The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Strolling Showdown at The Magic Castle (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
This past Tuesday, I accidentally came upon the Strolling Showdown at the Magic Castle. It was quite a sight to see: a bunch of small tables set up in the Peller Theater and the W.C. Field's bar area, with a handful of judges seated at them, and a magician performing at each one and all at the same time. Anyone have any experiences to share? The energy was off the charts.
VanishingInc
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of VanishingInc
I've never competed but I have watched and it is really great seeing world class magic in a world class location!

-Kyle
We personally curate every product we sell because we put quality and service first.
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Sounds like magical speed dating! Smile
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
The recent Paul F. Tompkins standup special has a great Magic Castle bit.
Sounds like such an awesome crazy space.

JosephKerr
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
420 Posts

Profile of JosephKerr
They do describe it as magic speed dating which is probably a good way to describe strolling magic in general.

The event is very high energy - I believe it was almost 2 dozen performers and the turn out was huge.
Performers of all skill levels summoned their courage and spent the next ninety minutes performing their
best material for an audience of their peers. It's a unique challenge performing for a crowd of magicians
whom may already have seen, or have done, or possibly created the trick that you perform for them and
to top it off they have a judging booklet in front of them and may take notes as you perform. I commend
everyone especially those who are newer to magic and wanted to take the leap of getting flight time any
way possible.

I joined the Academy a few months ago and I competed at this most recent event. I was determined to win that 1st
place pin. So I chose my material carefully, things to display my personality and skill level. The game plan was to
fool the magicians and that the one's whom were not deceived would be impressed with the routining.
I calculated my Magic Moment per Minute. Made sure to close with a call to action reminding them of my name
and to vote for me.

Prior to the start of the event I was familiarizing myself with the table layout and greeting the fellow competitors
when one of the Castle Knights called me over to compliment me on my smile (I've practiced just beaming my smile
in stressful situations - day job meetings, cramped subway cars, etc.) I was getting hyped and confident. I was going
to kill it.

We were advised to keep the performance length to around 4 minutes per table so I dropped the middle from
my set and just did my opening and closing routines.

At the end of the event we waited for the judges scores to be calculated and 3rd, 2nd, and 1st place are announced
and I don't hear my name at all. Ugh! Definitely a disappointing moment but I'm glad to think that it speaks to the level
of talent out here. So congratulations to them and to all of the people who performed. There were no losers that
evening only a roomful of winners enjoying great magic.

When I exited from the Inner Circle there was a DeLorean parked right there so that helped to assuage any
disappointment that I had Smile

Upon reflection I realized that all you can do is your best in the moment and that any disappointment I had was only
from the expectation that I set for myself. I was also reminded of one of the most powerful magic moments that anyone
can experience. The Castle Knight that went out of his way to acknowledge me and give a sincere compliment. That's
powerful stuff. It can calm someone who's in a stressful situation or it can just be a way to inject a great moment into
someones day which is our goal. He shared a propless miracle that I will remember for a long time.

I encourage anyone thinking about competing or attending the next event to mark it in your calendars, it's a great experience.
But don't set any expectations...Cause I'm going to win next time Smile
"Challenge Your Reality"
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
That's an awesome story! Takes some nerves of steel to take something like that on, so I applaud you immensely!
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I entered once, enjoyed it, and although I didn't win, David Regal saw me perform and was impressed enough to write a Genii cover story on me.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I've competed there.

It was quite fun.
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
Anyone know how often they put this on?
AndyMo805
View Profile
New user
San Luis Obispo, CA
43 Posts

Profile of AndyMo805
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2019, MichaelJae wrote:
Anyone know how often they put this on?

They put it on 2 - 3x per year. I missed the last one, offsite at a nearby Hotel. Heard it was great. But I competed in the two before that. I just auditioned and became a member last January, I gave it my best, and would have been happy with a place... but my real goal was to get to know some members. Mission accomplished. The best part was after the showdown, walking around the Castle and having someone stop me with a question about an effect... or a compliment on a routine. If you are a member... I highly recommend it!
aheller5
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of aheller5
I am thinking about taking my 10 and 14 years olds to cali and wanted to go to magic castle. how do I get in and what are requirements?

TY all
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
I believe you will have to find an active member and have them get you tix. You can also call the Castle direct to find out protocal. 👍
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
The Strolling showdown is SO MUCH FUN! If you are an AMA magician member I highly recommend you come check it out! You can either compete or judge it is up to you!
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Been to a few of these now, always a good night.
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
How long are you at a table performing?
AndyMo805
View Profile
New user
San Luis Obispo, CA
43 Posts

Profile of AndyMo805
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2019, MichaelJae wrote:
How long are you at a table performing?

Depends on how many tables there are. You don't want to miss one. Last time we had 1 1/2 hours... and 27 tables. Usually 3 min max will get you through all.
AndyMo805
View Profile
New user
San Luis Obispo, CA
43 Posts

Profile of AndyMo805
For those of you chiming in here... the Next Strolling showdown is Tuesday March 31st.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Strolling Showdown at The Magic Castle (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL