The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » NLDS - What do y'all think? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I would be excited too!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
What we have here, is a former New Yorker, who still roots for the New York Mets, and is very very happy right now.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2015, Cliffg37 wrote:
What we have here, is a former New Yorker, who still roots for the New York Mets . . . .

You can get therapy to correct this, you know.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Relax Danny. I just wondered because I didn't know. Thanks for being so nice though. Jeez.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
You mean as if it were in the dictionary or something? http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/y%27all

Lobo, you and I both know what other "words" are included in this "dictionary"- let's not go there.
Is "y'all" taught in American schools as part of your contractions ? Or is it just picked up along the way?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2015, Cliffg37 wrote:
What we have here, is a former New Yorker, who still roots for the New York Mets . . . .

You can get therapy to correct this, you know.

The therapy to correct being a "former New Yorker, who still roots for the NY Mets" is to become a "New Yorker."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2015, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
You mean as if it were in the dictionary or something? http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/y%27all

Lobo, you and I both know what other "words" are included in this "dictionary"- let's not go there.
Is "y'all" taught in American schools as part of your contractions ? Or is it just picked up along the way?

Y'all was used in the Southern states to indicate second person plural since standard American English (unlike, say, the romance languages) uses the same word for second person singular and second person plural.

When Northerners use it, it is usually only in jest; the use immediately marks someone as from below the Mason-Dixon line.

I find it useful on the Internet, when it is not always clear as to whether one is addressing just the current poster or everyone in a thread.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:

I couldn't tell you. It's a regional thing - not my region.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You thought I was being mean with the "eh" remark but I ask you do you get taught that in school? Is it in a book anywhere that you end every sentence with it?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
Relax Danny. I just wondered because I didn't know. Thanks for being so nice though. Jeez.

Yea sure you were not being rude.

That's what happens when you lead with your mouth.

Danny, lose the aggression.
No. I was not being rude. Lobo answered my question like an adult.
You, as usual, are immature and nasty.
I will answer your question with the same class as Lobo.
No. 'Eh' is not taught in school here.
It is something we pick up in the school yard as kids. Sometimes we write it, even though it isn't a real word. (Although it's in the dictionary).
Is it the same down there for 'y'all'.
Im genuinely curious.
If you can act like a grownup, id a appreciate it.
But if you're going to be adversarial, then please, stay away.
Any of my (adult) American friends shed any light on this?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Oh. And as far as ending every sentence with it, that is a common misconception. In fact, when Americans imitate us by putting eh at the end of a sentence, it sounds foreign and contrived because they almost always misplace it.
You have to be a Canadian to know what I mean. We only use our ehs in certain places.
But that's neither here nor there.
Mets look very strong this year, eh? (Eh would mean "don't they?" in this case)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No aggression. That is you putting that in not me.

It is used quite a bit at the end of many sentences. Maybe you don't notice it as much eh?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:

Any of my (adult) American friends shed any light on this?

I'm from NYC, born and raised, but when I enlisted in the USAF in 1967, I became a traveler, never to return. Thankfully. That said, I'm still a Mets fan. Smile

And THAT said, y'all is not taught in schools as a contraction. It's just something that has evolved from the southern part of the US and has become popular in usage. We're in a global age now and those southern US citizens are moving all over the place and their "y'all" has followed them. I first became aware of its use in USAF Basic Training at Lackland AFB in Texas, where it was as common as "ain't" in the northeast US. I use y'all in my written correspondence all the time because I like it's relaxed style and have no problem with its use by anyone, despite it's not being of the proper Queen's English. But one of the thinkers in here once called me out on using it, insinuating I was a redneck conservative. He was right about the conservative part, but not the redneck. You can take the kid out of the City, but you can't take the City out of the kid.

Hope I've shed further light on this for you brother. Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Thanks, Bob. That's kind of what I thought.
Bill is known as a bit of a stuckler for spelling and grammar so when he used it in the title of this thread I wondered if he was being serious or if there was a hidden meaning or taking a jab or whatever.
Anyway, thanks.
@ Landmark,
I missed your response. Thanks.
Back to baseball!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
If the speaker isn't Southern, the term is, at worst, condescending and, at best, a cloying affectation. That is the reason why Strunk and White's classic, "The Elements of Style" sets out the rule: "Do not affect a chatty style."
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Strunk and White is about writing, not chatting, so a chatting style is inappropriate for writing, but not chatting.

Here, we chat.

Of course, we type our chatting out on a computer screen. But it's chatting, nonetheless.

On the subject of y'all: most languages have a way to say, "you who are more than one who are known to me" when addressing people. English lost that ability hundreds of years ago. But human beings like to distinguish between addressing people in a familiar context and a formal context, so in English we have a tendency to try to put the distinction back. Thus when we address a group of people either informally or who are familiar to us, we want to use a form that says, "you who are more than one", and end up saying "you's" or "yuns" or "y'all" or--what in my travels I have observed to be the most common variant these days--"you guys".

That Bob finds it condescending is interesting, but not definitive. Y'all go back to discussing baseball, y'hear?
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
No- here we write. "Chatting" is talking.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
No. Here, we chat.

Writing is what I do when I want to put something down either on paper or for posterity, neither of which we find on an Internet forum. The definition of "chatting" now includes Internet chatter.

This, Bob, is Internet chatter, or "chatting". Don't be a dinosaur, Bob. Get with it and learn 21st century English, dude.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
If the speaker isn't Southern, the term is, at worst, condescending and, at best, a cloying affectation. That is the reason why Strunk and White's classic, "The Elements of Style" sets out the rule: "Do not affect a chatty style."

Aw jeeze, you just can't help yourself, can you Bob.

As for Strunk & White, maybe they should get with the times.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » NLDS - What do y'all think? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL