all the work involved for a one shot deal though.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
It's now being offered as a video download as well... so I'm wondering what the "gimmicks" are?
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2015, Slackerking wrote:
Really? Wouldn't that be kind of anticlimactic with all the cards stick to the ceiling and people seeing you do the same effect from a distance while they were eating? They'd know what was coming which would seem to lessen the awe.

I suppose depending on one's entertaining ability whether it would be anticlimactic. This was a staple that everyone loved, especially seeing their name, card and money on the ceiling. Five nights a week for 5 years is a pretty good track record. When I was working the streets, instead of the ceiling, it was a picture window. My point in all of this is to say if is that good, don't short yourself for 1 or 2 performances.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Red Pill by Chris Ramsay (25 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL