The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is it just me? Am I missing something? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2884 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
We've had Comcast internet, phone, and TV for several years, and I've had to replace their modem several times when it crashed. So Monday I took the latest one to the local store and exchanged it, then came home, plugged it in, and called the number to activate it.

Long story short, an hour later, after "working" with their phone tech, it still didn't work. We just weren't getting anywhere. Finally I asked them to schedule a service appointment at the house.

That afternoon, tired of all my previous and ludicrous adventures with Comcast, I called AT&T to start a new service. Last night, I received a voice mail from Comcast reminding me about the service appointment, which I had forgotten about. So I called the number they left, to cancel the appointment, and was treated to several versions of "Did you know you can find the status of your service call on our web site?" and "Did you know you can find out about area outages on our web site?"

Ok, and here's where I don't know if I'm just too old and grouchy, but it seems logical that if I'm calling about a service appointment, then there's something wrong with my service, i.e., it doesn't work. So how am I supposed to get on line to find out? Are they saying that I need to go to someone else's house, possibly miles away, to find out about a service interruption? Or do they "really mean to say" that I can use my smart phone to get on line?

Again, maybe it's me, but this sounds like a cross between Andy Rooney and Dilbert.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
You get it.

Businesses are also outsourcing their computer support departments. So if you are having computer problems - like if it won't boot up - you just have to go online and fill out a support ticket. And then wait for the outsourced support function to email you back.

The idea is to so frustrate the user that he just goes away.

I am wondering how long it will take for some genius to determine just how much is being lost in productivy losses by requiring non-IT folks to perform the IT services necessary but not available from outsourced support functions.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Some genius has probably already figured out that it's less than the salary savings.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
It is cheaper to hire a call service than paying skilled technicians to answer calls. The web page is now a digital version of the old troubleshooting script (FAQ's) that is maintained by a web developer; who may or may not be updating the page. It is OK if they provide a peer to peer connection with a person, but most will want you to send a ticket via email and await a few days for a response. Oh, and the first response will only be an acknowledgement that you sent an email.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
"No keyboard is detected. Press any key to continue." is a thing someone had to write.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2015, Salguod Nairb wrote:
. . . and the first response will only be an acknowledgement that you sent an email.

. . . and the second response is to have you turn off your computer and turn it back on again.

It reminds me of vacuum tube TV's - when they went on the fritz, the first response was to whack them on the side. That was much more cathartic than turning a machine off and back on. And the whack (unlike the turn off/turn on) often corrected the problem.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Regarding Comcast and their modems.

I have used Comcast for some time as I've found the speeds are generally better than anything else I can find despite everyone's claims about who or who is faster. BUT, I've had not end of problems with the service. When I first signed up, I would get 20MBPS pretty regular but over time that would go slower and then it seems like it would hang up at times or just quit working. I got tired of turning off and back on the Modem. I also mistakenly thought that I HAD to use Comcasts modem which they charge $10 a month to rent.

Last week I found a Modem at Sams Club which claims to work with a number of services including Comcast and XFinity. (Same thing)

It didn't have a wireless router with it so I had to buy one of those also which I bought on Amazon.

Got them both hooked up yesterday, (after a few hours on the phone with Comcast technicians), and Holy Crap! I'm now getting 60MBPS! I've never gotten speeds like those, (despite that's what I was paying for) and I think it will be well worth the money to avoid the headaches. It wasn't cheap but I'm happy.

ARRIS SURFboard SB6141
ASUS (RT-AC68U) Wireless-AC1900
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5806 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
George, your wifi was down due to a modem failure. Did you have 4G service via cell?
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2884 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Right, that's why I took the modem back, only to find several other people exchanging theirs too. But the new one didn't work either. .. until it just came on by itself several hours after my non-conversation with Comcast. This has happened several times in the past.

My cell phone is on AT&T, 4G.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5806 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
So you had internet access via your phone. Access which could have taken you to the noted web page about your service call.

But I doubt they thought it that far through. Smile
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2884 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Yeah, I know... and some of those service pages on a cell phone are quite the... ummm... adventure to navigate.

In any case, AT&T set us up for service this afternoon. Fewer and smaller pieces of equipment, less cabling, more channels, I'm saving about #30 a month for a year, and they're going to throw in two $100 gift cards. So hopefully we're set. Smile For now.
www.georgefledo.net

Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2015, 0pus wrote:
. . . and the second response is to have you turn off your computer and turn it back on again.

You joke about this, but Monday I was on a plane and we had a delay because the plane's software had a glitch and they had to shut it down and turn it back on again -- which affected the entire plane, every single electronic element. It was eerie; the entire plane went quiet and dark for about a minute. Good thing we weren't airborne at the time, I guess!
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Actually there is a good reason to turn computers (and modems, etc.) off and back on again. Many of the internal electronic components build up charges over time (capacitors and things that can act like capacitors), and shutting them off allows them to discharge. For some components, discharge can be pretty rapid, but others may carry a charge for an appreciable period of time.

Usually I have turned the equipment off and back on - several times - before I call support. They will make me do this again while I am on the phone. Depending on the age of the computer, etc., this can take a long time while on the phone with support, which is really not doing anything while waiting for this to be accomplished. That's what is most annoying.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2884 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
That's interesting. The set-top box (whatever you call it) we got from AT&T yesterday has a little label that says most of the connection problems can be resolved by turning it off and on again. I guess somebody finally figured it out.

On a side note... about ten years ago, when we moved to CA, we bought a house that happened to be in one of those "gated communities." One of the first things I asked was, what happens at the gate if the power goes off? Are we trapped? The answer was fine, but I just couldn't resist asking. Smile
www.georgefledo.net

EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I wish we could sign up for AT&T in my area, but the only services available are Comcast or DSL- and DSL is too slow. So I've got cable internet only, and it's almost as expensive as a TV/internet/phone package. (But we like our Dish TV, so we don't want to dump that.) Gotta love dealing with local monopolies.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2884 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Okay, would you guys be willing to back me on Kickstarter to get a new phone/internet/TV company going? The first few million would go for an army of lawyers to cut through the red tape and for a battalion of lobbyists in Washington. Then a few more million to make sure we own 51% of the stock before going to foreign venture capitalists. Smile
www.georgefledo.net

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is it just me? Am I missing something? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL