The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why Are So Many People Allergic today? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
In my workplace there is ONE Lady who is allergic to Seafood. Now I can't bring anything that has any amount of seafood in it.
Banned from the workplace are items such as Worchester Sauce, Caesar Salad Dressing, Artificial Crab or Seafood Flavored Chips of any kind.

This Lady doesn't even use the downstairs break room, she works and eats upstairs.

When my Nephew had a Birthday Party, Latex Balloons were not allowed or else a couple of Kids could not attend the party. Nuts were also not allowed at the party. Seems that just being in the same room with these items is DANGEROUS.

All my Life this was not a problem. Now it is a problem. What changed?

The next party that I throw, I will be sure to have plenty of Nuts, Fish, Latex Balloon's.

Just wondering what other's think of this "New" Allergy Crises.
-Iven
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I don't know what causes them, but last Christmas I took an Ibuprofen and suffered a massive asthma attack. I have now been told that I cannot take any pain killers or anti-inflammatories any more, making recovery from gym injuries a problem.

I worked with a man who had a severe pollen allergy (as I do). He always told me that the problem would get worse with age, and would need careful management. I didn't take him seriously. Then he died of toxic shock. Now I do take these things seriously.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I've been wondering about all those allergies myself. Never heard of these thing when I grew up and not one of my friends or relatives or school mates ever died or got sick from eating peanuts.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
People don't eat enough dirt as children.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Smile

Four possibilities.

1. We are encountering more allergen-laden stuff than our ancestors. (Plausible as we travel more, live longer, move more frequently and trade goods worldwide.)
2. Our bodies are compromised and our immune systems don't work as well as our ancestors' did. (A popular hypothesis, but it seems less likely than #1 to me.)
3. We have better diagnosis than ever before. (This is indisputably true. Don't know how much of the upswing it accounts for.)
4. We've all gone soft and whine and complain about every sniffle. (According to the internet, this is it!)
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
What most people call allergies are not truly allergies. Most people are refering to the body being concerned when encountering a "something" and setting of an histemic reaction as a "flush system" defence. This flush, watery eyes, runnny nose etc, often causes asthma is those so prone, and can be a real problem. For most people it is an annoyance.

A real allergy, often nuts and bee stings are real allergies, leads to anphalactic shock. This swelling and tightening of the bronchie tubes in the lungs can lead to death. Plain and simple that can kill someone who is sensative to it.

As for why an increase in the annoyance type, I think Magnus made a nice list above. Some might argue that increase in processed food has lowered our immune system. No idea if that is true or not, but it is believable.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/allergy.html

That's it--a fact page???

Not one lousy argument???

Just where the heck do you think you are, young man???
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2015, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/allergy.html

That's it--a fact page???

Not one lousy argument???

Just where the heck do you think you are, young man???

Meet the new, kinder, gentler, nonrecidivist Lobo.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2777 Posts

Profile of lunatik
What are you guys taking about?!?!? Crime is the lowest it's been since the 1700's!!!

Oh wait, that was another thread. Smile
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
566 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2015, irossall wrote:
The next party that I throw, I will be sure to have plenty of Nuts, Fish, Latex Balloon's.

Sounds kinky...

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9051 Posts

Profile of funsway
If you live long enough you will discover something to be allergic to.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
:)

Four possibilities.

1. We are encountering more allergen-laden stuff than our ancestors. (Plausible as we travel more, live longer, move more frequently and trade goods worldwide.)

Except most of the kids I taught never really traveled much and still had lots of allergies.

Quote:
2. Our bodies are compromised and our immune systems don't work as well as our ancestors' did. (A popular hypothesis, but it seems less likely than #1 to me.)

Sounds reasonable.

Quote:
3. We have better diagnosis than ever before. (This is indisputably true. Don't know how much of the upswing it accounts for.)

Perhaps, but this doesn't explain stronger allergic reactions to things like peanuts.

Quote:
4. We've all gone soft and whine and complain about every sniffle. (According to the internet, this is it!)

BINGO!!!!!!

Now, what about the way WE react to these allergies? Is it reasonable to expect the majority of the people to have to bend to a small minority? Or is it best that those with the actual allergies have to make the adjustments?
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1204 Posts

Profile of imgic
Really? People have possibly fatal reactions to peanuts (or other things) are merely soft and whining?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
lumagic
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of lumagic
Environmental pollution may be the reason, but I am not sure
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
One thought is that a contributing factor is actually how advanced our medical care has become- in the olden days, you didn't meet so many people who could tell you they were allergic to peanuts because they died the first time they had an allergic reaction.

I personally think some of it is overprotective parents who clean everything with bleach wipes. Want your kids to have good immune systems? Get a dog, let them eat dirt and boogers, etc.

That said, I read an article a while back about someone who was deathly allergic to lavender. Doesn't sound like a problem, except it's the most popular scent in use, and just the smell could send her into anaphylactic shock. She found it dangerous to even leave the house.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
It's all caused by vaccinations!!!
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2015, imgic wrote:
Really? People have possibly fatal reactions to peanuts (or other things) are merely soft and whining?

Maybe's it's nature's way of weeding out the weak. We have a tendency to keep the weak going, nature don't play that.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
K
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I mean, I seriously hope that was a joke. Everyone has some weakness. For some, that weakness is a lack of empathy in a species whose survival is based on sociability. For others, it's bees.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why Are So Many People Allergic today? (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL