The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » RETIRE!!!!! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17669 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'm pretty sure I have a "Step in the Right Direction".......

RETIRE!!!!!!!

I look around and I see many many of my friends, over 62, yet still working. Many have great jobs (Making a lot more than $15 an hour) and they continue to work. WHY?????

If these people (Over 62) all retired they would open up the job market for MILLIONS of youngsters that need employment.

I'm pretty sure this was the initial plan but someone got stingy with the TRILLIONS of dollars in the Social Security pot. They stole it or spread it around to places it was never intended for.

As a result they have lowered the amount of money a retired person can get..... THUS ... Older American CAN'T retire as promised. And the unemployed youth suffer. Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20565 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Could the youth step right into the jobs they these experienced people are doing?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Could the youth step right into the jobs they these experienced people are doing?

That's completely unfair: you're expecting Slim to have thought this through thoroughly.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20565 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My bad. Indeed unfair.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Could the youth step right into the jobs they these experienced people are doing?

That's completely unfair: you're expecting Slim to have thought this through thoroughly.


Yes. It often takes decades to work one's way through the Peter Principle.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Oh, I managed it pretty quickly. Wait, I'm almost 60. Maybe I did take decades and just wasn't noticing.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
It's not the Social Security benefits that have changed so much for the worse--it's pensions. Remember (well you do if you are over 50 or so) when a pension was an accepted unquestioned part of being an employee? It was considered natural that society would want to take care of their elderly, and that people who put in long years working were entitled to retire at a dignified age. It was an integral part of the social contract.

Now, it's mainly the Golden Parachute guys who get their ridiculous pensions in the private sector, and public employees with strong unions who have pensions. But even the latter are under attack by politicians who cry poverty while they give tax breaks to their cronies, and steal pensions from workers, pensions which were supposedly guaranteed by contract.

If I hadn't been a member of a strong union I wouldn't be writing this right now, sitting back on my plush red velvet swivel chair under the crystal chandeliers of the fabled mansion that is Chez Landmark. I'd be flipping burgers. (Okay, arguably the burgers are way more important, but no matter).

Ahh, we'll all be dead anyway soon, those who remember how it used to be.

Have a burger.
Smile
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17669 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I agree about the Unions and pensions. Corruption is rampant.
If someone retires it usually opens up a pretty good job. "SOMEONE" must fill that job. It creates room to employ another person. If 20,000,000 folks that qualify to retire DID.... More and more people would move up the ranks or jump right in according to their abilities. Unemployment would drop and the economy would get better.
Win Win!!!! 20 million new people with JOBS!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Win/win--if those retiring can live a decent life afterwards. Otherwise, not so much.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1204 Posts

Profile of imgic
Darn, here I thought it was a thread about Slim retiring.

Though that probably would mean he'd be spending more time here at the Café...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20565 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2015, Slim King wrote:
I agree about the Unions and pensions. Corruption is rampant.
If someone retires it usually opens up a pretty good job. "SOMEONE" must fill that job. It creates room to employ another person. If 20,000,000 folks that qualify to retire DID.... More and more people would move up the ranks or jump right in according to their abilities. Unemployment would drop and the economy would get better.
Win Win!!!! 20 million new people with JOBS!!!!


So you force retirement? What I'd those who can't afford to live on retirement money?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17669 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2015, landmark wrote:
Win/win--if those retiring can live a decent life afterwards. Otherwise, not so much.

That's the point.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20565 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How about answering my question?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1204 Posts

Profile of imgic
If only people would take a sensible balanced long term investment approach to be able to afford retirement...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17669 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2015, imgic wrote:
If only people would take a sensible balanced long term investment approach to be able to afford retirement...


That's what they were told they were doing ,,,,
http://www.ssa.gov/history/ssn/ssb36.html
Social Security Trust Fund
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I write and perform for a living. If I follow your advice and retire my income would be cut substantially and no one would get my job. Why do you assume that everyone works as an employee? They don't. So maybe you ought to rethink your original proposal that ALL people over 62 should retire.

Why do I keep working?

Because I can.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1204 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2015, Slim King wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2015, imgic wrote:
If only people would take a sensible balanced long term investment approach to be able to afford retirement...


That's what they were told they were doing ,,,,
http://www.ssa.gov/history/ssn/ssb36.html
Social Security Trust Fund


And nowhere in that pamphlet did it say it was a livable wage, that it was to be sole source of retirement income...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2015, imgic wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2015, Slim King wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2015, imgic wrote:
If only people would take a sensible balanced long term investment approach to be able to afford retirement...


That's what they were told they were doing ,,,,
http://www.ssa.gov/history/ssn/ssb36.html
Social Security Trust Fund


And nowhere in that pamphlet did it say it was a livable wage, that it was to be sole source of retirement income...


True, but for most of us it wasn't voluntary either. I believe we had a right to expect much better than we got...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20565 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No doubt it is a messed up situation. That is true.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17669 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
I write and perform for a living. If I follow your advice and retire my income would be cut substantially and no one would get my job. Why do you assume that everyone works as an employee? They don't. So maybe you ought to rethink your original proposal that ALL people over 62 should retire.

Why do I keep working?

Because I can.

Sorry Bob but you are 100% wrong. If a convention decided to hire a mentalist to perform for them they could hire you or SOMEONE ELSE. If a mentalist decides to buy a book they can choose one of yours or one written by SOMEONE ELSE. So YES Bob, someone else would get those gigs.
And PLEASE stop violating the ten commandments of logic by creating a STRAW MAN argument ... I've never said "ALL people over 62 should retire" I did say "IF" they retired ...There are many other reasons to continue working. (Lack of medical for retirees is one)
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » RETIRE!!!!! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL