The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » "The Tempest" (theater play) co-directed by Teller (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chiartguy
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
56 Posts

Profile of chiartguy
I finally made it out to see "The Tempest," co-direced by Teller, at the Chicago Shakespeare Theater. Nearly everything about the production was great! The set was a clever mix of ship-like and stage elements. The music was amazing (Tom Waits is one of my favorites).

I was especially impressed by the stage illusions. There were a lot of magic effects utilized throughout the narrative, but it didn't all have a "hey, look at this fantastic magic thing I'm doing!" quality like it often does in big stage magic productions. Nearly all of the magic was directly motivated by the story and had a context. I even enjoyed some of the illusions that frequently make me cringe a bit.

I'd love to get some opinions from those of you who have also seen it, especially anyone who saw the Vegas version or the Los Angeles version.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
It was a fun show. The Caliban was very impressive. Chicago actor Larry Yando was great as Prospero. I thought the levitation was unmotivated and a letdown - the original scene it replaced could have been done in a really impressive way with some thought. But overall a fun show & well worth seeing.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
I wish they would release this on DVD for those of us who can't make it out.
of course, I'm sure if they did, it wouldn't be any time soon, but I can wait.
illusiontech
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
210 Posts

Profile of illusiontech
I worked extensively on the show aquiring the non magic props and set pieces. My Partner, Thom Rubino built all of the magic, minus the levitation which was John Gaughan. This was one of the most gratifying experiences of my life! It was very well received here in Las Vegas!

--Vinny
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » "The Tempest" (theater play) co-directed by Teller (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL