The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Source for Spring Snakes? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Does anyone have a good source for replacement spring snakes? Is it just me or do you also often have kids trying to walk away with them?

Thanks!
Dan.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3274 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Dan;

Kids would walk away with my rabbit if I didn't keep a very close eye on the rabbit.

By your question it seems that the kids are not trying to walk away with your spring snakes, they have succeeded.

I also use a spring snake in my routine, I watch the snake shoot out and I make sure I have it back in my hands before continuing with a routine.

What routine are you doing to let the snake out of your sight?
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Veteran user
Berlin/Germany
386 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
I got my great spring snake from a german dealer who sells a plastic can with an about 6-feet-snake for 24,50 Euro (product "SCHLANGENDOSE" from www.stolina.de). The snake really JUMPS FAST out of the can if someone opens the can. The snake and the can have the perfect size.

I remember to read that Hank Lee sold a very big snake but I never saw this one, maybe this snake is better, but is was expensive.

David Ginn sells several snakes (www.ginnmagic.com).
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Dan!

PM me. I may be able to help you.

Dick
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Dan!

PM me. I may be able to help you.

Dick
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
You are correct Howie! I use and love Mike Bents "Spider Can" as it is part of my Halloween Show. Like you, I always keep track of where my props fly but on rare occasions my audience transforms from cute and curious kids into little felons. This past week, one of my spring snakes was abducted but no ransom note was found. I can only hope he has found a loving home.

Dan.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3274 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Look on the bright side and think about this scenario;

Many years from now you will be sitting at home watching the television and some famous magician is being interviewed.

He will be asked how he became interested in magic and his reply will be;

When I was a young child I attended a magic show where the magician performing was not watching his spring snake and I stole his spring snake right in front of him by using a fake transfer and a vanish.

I took it home and started practicing my new spring snake routine and I attended a few other magic shows where I stole a few more tricks and when I had ripped off enough tricks, I started performing magic.

Dan, My advice for you is to nip this in the bud; stop performing a spring snake routine; and start performing a sword through the neck routine using a non-gimmick sword.... Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13350 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
There's no getting around the fact that when snakes spring onto the scene, kids will grab at them and a tug-o-war will ensue.
This will happen with any prop or item that makes it's way into an audience of kids.

Gracefully getting props back in a timely manner to keep them from getting ruined and to maintain the pace of the show is not easy without looking like an anal retentive fool with misplaced priorities. A lot of thought has to be put into exactly what to say and do to maintain your street cred.

An adult begging a roomful of 5-year-olds to get his toys back while they laugh and play keep-away is the last thing you need.
Anyone that tells you they weren't shocked how out of control things got, at least once, is lying.

In my early days of performing, I had a feeding frenzy over a slip of paper.
I let that happen once and learned from it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Funny Howie! My contribution to the future of the magical arts. I agree Frank ... It is quite an ongoing dance.

Dan.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I've been using Magic Inc.'s comedy balloon pump since 1965. It came with three snakes. The first thing I did was sew all three together in one long snake. I've ALWAYS AIMED THE PUMP SO SNAKES GO STRAIGHT UP. I can grab any part of the sneaky snake, and keep it from going into the audience. I've never had a problem with kids grabbing it.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1631 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
I have the best spring snakes in the business in various colours. They are 54 inches long, and made to last. They are covered in parachute material. PM me if interested. JR
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
I was watching some of my David Ginn Kid Biz dvd's and when he would produce spring snakes he would grab them and throw them over his backdrop. And it comes down to audience control, which I am bad about. There are a hundred other ideas on keeping them from the kids. Just my 2 cents.

Steven
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of Quentin
George Kovari of London makes an excellent and very long spring snake.
You can view his catalogue here and just click on the link to which part of the world you live.
http://www.kovarimagic.com/catalogue.html
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1214 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
I picked up a 50 foot Kovari snake from Hank Lee a couple of years ago. Not sure they are still available. Packs down into a Pringles can. It wasn't cheep, but one's all you need!
Marc
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3274 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2015, Quentin wrote:
George Kovari of London makes an excellent and very long spring snake.
You can view his catalogue here and just click on the link to which part of the world you live.
http://www.kovarimagic.com/catalogue.html


I own a few of KOVARI'S tricks and I must say that he is a master in building props, a 72 inch spring made in a spring company and covered as a snake in addition to a can to hold it for $48.00 is a very good deal because if it's a Kovari prop, you know it's coming from the best type of materials and built with care
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of noland
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2015, Howie Diddot wrote:
Dan;

Kids would walk away with my rabbit if I didn't keep a very close eye on the rabbit.

By your question it seems that the kids are not trying to walk away with your spring snakes, they have succeeded.

I also use a spring snake in my routine, I watch the snake shoot out and I make sure I have it back in my hands before continuing with a routine.


What routine are you doing to let the snake out of your sight?


I produce several long spring snakes in some of my shows, including from a snake can. I attached the bottom of the snake to the inside, bottom of the can, so that the snake springs out, but doesn't fly into the audience. The kids never have the opportunity to grab the snake. I avoid the indignity of fighting the kids to get the snake back, and am able to keep the show flowing smoothly and not becoming side-tracked with a spring snake battle.
William Dee
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of William Dee
Good luck all your going to find right now are fall snakes.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3274 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2015, Howie Diddot wrote:

Dan;

Kids would walk away with my rabbit if I didn't keep a very close eye on the rabbit.

By your question it seems that the kids are not trying to walk away with your spring snakes, they have succeeded.

I also use a spring snake in my routine, I watch the snake shoot out and I make sure I have it back in my hands before continuing with a routine.


What routine are you doing to let the snake out of your sight?


Quote:
On Oct 28, 2015, noland wrote:

I produce several long spring snakes in some of my shows, including from a snake can. I attached the bottom of the snake to the inside, bottom of the can, so that the snake springs out, but doesn't fly into the audience. The kids never have the opportunity to grab the snake. I avoid the indignity of fighting the kids to get the snake back, and am able to keep the show flowing smoothly and not becoming side-tracked with a spring snake battle.


Noland;

I like that idea and I'm going to see how I can attach the snake I use to the bottom of the prop.

Thanks
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of noland
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2015, Howie Diddot wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2015, Howie Diddot wrote:

Dan;

Kids would walk away with my rabbit if I didn't keep a very close eye on the rabbit.

By your question it seems that the kids are not trying to walk away with your spring snakes, they have succeeded.

I also use a spring snake in my routine, I watch the snake shoot out and I make sure I have it back in my hands before continuing with a routine.


What routine are you doing to let the snake out of your sight?


Quote:
On Oct 28, 2015, noland wrote:

I produce several long spring snakes in some of my shows, including from a snake can. I attached the bottom of the snake to the inside, bottom of the can, so that the snake springs out, but doesn't fly into the audience. The kids never have the opportunity to grab the snake. I avoid the indignity of fighting the kids to get the snake back, and am able to keep the show flowing smoothly and not becoming side-tracked with a spring snake battle.


Noland;

I like that idea and I'm going to see how I can attach the snake I use to the bottom of the prop.

Thanks


For the snake can, I drilled a hole in the bottom of the can. Then I took a length of fishing line, sewed it to the bottom of the snake, then fed the line through the hole from inside of the can to the outside, tied the line to small safety pin and taped the pin flat against the bottom of the can. I left several inches of play in the line so that the bottom of the snake wasn't tight against the inside bottom of the can.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3274 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2015, Howie Diddot wrote:

Dan;

Kids would walk away with my rabbit if I didn't keep a very close eye on the rabbit.

By your question it seems that the kids are not trying to walk away with your spring snakes, they have succeeded.

I also use a spring snake in my routine, I watch the snake shoot out and I make sure I have it back in my hands before continuing with a routine.


What routine are you doing to let the snake out of your sight?


Quote:
On Oct 28, 2015, noland wrote:

I produce several long spring snakes in some of my shows, including from a snake can. I attached the bottom of the snake to the inside, bottom of the can, so that the snake springs out, but doesn't fly into the audience. The kids never have the opportunity to grab the snake. I avoid the indignity of fighting the kids to get the snake back, and am able to keep the show flowing smoothly and not becoming side-tracked with a spring snake battle.


Quote:
On Oct 28, 2015, Howie Diddot wrote:

Noland;

I like that idea and I'm going to see how I can attach the snake I use to the bottom of the prop.

Thanks


Quote:
On Oct 29, 2015, noland wrote:

For the snake can, I drilled a hole in the bottom of the can. Then I took a length of fishing line, sewed it to the bottom of the snake, then fed the line through the hole from inside of the can to the outside, tied the line to small safety pin and taped the pin flat against the bottom of the can. I left several inches of play in the line so that the bottom of the snake wasn't tight against the inside bottom of the can.


The large snake that I want to attach is not in a can; this snake is in a wooden box that happens to be the boyfriend snake to my girl snake that lives in a snake basket and moves up and down by remote control.

The boyfriend snake is released from the wooden box that also opens by remote control at the end of my show just before I perform my rabbit trick that's ends my show.

I will look at the box and the snake, but I'm just too lazy to do it today... Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Source for Spring Snakes? (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL