The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Street Magic May Be Perilous To Your Health! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
The Café index defines Street Magic as "Performing Random Acts of Magic for Complete Strangers ..."

Oh, really?

I suppose it depends on where you are. I grew up in a tough neighborhood. It's probably enough (at least for folks in the U.S.) to mention that our telephone area code was 911.

Walk up to a stranger and insist on doing a trick? A person who did that could wind up spending a lot of time in emergency rooms.

I wonder if Mr. Blaine is culpable because there seem to be a lot of simpletons who believe that this is actually what he does?

Have any of you actually done this? To complete strangers? One on one?

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
ivan7
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of ivan7
I always thought Street Magic was more like busking or getting a crowd to surround you, like at summer festivals. You can at least make some money doing that.
Caspar
View Profile
Veteran user
Tacoma
316 Posts

Profile of Caspar
I have done it at a bus stop downtown. People have nothing better to do if they don't have a book. I usually perform a Two Card Monte and once did "Burned", AKA Satan's Ashes, (I think). Sometimes you run into people that do not want to see your magic. Other times people are like, what the hey. I usually have more takers than evil glares.

What helps is to observe and pick your targets.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Blaine went to Compton. COMPTON! I think it helped that he had a camera crew with him. I mean, not even South Central L.A. gang members are stupid enough to murder someone in front of a camera crew!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I have done some great impromptu effects on The Strip at 2:30 in the Morning and had a great time.

Many people like magic, even the thugs and various other sorts. I wouldn't do a disappearing cigarette trick though, because many of those cigarettes may not be cigarettes.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
Giday Sid,

I enjoy this impromptu performing with strangers in my locality, and usually carry about 5 effects with me.

It can be prety rough in some places in Australia. It may help that this is a tourist destination and people are a little more relaxed on holiday. However plenty of locals are happy to be involved and it is not unusual for pepole to greet me in the street and ask me to perform for a friend with them.

I also travel in Third World locations in Indonesia on a regular basis and find that the combination of my serious attmepts at "Bahasha Indonesian" (Indonesian language) and my bag of tricks has resulted in breaking down cultural barriers and therefore enhancing my travel experience.

My general rule is to leave the drunks alone when they are intoxicated.

Troppo Bob
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Well, it all depends. "In your face magic" can have unexpected results. I have always gotten on rather well with third world types but I once, with the aid of nothing but some flash paper and a couple of coincidences, got to be an honorary witch doctor of sorts. This was on a relatively uncivilized Caribbean island. Turned out to be a bit scary when the locals didn't want me to leave. I suspect, as has been suggested, that knowing "when" is kind of important.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Necromance
View Profile
New user
Pattingham, UK
53 Posts

Profile of Necromance
I'm from the UK but here I perform to random passers-by. I say to them "Do you think I could show you something I've been working on, please? I think you'll like it" or something along those lines.
WORD OF WARNING: Don't be tempted to do any pickpocketing effects unless that you've specified beforehand. If you're caught taking something...
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic-Arthur C. Clarke
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced-probably NOT Arthur C. Clarke
achiko
View Profile
New user
Georgia
1 Post

Profile of achiko
HI All!!
I know already how to do balduchi levitation,now i"d like to know how to do King Rising levitation.Can you explain it ti me or give some address about it were I ca learn it.Thank you
pcamel
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of pcamel
Magic can be so disarming to people. in my experience the last thing anyone wants to do is attack a magician, there usually to busy asking for more tricks. of course some skill in reading people and picking the right situation is necessary.
Chickens and Beandip
View Profile
New user
Canada
83 Posts

Profile of Chickens and Beandip
Not everyone in compton is in a gang, does drugs or is a murderer.

late.
B)
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
I believe that its the way you present your magic that is gonna get you beat up or accepted by the crowd....or gang for this matter. If you act like your better and smarter than everyone in the audience, of course your going to get your but kicked because they wanna show you that you may be smarter and faster then them, but they are stronger than you. Present your magic like Doc Eason said in his video "I'm just a clever guy who knows a few cool things"
Steven Fox
View Profile
New user
Guatemala
28 Posts

Profile of Steven Fox
I think the key to choosing a fine audience is to read their eyes. I'm walking down the street, or riding on the bus and I ALWAYS have my deck of cards in my hand, practicing moves, and routines. All though I'm concentrated on my practice I can feel when somebody is looking at me, soo I imediatly ask them "do you like magic", if they answer "yes"... well that's my cue.
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
Quote:
On 2004-03-04 05:25, Steven Fox wrote:
I think the key to choosing a fine audience is to read their eyes. I'm walking down the street, or riding on the bus and I ALWAYS have my deck of cards in my hand, practicing moves, and routines. All though I'm concentrated on my practice I can feel when somebody is looking at me, soo I imediatly ask them "do you like magic", if they answer "yes"... well that's my cue.

That is exactly what I do. You can tell when people are watching you and they will often comment about it quietly to people around them. that's usually a sure way to know they would be interested.

James
JesterJ
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of JesterJ
I agree with the posts about reading your potential audience to decide on their approachability. I also think that your stage persona goes a long way. In general, my stage persona is relatively laid back and non-confrontational. Other magicians are more "in your face" and pushy. Does that mean that one style is better than the other for street magic? No, it just means that there are people that might blow off Mr Mellow, but react positively to the energy of Mr IYF. On the other hand, other people might find Mr IYF to be pushy, but be pulled in by a more relaxed approach.

Reading your audience is very important. Think of them as an instrument - if you pay attention, you can move from being someone who does tricks to being a great magician.

Jester
Oz Fan
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Oz Fan
Good thinkin firedice27.
Blake S.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2004-02-26 14:12, Reis O'Brien wrote:
Blaine went to Compton. COMPTON! I think it helped that he had a camera crew with him. I mean, not even South Central L.A. gang members are stupid enough to murder someone in front of a camera crew!

You are right. That camera and camera crew he has with him makes all the difference, I would think. , makes it look like he is "official", filming something for TV, (which he is, of course) and not just any old idiot walking up to someone.

I have always thought that if I had a camera crew, people would generally react much better. Of course, on the other hand, if you run into someone who is camera shy, they just might have the opposite reaction.

What do you all think?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
From what I understand, Blaine grew up in some rough neighborhoods ... he didn't seem to feel uncomfortable in Compton. They key is to be where you are comfortable. Don't go somewhere you don't belong.

JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
True. Because if you are nervous the audience will surely pick up on those vibes, eh?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Yeup. An audience can smell fear a mile away.

JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Street Magic May Be Perilous To Your Health! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL