The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What drew you to mentalism? (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9770 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
What happened to the OP?
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
544 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
All great replies! Thanks everyone! To be honest, I am still technically in my freshman year of magic. I have really been exploring as much as I can, for two reasons. One reason is the pure enjoyment I get from learning about the artform itself. Two being the fact that since becoming disabled (about three years now) I actually have the time to explore at my own pace, and really find a place where I feel the most creative.

Mentalism however... I guess I just don't know enough about where to get started, or how to even approach it.
I'd hate for my ignorance on the subject to ruin it for me before I can get my toe in the door.

Also, where I live, it seems difficult, or near impossible to find anyone I can talk to or learn from in person. I know a mentor of some sort would be helpful, but beyond the Café, I just dunno.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Race-

Here's something I wrote just for someone like you. It's free, and you can read it at:

http://www.lybrary.com/thirtynine-steps-mentalism-a-10.html

Good thoughts,

Bob
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
544 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Race-

Here's something I wrote just for someone like you. It's free, and you can read it at:

http://www.lybrary.com/thirtynine-steps-mentalism-a-10.html

Good thoughts,

Bob

WOW! Thank you! This is GREAT!
Strange timing, too.
I was watching a video of you doing the blindfolded Russian Roulette around the same time you posted this link.
Spooky, Bob! haha
Thanks again! I'm off to start reading now. Smile
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I saw Tim Conover perform the cleanest newspaper tear/prediction at an SAM National convention. That performance always stuck with me. Then years later I saw Derren Brown's Something Wicked This Way Comes and Svengali. I was hooked. Plus, I realized I was being asked to do more stand up shows for adults than strolling or kids shows. I wanted to learn something new and mentalism was very exciting to me. I've been studying mentalism for about 3 or 4 years now.
nhanna
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
7 Posts

Profile of nhanna
Hi Race,

for me the reactions were much stronger even when it was more mental magic rather than mentalism. I also felt drawn to mentalism like it was a calling and I slowly started losing interest in anything that was not mentalism.
foxygrandma908
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of foxygrandma908
That T.V show The Mentalist with Simon Baker. Smile Actually it was when I realized my friends were more impressed with me simply guessing numbers or what cards they had rather than trying to do fanciful sleights of hand that I had practiced for hours on end. What has kept me in Mentalism is the range one has as a Mentalist. I can use cards if I wanted to, I can simply talk and do "readings", bend metal, read body language, predict the future, and so many other fields even if you wanted to get into the spiritual/mysticism stuff. I also feel that Mentalism is more geared toward educated people, no offense to any other form of our art.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
544 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2015, foxygrandma908 wrote:
I also feel that Mentalism is more geared toward educated people, no offense to any other form of our art.

I think any semi-intelligent person would agree with this comment. It's true, indeed. But also funny, because only an uneducated person would take offense. Hahaha
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Mentalism has a deeper trepanation in the minds of my audiences than normal magic in my own style of performing. Also my own way of thinking and creating tends to work better as a performer who creates believable mystery.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Trepanation? Are you drilling holes in your audiences heads? Smile
Mifune
View Profile
Loyal user
Spain
261 Posts

Profile of Mifune
In my case, I was a child that grew up with Juan Tamariz tv shows and David Copperfield specials. In one of these specials I saw the book test with the ice block that Orson Welles did. That made me realize that there was something deeper and serious than magic, despite I didn't know a better term for that.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2429 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2015, Dr Spektor wrote:
Another question - What drives you away from mentalism?

Most other performers.

To answer the OP's question - I don't honestly consider myself a mentalist. However, it is the closest thing to what I do.

What draws me to this field is simple: It's the closest thing to real magic that I can find. After getting completely disillusioned with the lack of magical-ness in magic, I find that the connections formed with the audience in a good mentalist performance is genuinely magical.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Trepanation? Are you drilling holes in your audiences heads? Smile

In a subtle and almost methaphorical manner Smile

I learn that from the latest Dr Crow DVD "Easy to Master Trepanation Miracles"
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1216 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
That's what I need more than new effects -- a hole in the head.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1724 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I was a kid's performer in Pittsburgh. In the early 60's, I met a magician who was doing midnight spook shows. He worked in about half a dozen states. He told mr that spookers used to be followed, about 6 months later, by a mind reading show. At the time, there were very few mental shows around, and if could develop an act, he would book me into the theaters that he was playing. I contacted Burling Hull. His course taught me the method that I still use. I also saw Myrus work, and knew what kind of a show I wanted. It took me a couple of years of testing in night clubs and banquets until I was comfortable with what I had. I was coming back from a convention I worked in Detroit, called my friend from the airport, and his wife told me that he died a couple of weeks ago. The banquet bookings kept coming in, and I continued doing he act.
So, I went onto mentalism for the money. 4 kids through college, none interested in performing magic.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1724 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I was a kid's performer in Pittsburgh. In the early 60's, I met a magician who was doing midnight spook shows. He worked in about half a dozen states. He told mr that spookers used to be followed, about 6 months later, by a mind reading show. At the time, there were very few mental shows around, and if could develop an act, he would book me into the theaters that he was playing. I contacted Burling Hull. His course taught me the method that I still use. I also saw Myrus work, and knew what kind of a show I wanted. It took me a couple of years of testing in night clubs and banquets until I was comfortable with what I had. I was coming back from a convention I worked in Detroit, called my friend from the airport, and his wife told me that he died a couple of weeks ago. The banquet bookings kept coming in, and I continued doing he act.
So, I went onto mentalism for the money. 4 kids through college, none interested in performing magic.
davidzajac1991
View Profile
New user
sunny south florida
18 Posts

Profile of davidzajac1991
This idea of mentalism has inspired me so much and changed my life. For the sake of clarity, I used to be depressed and watching the mentalist on T.V. made me want to perform it. So I started to read and as I read new neural connections formed and I quickly changed my life. This has nothing to do with performing but I feel a big connection to mentalism because of all the hours I forced myself to read.
Nerdy Wizard
View Profile
New user
Derby
86 Posts

Profile of Nerdy Wizard
I'm not going to lie, I saw Derren Brown on TV when he first appeared and went "I want to do that."
So I got to reading, and researching, and learning. I've flipped between mentalist and illusionist a couple of times in the last decade and have only recently put my illusionist side to rest and am now dedicated to the art of mentalism completely. I just find it both more interesting to research, and more of a joy to perform.
Teyo
View Profile
New user
New Brunswick, NJ
53 Posts

Profile of Teyo
After getting bored with card magic , I decided to explore many other fields of magic. Richard Osterlind's work got me wanting to know more .
Teyo
View Profile
New user
New Brunswick, NJ
53 Posts

Profile of Teyo
After getting bored with card magic , I decided to explore many other fields of magic. Richard Osterlind's work got me wanting to know more .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What drew you to mentalism? (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL