The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Mnemonica Book and DVD set (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Hi.

Should I read the book or watch the DVDs first?

:)
Yours,

Ivan
Remillard
View Profile
New user
Mississauga, On
84 Posts

Profile of Remillard
I'd read the book first. The DVDs are a great companion but there's so much more in the book. First step is to learn the stack, though. Both sources have Tamariz' tips on this. Smile
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Absolutely read the book first. I would view the DVD as a supplement to the book - a "visual aid" rather than a sole learning source. I think the best part of the DVD is watching how the maestro himself works when he routines these effects together in performance.
dylanxtay
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
157 Posts

Profile of dylanxtay
Definitely the book first.

In my opinion, the book has tons of intricate details which were kind of left out on the video, which might be attributed to the medium of using words than actual action.

Then again, getting the chance to witness Juan rocking his stack in person is no doubt one of the best experiences and lessons you can learn.
Dylan Tay
Magician & Cardist

Welcome to #theBLACKseries, a collection of my Cardistry work.
Only at: http://www.instagram.com/dylanxtaylor
alicauchy
View Profile
Veteran user
Málaga, Spain
310 Posts

Profile of alicauchy
I have to agree with the previous posters: first read the book and, then, enjoy watching how the Maestro puts in practice all his arsenal of subtleties.
So much to do, so little time . . .
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
If you have them both then watch the DVDs. At least the performances anyway so you can take notes and use them as a reference when reading the book. That way you can focus your learning on what immediately appealed to you during the performances. The book is really great but I'd wager there are a lot of things in there you won't be willing to try out. It's a long read if you follow along with cards in hand. Quite a bit of the routines in there require complete and I mean COMPLETE mastery of the stack. Immediate recall under fire and decent estimation skills. The routines he put on the DVDs are the most practical ones out of the book. And yes there are a few VERY impractical routines in that book no matter what anyone may tell you. Just read some of the explanations yourself. Still my favorite book on mem deck magic though.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Tamariz says on the DVDs that the book is a much better way to learn. But he also acknowledges that not everyone is going to do that, and that the DVD's are complementary anyway. Hate to split the baby, but the best approach is to get them both, IMO. The DVDs may turn you onto some things you might have otherwise overlooked, but the book is much better at giving a clear explanation of how to actually do the effects.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Zipposrsa
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Zipposrsa
I do agree with Bobby. The book is the heart and soul of the combo, but the DVD's are such great motivators. Watching Tamariz at any time is a treat, but having him teach you the stack you will use forever makes the work required easy and fun.
8 days a week !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Mnemonica Book and DVD set (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL