The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Amazebox by Mark Shortland (41 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2253 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
I agree with SaySold.

I plan to use the AmazeBox for another Kennedy effect that is no longer available called Whisper.

No more needing to use books.

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Nikki78
View Profile
Elite user
I impaled Dracula with
493 Posts

Profile of Nikki78
Received it, built it, love it...
I'm thinking about getting a second one either to have a spare unit or to have a decorated version as well.
Don't know yet because it's not the cheapest object but on the other hand I'm not that good in DIY to rebuild it

Cheers
Nikki
I'm no native speaker - please ignore the mistakes Smile
seanksutton
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of seanksutton
I have it as well. It's great.
Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
548 Posts

Profile of Alwow
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2015, saysold1 wrote:

Another thought is this might make a fantastic tool to use with Ken Dyne's superb E1 effect from his penguin lecture.

Shhh... That was the first thing that came to mind for me too.
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4177 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Yup, that can be a good worker for sure.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
This box is really fantastic. It is unassuming, self-working, and opens up loads of super clean effects. This one is a winner for sure. I'm thinking of picking up a second just to have a backup.
Matman
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Matman
I'm thinking this could be used for Bill Abbott's Five Card opener, with the regular sized cards. Opinions?
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
I'm thinking magicians should stay away from this and using cards, coins, money or other things lol so obvious.
There is no holy grail!
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1293 Posts

Profile of Robb
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2015, Alwow wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2015, saysold1 wrote:

Another thought is this might make a fantastic tool to use with Ken Dyne's superb E1 effect from his penguin lecture.

Shhh... That was the first thing that came to mind for me too.

Playing "Devil's advocate"... There are only six words used in E1. Why would you have six slips placed into a large box only to remove them moments later?
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10627 Posts

Profile of saysold1
The box is made for a very small # of slips.

Since its hands free and openable by a spectator and not the performer - the term would be to "isolate" the slips so the spectator does not know which he is choosing.

By your logic - devils advocate mind you - why collect the billets in a folio pad or any other device for that matter? What is the point of any OM box?

For purity why not just have billets collected in someone's hand?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4177 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2015, saysold1 wrote:
The box is made for a very small # of slips.

Since its hands free and openable by a spectator and not the performer - the term would be to "isolate" the slips so the spectator does not know which he is choosing.

By your logic - devils advocate mind you - why collect the billets in a folio pad or any other device for that matter? What is the point of any OM box?

For purity why not just have billets collected in someone's hand?

Way to go ,no different from then picking one out of the box then picking one out of the folio.
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
The box does all the dirty work for you. So easy and can be amazing with the right scripting. Those who have commented above hit a home run.
brainman
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of brainman
Hmmm...sorry to be a bit of a party pooper here...I am not convinced. When a spectator opens the box slowly...it might be a problem..and if he looks into the slit he also could spot some interesting things going on.
I know...it is about spectator management..etc. and yes I constructed it right...but FOR ME it fulfilled not my expectations I had.
I wished for an innocent looking but sturdy box that would have some cool undetectable mechanism for some nice switching.
The mechanism in this box IS amazing...but for me detactable.
Sorry again but I want to give my honest impression on this prob.
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1213 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
I have this, but have not constructed it yet. When I saw the explanation video and watched him open the box from the perspective of a spectator, I too saw what brainman said, and I am not entirely convinced that this is fullproof for other spectators to open the box...at first I was disappointed with this...BUT

1. The box is spectacular still imho. With a large audience of people that didn't know each other (like on a cruise ship), this would be just fine, I think. Even if the spectator did suspect something, with clear audience management by the presenter, it should be fine (though I am not qualified to make this judgment in total; I have a great deal of experience doing public speaking for large crowds, but not in a mentalist's context).

2. My thought was that if I truly did feel uncomfortable in allowing a spectator to open it, I can't for the life of me see why it would be a bad thing for me to show freely empty hands, pick up the box, walk over to a spectator, open the box myself right in front of them, have them look in the box themselves, and have them reach their pretty hands right in the box and snag a billet themselves.

For the price and the innocuousness of this product, I think this is a great buy on my part, as I am collecting tools for a short show I can do for a Chamber of Commerce or Rotary Club etc.
RedDevil's 5th Book of Close-Up Mentalism is here...
Pre-Order "FAUXLOGICAL" at www.reddevilmentalism.com

F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4177 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
I like number 2 RedDevil.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10627 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2015, RedDevil wrote:
I have this, but have not constructed it yet. When I saw the explanation video and watched him open the box from the perspective of a spectator, I too saw what brainman said, and I am not entirely convinced that this is fullproof for other spectators to open the box...at first I was disappointed with this...BUT

1. The box is spectacular still imho. With a large audience of people that didn't know each other (like on a cruise ship), this would be just fine, I think. Even if the spectator did suspect something, with clear audience management by the presenter, it should be fine (though I am not qualified to make this judgment in total; I have a great deal of experience doing public speaking for large crowds, but not in a mentalist's context).

2. My thought was that if I truly did feel uncomfortable in allowing a spectator to open it, I can't for the life of me see why it would be a bad thing for me to show freely empty hands, pick up the box, walk over to a spectator, open the box myself right in front of them, have them look in the box themselves, and have them reach their pretty hands right in the box and snag a billet themselves.

For the price and the innocuousness of this product, I think this is a great buy on my part, as I am collecting tools for a short show I can do for a Chamber of Commerce or Rotary Club etc.

I would agree with everything RedDevil said.

Just watched the video a few minutes ago and I will construct it today. I'm also unsure of I would let a spectator do the opening at least at first - but (with the red taped tab) it looks like it could be done and Mark apparently uses this device often for his cruise ship shows with success. I do agree as he mentions that one needs to manage a bit so that napkins or other items are not used - that might mean better to hand slips and small golf pencils out to 20 people rather than leaving a pile out.

The construction and concept are extremely clever - I think this should work out well.

Lastly I will be curious for those that own this to hear whether most will assemble to remain assembled - or assemble with double stick or whatever to take apart each time and pack flat.

My take in watching the video is that I will probably just make it once and leave assembled - seems a hassle to have to put together each time and I think it would put more stress on the folds and paper over time. It's a nice small box so I think I will just make it and leave it.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10627 Posts

Profile of saysold1
OK I dig this - easy to assemble, well thought out, small and effective.

Is it too gimmicky or origami to be something at a parlor show or cabaret? Nah. I really like it a lot!

Look forward to trying out.

For the 2nd tab inside I added a label with the word "PULL" to make it obvious as to what needs to happen.

The box reminds me of a USA "Priority Mail" type box with all the folds etc.

So far this ranks as one of my 5 best purchases of 2015.

Click here to view attached image.
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2015, saysold1 wrote:
OK I dig this - easy to assemble, well thought out, small and effective.

Is it too gimmicky or origami to be something at a parlor show or cabaret? Nah. I really like it a lot!

Look forward to trying out.

For the 2nd tab inside I added a label with the word "PULL" to make it obvious as to what needs to happen.

The box reminds me of a USA "Priority Mail" type box with all the folds etc.

So far this ranks as one of my 5 best purchases of 2015.

I,too, will leave it assembled. And something I found by accident...after about a week of being assembled it did seem to work better. And, no, I will probably not let my spec do the opening of the box, but they can be watching.
minty
View Profile
Elite user
Rugby, Warwickshire
422 Posts

Profile of minty
Quote:
Lastly I will be curious for those that own this to hear whether most will assemble to remain assembled - or assemble with double stick or whatever to take apart each time and pack flat.

I don't think the assembly makes much difference. I ended up choosing to use glue on mine, and it can still be folded flat if needs be. The only difference is that it ends up being about half an inch longer than if left unglued. However, if you refold one of the side flaps on the packaging, you can still fit it into the envelope for transporting if desired.

Like you though Brett, I think I'll probably just keep it assembled and transport it without folding it flat.
minty
View Profile
Elite user
Rugby, Warwickshire
422 Posts

Profile of minty
Quote:

I'm toying with the idea of attaching the 2nd tab to the far side of the flap, rather than in the middle against the slot. I just feel that this might address brainman and RedDevil's concerns about what a spectator could see. I'm not sure whether this might help focus attention on the far edge of the flap and take attention away from the slot?

Just a thought. (I'm waiting to get my hands on some red electrical tape before I try it out).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Amazebox by Mark Shortland (41 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL