The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Looking for HD Camcorder Suggestions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pelicantrapper
View Profile
Regular user
VA
193 Posts

Profile of pelicantrapper
Hello, I hope all is well. I am very interested in suggestions for affordable HD camcorders. I am looking for one that is also compatible with an external mic. I need it for filming performances on the street as well as in controlled conditions. Preferably below $300.
Also If anyone has one they are no longer using and would like to sell it please pm me.
Thanks so much for the help.

I have looked at Canon Vixia's and Sony HandyCams. There are also cheap HD cameras out there for less than a hundred dollars.
Any advice is appreciated.
eralph357
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of eralph357
I just got a Vixia myself. I haven't had much experience with it yet, obviously. I did a bunch of research and it was best rated under $300 by many sites. There is only one below $1k rated higher consistently, but at $550 was out of my price range.

I'm assuming you are looking for reasonably good quality without the need for 'action' shots (like you'd get with a GoPro and the like). As I toy with the Vixia, I'll let you know what I find out.
pelicantrapper
View Profile
Regular user
VA
193 Posts

Profile of pelicantrapper
Thanks very much. I appreciate it. I have toyed with one. The hfr500 and the quality appeared to be good but I had problems with it when it came to data transfer. Could have just been my computer at the time though.
jhoff
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of jhoff
Hey Pelicantrapper:
There is another cam that fits your specs: Panasonic HDC-SD99 is FullHD, has a mic input and works with SD cards that you can plug into your laptop to copy the files. The quality is good and it is even better in daylight conditions. If you are lucky you can get it used on ebay for about 100GBP (150USD).
~ Jason
Davdo
View Profile
Regular user
New York
157 Posts

Profile of Davdo
The Canon Vixia line is very reliable. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the models in your price range.

~Dave
magicsachin
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
132 Posts

Profile of magicsachin
Canon VIXIA HF R600 Full HD Camcorder is the best option...

-Record up to 1920 x 1080/60p Video
-Canon 3.28MP Full HD CMOS Sensor
-DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor
-AVCHD & MP4 Recording Formats
-57x Advanced Zoom & SuperRange O.I.S.
-Capacitive 3" LCD Touch Panel Display
-SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card Slot
-Intelligent IS with Four Shooting Modes
-Framing Assistance Function
-Fast & Slow Motion Recording
Thank You Smile
Davdo
View Profile
Regular user
New York
157 Posts

Profile of Davdo
I think the Canon VIXIA R700 will suit you. Brand new, it's in your price-range, good optics, good recording formats, and as requested, a mic input. Definitely best bang for your buck.

Good luck.

~~Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Looking for HD Camcorder Suggestions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL