We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » RETIRE!!!!! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What are those 10 commandments of logic?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2015, Slim King wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
I write and perform for a living. If I follow your advice and retire my income would be cut substantially and no one would get my job. Why do you assume that everyone works as an employee? They don't. So maybe you ought to rethink your original proposal that ALL people over 62 should retire.

Why do I keep working?

Because I can.

Sorry Bob but you are 100% wrong. If a convention decided to hire a mentalist to perform for them they could hire you or SOMEONE ELSE.

Would that someone else be a youngster? If not - and it's quite likely that it wouldn't be - then your argument falls apart. You did, after all, write that:

Quote:
On Oct 11, 2015, Slim King wrote:
If these people (Over 62) all retired they would open up the job market for MILLIONS of youngsters that need employment. (Emphasis added.)
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5518 Posts

Profile of RNK
No social security raises next year. I just can't understand why since our economy is so much better now??????
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17684 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Yes .. My daughter at 20 is the best mentalist I've ever seen perform. I'm sure there are many others waiting for their shot. "Youngsters" can fill up the convention work easily. Some of the new international mentalists are quite young. Many also publish their work.
There are MILLIONS of college kids just graduating that can easily perform many high demanding jobs that older people are hoarding.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Another meaningless contentious thread by you. Older people are HOARDING their own jobs? It's all THEIR fault? Millions of graduating kids can perform high demanding jobs? No they can't and that's a major problem.

Why haven't YOU retired and let a young kid do your job? They can do it better than you, right?
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
There are MILLIONS of college kids just graduating that can easily perform many high demanding jobs that older people are hoarding.

No, there aren't.

I'm not even close to 62, but no youngster could fill any job that I do, and most of what I have done:
  • Teaching upper division university mathematics
  • Teaching financial mathematics and financial modeling
  • Teaching accounting
  • Consulting in risk management
  • Teaching review courses for the CFA exams
  • Designing EFP warheads
  • Analyzing mortgage-backed securities
  • And so on
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Slim is just amazing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
Yes .. My daughter at 20 is the best mentalist I've ever seen perform. I'm sure there are many others waiting for their shot. "Youngsters" can fill up the convention work easily. Some of the new international mentalists are quite young. Many also publish their work.

I'm sure nobody's hoarding mentalist jobs. How can you? They're mostly self-employed!
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17684 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

No, there aren't.

I'm not even close to 62, but no youngster could fill any job that I do, and most of what I have done:
  • Teaching accounting
  • Designing EFP warheads
  • And so on

ROTFLMAO .......
IF YOU CAN ADD, THEN IT IS OBVIOUS THAT WHEN SOMEONE LEAVES THE WORKFORCE THEY MAKE ROOM FOR SOMEONE TO ENTER THE WORKFORCE. Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So forced retirement regardless of if they want to or if they can live the life they want? Slimtopia is an unusual place I date say.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:

IF YOU CAN ADD, THEN IT IS OBVIOUS THAT WHEN SOMEONE LEAVES THE WORKFORCE THEY MAKE ROOM FOR SOMEONE TO ENTER THE WORKFORCE. Smile Smile Smile

You presume a steady-state workforce.

That is very naive.

You also presume that one worker is entirely fungible with another.

That makes you a cotton headed ninnymuggins.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So to be clear in Slimtopia experience counts for NOTHING. A 20 year old performer is just as good as a performer with 30 years experience. A doctor who is fresh out of college is just as good as one with thousands of operations behind him. A singer who is just starting is as good as one with experience.

You must have hit your head several times rolling on the floor lauhing. The concept that experience is of no consequence is ridiculous. Probably breaks at lay l least 4 of your 10 commandments of logic.

Why not just make peole retire at 55?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Actually, Slim's simplistic view presumes that a physician with 30 years experience can be replaced by a 20 year old card magician.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1223 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2015, 0pus wrote:

That makes you a cotton headed ninnymuggins.

Quote of the day!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

No, there aren't.

• Teaching accounting
  • Designing EFP warheads
  • And so on

ROTFLMAO .......
IF YOU CAN ADD, THEN IT IS OBVIOUS THAT WHEN SOMEONE LEAVES THE WORKFORCE THEY MAKE ROOM FOR SOMEONE TO ENTER THE WORKFORCE.

You are so childlike in your naïveté.

First, you said that a youngster can do a job that I vacate.

Sheer stupidity.

Now you say that it is obvious that when someone leaves they make room for someone (else) to enter it.

Sheer stupidity.

And you cannot seem to figure out the meaning of what I wrote.

Sheer . . . well . . . you get the idea.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1376 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Opus had it right in mentioning that there is no steady-state workforce. I retired from the post office; and although a youngster could certainly replace me (as a mail handler, not much expertise required), the labor force went through dramatic changes as mail was abruptly adjusting to the digital age. In addition, the bosses got cheaper and began hiring temps instead of regulars.
BUT... I have to agree with Slim about RETIRE! If you're job is non-professional or just basic labor, if you have some health benefits and such and you're over the minimum age, yes, for the sake of sanity, RETIRE and do something you really like! Lynn
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
A very different proposition than Slim's.

Slim is saying get out of the workforce, you useless lump - you are screwing up the economy.

You are saying that there are more rewarding things to do than menial labor for the MAN.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Actually Dave is playing Poke The Pig To Hear Him Squeal. You can tell by his inflammatory responses and insults. Now that his other thread is gone, he's starting a new one one.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17684 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
So to be clear in Slimtopia experience counts for NOTHING. A 20 year old performer is just as good as a performer with 30 years experience. A doctor who is fresh out of college is just as good as one with thousands of operations behind him. A singer who is just starting is as good as one with experience.

You must have hit your head several times rolling on the floor lauhing. The concept that experience is of no consequence is ridiculous. Probably breaks at lay l least 4 of your 10 commandments of logic.

Why not just make peole retire at 55?

Your STRAW MAN arguments thrill me to no end. It's just painfully obvious that violating the 10 commandments of logic is all you have left Smile Ad Hominem attacks and such is all you have left once confronted with the facts.
ROTFLMAO ...BTW... I'm not the one attacking

The money taken for retirement has been used for other things... The TRUST FUND was raided and that's the first domino that fell ... Even Bob has to work even though he's old enough to retire. He said so here.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
ROTFLMAO .......
IF YOU CAN ADD, THEN IT IS OBVIOUS THAT WHEN SOMEONE LEAVES THE WORKFORCE THEY MAKE ROOM FOR SOMEONE TO ENTER THE WORKFORCE.

So, Slim:
  • Where's the youngster teaching upper division university mathematics at my former university?
  • Where's the youngster who's going to teach accounting when I leave my current university?
  • Where's the youngster consulting in risk management at the clients I've had?
  • Where's the youngster teaching review courses for the CFA exams at my former employer?
  • Where's the youngster designing EFP warheads?
  • Where's the youngster analyzing mortgage-backed securities?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » RETIRE!!!!! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL