The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » O.C.L. by Ben Williams (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
YvanZmn
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of YvanZmn
How good are the angles on this ? From the performance there is someone behind him.... does he see the method or not ?
GAMJoker
View Profile
Loyal user
Bad language skills confirmed in
224 Posts

Profile of GAMJoker
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2015, YvanZmn wrote:
How good are the angles on this ? From the performance there is someone behind him.... does he see the method or not ?

I would say 160-180°. If you know how to cover the secret very good with your hands and don't want to do the visual link you could even let see someone the trick from behind from some angles, but when you want to do the visual link then you can't have anyone behind you / the card.
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
So, this was released on DVD in 2008 and I just found this thread from 2009 where Ben talks about developing the "visual link":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rt=90#16

Are there any other developments to the handling or preparation included in this new download?
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2015, YvanZmn wrote:
Full performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH7UQjcIgmY

Genius ...... distract your spectator by getting them to undertake some ridiculous activity whilst you do the dirty work.

Maybe I wouldn't ask them to make something from card though; I'd be more tempted to ask them to do a bit of Kareoke then ,when they return to their seat, I'd wave the linked cards at them.

Cripes.
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1582 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
Hey! This is perfect for restaurants, but personally I would use this to a special moment, imagine working at a restaurant, and a couple just made 1 year, imagine signing each of them a part of the cards, and linking them together and giving this as a souvenir, what a beautiful moment!

- Olivier
Author of 10S Star Sign Divination - olivier.ceierry@gmail.com for a digital copy.
Robmonster
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of Robmonster
Ray, if only it were possible to change the presentation from the one provided with tricks. Of course, we all know that's against magic law, and if you don't perform a trick exactly how originally shown you are forced to hand in your cards and sponge bunnies
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2015, Ceierry wrote:
Hey! This is perfect for restaurants, but personally I would use this to a special moment, imagine working at a restaurant, and a couple just made 1 year, imagine signing each of them a part of the cards, and linking them together and giving this as a souvenir, what a beautiful moment!

- Olivier

Yep. Top table for weddings. From my own experience, it's also good for wedding exhibitions. The bride and grooms put it into their bag with all the brochures etc, and comment about it when they sit down to go through all the stuff. It's a lovely 'lucky' business card....
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2015, Robmonster wrote:
Ray, if only it were possible to change the presentation from the one provided with tricks. Of course, we all know that's against magic law, and if you don't perform a trick exactly how originally shown you are forced to hand in your cards and sponge bunnies

My point really is that this is the video of the inventor performing this and this load of gubbins is the best they can come up with.

Of course I can put my own slant on it. I suggested that you send your spec off to do a bit of Kareoke whilst you do the dirty work.

Being serious for a mo, if I was doing this I'd do the version I've had for years which looks better in transition but isn't examinable. Giving out pieces of tat as a souvenir isn't my thing.
Robmonster
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of Robmonster
Oh, glad you explained as it just looked like you were being an arse.

The work needed can be done while they are signing one of the rings.
Robmonster
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of Robmonster
Oh, glad you explained as it just looked like you were being an arse.

The work needed can be done while they are signing one of the rings.
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2015, Robmonster wrote:
If only it were possible to change the presentation from the one provided with tricks.

Wise words Robmonster. There are lots of ways to present O.C.L, and Ben doesn't suggest any single presentation. That live clip is how he sometimes presents it to friends having drinks, but he performs O.C.L many different ways, and we should too.

I perform each year with Ben at the Excellence in Policing Awards. He often uses O.C.L there with a very funny 'handcuffs' presentation. Goes down a storm.

If anyone has any questions about O.C.L and wants some one on one time to chat to Ben, just give the shop a call or pop in and Ben will be there Mon-Fri to help you in person.

Hope this helps
Dominic
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Yes, but can the work needed to be done be done while they are signing?
Puzzlemaker
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of Puzzlemaker
Don´t understand it.Sorry. What is the different of the Released Version from Ben williams in 2009 and the "New" O.C.L.????? What is the different?
philipmuller97
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of philipmuller97
Personally, I think this is a great effect. I'm very happy with my purchase. Yes, the preparation of the gimmick takes some time, but you can prepare them in advice. The visuals of this are just insane, you cannot beat that smooth melt-trough. And they can examine it and even keep it... Two signed rings... I think that the positives here just destroy the annoying preparation.
Someone mentioned that there are some effects that do the same thing in an easier way, but they can't keep the rings. I get that there are different performance styles, but personally, I think that after you clearly link two card rings you can't just ditch them and continue. The first thing spectators want is to see, examine, feel the thing that just happened and taking the rings away just destroys the moment... It's like admitting that there is something tricky that you don't want them to see, at least in my view.
Yes, the explanation on the video could be better. There are some things I really wish would be clearer (for example some close up shots would be nice, as someone already mentioned). The worst thing, at least for me, was the fact that you need some elements (especially glues) that you have to buy extra. And while for most people this won't be a problem, in my country it is, 'cause the special glue is not easy to find & buy (and I honestly don't know if the glue can be easily replaced with something else).
Bottom line: I really think that the effect is fantastic... It looks impossible, FEELS impossible and it is practical enough to be used daily... and they will remember you.
Just my 2 cents!
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
How different (or similar) to Sixten Beme's version is this?
Puzzlemaker
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of Puzzlemaker
Tom G: The different is:
1. With Sixten Beme´s Version( I prefer this version) you make the Gimmicked Card and Hand t out as an impossible souvenir without big misdirection.
The Card normaly coulcn´t be signed( but with a little Practice you could sign the Frame on the bigger frame by the spectator.
You must go into your pocket to end completely clean( I us a lighter to heat the frames9. I always like and perfom Sixten bemes Versions. With the Complete Card Link from the 80`s from Sixten Beme, you Link 2 Different Cards togerther.

1. For OCL from Ben Williams, I like the Idea, but I hate fumbling with my big fingers. Also there is a small chance that the spectator could find the secret. The Frames could be signed.
I have the "Old" and the New version of OCL. In the New Version(better Quality) you learn an extra Handling for a melt thru frame. Realy Visual and worth the money!

Sorry for my bad englisch.
rjs
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of rjs
Is it linked in any way to Van Dokkum's Magic Square trick?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chRVe5REfpQ
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The trailer dose not show me a very open and convincing handling. The thumb and finger completely cover the penetration, and the display afterwards hides part of the penetrating card. A switch has to be involved to hand out, so what is so different then any of the other versions.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
The trailer dose not show me a very open and convincing handling. The thumb and finger completely cover the penetration, and the display afterwards hides part of the penetrating card. A switch has to be involved to hand out, so what is so different then any of the other versions.

No switch needed to hand it out.
You're free to try and work out your own handling if you so wish.
It may be that you have to make some sacrifices during the actual linking, but I don't believe specs really care about that when you immediately give it to them to keep.

I haven't made one up yet so I can't say how difficult it may be to make, and I also can't vouch for how closely it can be examined (depends on the quality of how well you made it.). However, after watching the video it seems easier to construct than I had imagined and I feel pretty confident that it could be examined closely.
I really like what I saw on the tutorial.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I really like the look of this, however I don't enjoy splitting cards. Does this involve splitting cards? PM me if you need to protect the secret. Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » O.C.L. by Ben Williams (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL