The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stringing along a gig scammer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
So, I recognized the scam right up front from the initial contact via text message. All the tell tell markings, out of state phone number, bad grammar, etc. So, I figure I'll mess with the guy. Well, let me tell you he's good and it took him two days to get to the "I need to pay you and you pay the caterer" over charge pay back bit (If you not familiar with this scam, do a bit of research, it's fascinating).

So, he was good enough that half way through the first day (when he hadn't gotten to the scam part yet) I thought, "Maybe I'm wrong, maybe this is an actual gig." We talk some more and he says he only has $250. Well, now I'm thinking this isn't a scam because their usual MO is to just say, "Money not an issue." So, I tell him I can do a special $250 show.

He comes back with the scam part, "Oh, I need to pay you $2500 and you need to pay the caterer." So, I'm trying to keep him on the hook so I can describe my "special" show!

What should I tell him is in the special show?

Suggestions from magician in Chicago at jam session last night:
1. Offer to saw birthday child in half, charge extra for putting her back together.
2. Offer to bring live tiger that isn't as well trained as full price tiger.

Some thoughts from me:
My apprentice could do some tricks. He's not very good but he does an amazing smash and stab (send links to videos of magicians failing at smash and stab).
Offer some after show adult entertainment from assistant (very tasteful)

I plan on making screen shots of all of this and posting. Let's have some fun!
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
There must be some way you can abuse a "Magic Money Printer" trick for this.

Your punchline could be that you perform the entire "special" show completely invisible.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I like turtles.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I really like the "live tiger that isn't as well trained as full price tiger" bit.

Perhaps add that the tiger used to work with Siegfried & Roy until it and they had a parting of the ways after a rough patch in one show.

In actual fact, THAT tiger died last year but no scammer is likely to know that:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-......ies.html
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2015, balducci wrote:
I really like the "live tiger that isn't as well trained as full price tiger" bit.

Perhaps add that the tiger used to work with Siegfried & Roy until it and they had a parting of the ways after a rough patch in one show.

In actual fact, THAT tiger died last year but no scammer is likely to know that:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-......ies.html

If they actually want a white tiger, though, you'll have to charge them extra for the paint.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20374 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Do you really think this ways much of his time? He just moves along till he finds a sucker. Sounds like it wastes your time more. Still a good time mind you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2884 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
1. "Oh, I didn't know you wanted a caterer. I have a long-standing relationship with a caterer and I only work with him."

2. "I always get paid a week in advance."

3. "My special $250 show is really funny and always gets a great reaction: it's all about scams. Phone scams, internet scams, all kinds of scams. I do magic tricks as demonstrations and people really fall for them. I hope you'll be there."
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Describe to him something The Aristocrats would finish their show with.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Do you really think this ways much of his time? He just moves along till he finds a sucker. Sounds like it wastes your time more. Still a good time mind you.

You're mostly right. When describing my little adventure to a friend he said, "You must have a lot of free time." In fact it was all by text so I would do it when I would be mindlessly surfing facebook (in bathroom, in line at the store, etc.)

But today, I stopped enjoying it. So, I told him, I knew it was a scam. I'll take the screen shots and post them. He, of course, denied it.

Unfortunately because of all the logistics of the hoops I had to pretend to jump through about depositing the money and getting cash etc. I never did get to describe the special show.

Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
554 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
I don’t play with desperate criminals who have some of my personal information...

wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
Meh, what's he going to do? Get on a plane come to Chicago? Show up at my house? Trust me, he wouldn't like the welcome.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stringing along a gig scammer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL