The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Baseball fans: your opinion? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Chase Utley's slide that ended up with Ruben Tejada's broken leg: legal or not?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Granted, I'm a Mets fan, but I think:

"Anytime a runner deliberately and maliciously crashes into a fielder he should be ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct"

should apply.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20374 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I don't think it was even a slide. He was NOT going for the base and it was ugly. Lobo has the right application of the rule.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Would the fact that Tejada missed the bag have any bearing on the situation?

For example, could Utley argue that he was, say, trying to avoid a tag by sliding to the right of the bag?

(I'm not saying that I think he was legitimately going for the bag, just playing devil's advocate.)
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I'm personally not convinced Tejada didn't touch the bag. As Pedro Martinez asked after the game if any of the other panel members had ever seen an instance in their careers where a defensive play by a second baseman or a shortstop, with all the momentum of the play, had anyone ever seen a runner safe in that position where the ball beats the runner? To a man, they said never. As I saw the foot at the bag, it could have been a shadow that made it look like Tejada's foot wasn't touching. I'd like to know who makes these umpire review calls in NYC? As Martinez said, "They should be made "accountable" for their decisions.

Utley wasn't even trying to get on the bag, he deliberately slid close. Joe Torre is looking into the possibility of disciplinary action and I'm all for it. It's OK to play hard and to take out the short stop to prevent the double play, but within the baseline. As teammate Mike Cuddyer said, "That wasn't a slide, it was a tackle."
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20374 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am sure he could argue it, but I personally don't find it compelling. It was an obvious attempt (To me mind you.) to make contact out of the base path to break up the double play. The only question would be the word "maliciously" in my opinion.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5806 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
That play has been made many times in the past and never resulted in any discipline. They call it dirty. They call it a grey area. But no discipline I know of has been handed down.

The difference this time seems to be that Tejada's back was to the runner.

It's baseball, Utley will get taken out one way or another.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20374 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea that word "maliciously is tough to get past.

I think the real question is would it even be a question without the injury?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yea that word "maliciously is tough to get past.

I think the real question is would it even be a question without the injury?

Probably not.

And I'd be hard pressed not to call the injury a fluke.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3946 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
It was obvious to me he took out Tejada intentionally. I don't think he intended to cause harm, but when you go after a guy like he did, you have to be responsible for the consequences. The play was a game changer, and MLB will leave it alone since the game was directly affected. But I would suspend Utley for the rest of the series.
First edition and reprint of Rubinstein Coin Magic sold out in RECORD TIME! The good news, though, is that I have reprinted the book once again (they are selling like hotcakes!), so there are enough for everyone!! As such, and for the last time, I again have a limited supply of books that I can sign. All come with a special FREE GIFT until supplies are gone, so first come, first serve! To order, be sure to send me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com . The books are here and ready to ship!
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used on the book.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Completely agree, suspend him for the rest of the season's play, without pay or bonuses for post season play.

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3946 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
He was just suspended for two games.
First edition and reprint of Rubinstein Coin Magic sold out in RECORD TIME! The good news, though, is that I have reprinted the book once again (they are selling like hotcakes!), so there are enough for everyone!! As such, and for the last time, I again have a limited supply of books that I can sign. All come with a special FREE GIFT until supplies are gone, so first come, first serve! To order, be sure to send me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com . The books are here and ready to ship!
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used on the book.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Not good enough.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20374 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
He is appealing the suspension.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2015, Bob1Dog wrote:
Not good enough.

Mets fan?
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
He is appealing the suspension.

According to something I think I heard after the Blue Jays-Rangers game, the appeal must be heard and decided on Monday before the game, something to do with the game being played in NY. Speculation in that post game chat was that the suspension would be reduced to one game. I'd almost like to see Utley face the Mets at Citi Field, just to have to deal with the fans. I'm also thinking the two-day suspension might have taken that into consideration for fear of what Utley might face from the fans and the Mets.

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
Not good enough.

Mets fan?

Smile

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2015, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
Not good enough.

Mets fan?

Smile

Smile
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
"Intention" is always the most difficult thing to interpret. In GENERAL (not always), I think the umpires on the field have the best feel of the game, the players, and what's really happening during a play.

I'm a big fan of umpires, unlike most hardcore baseball fans. Of course, I've umpired, and know how it feels to be there calling strikes and balls and tags and such, so my mileage might vary from other fans who have never been standing behind home plate or first base.

But I'm on a train from Hamburg to Göttingen, and have a poor internet connection and have only watched the play four or five times. During these views, I'm more interested in the "SAFE" call than the slide.

More later. Maybe. Busy week!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'm also a big fan of umpires.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Baseball fans: your opinion? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL