The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » First spirit bell (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Oliver Wallen
View Profile
Regular user
London
152 Posts

Profile of Oliver Wallen
Hi. I normally stay withing penny and inner, but with halloween coming up, id like to do something with a more graveyard feel. The idea that I've got is a series of pk touches followed by spirit slates.

I'm looking for my first spirit bell to use - something relatively cheap.

I've come across this: http://www.magicnook.com/Magi-tronics/MT......Bell.htm

Can someone please let me know how good this spirit bell is, or if there is a better/more reliable one for roughly the same price (this is a $5 manual that teaches you how to build it for under $40 - I hope I can get all the parts in England!)

Thanks, and have a nice day.

Oli
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Depends a lot on whether you are skilled in craft work or not. Not everyone can glue two sticks together. The e-book is probably worth the $5 just for the source list, if there is one. Not a bad price. I do disagree with the author on the advertisement. I probably have a lot of people that disagree with me but a spirit answering yes and no questions by ringing a bell would get boring if prolonged. I prefer a pendulum for this type of Q&A and use the spirit bell for a once or twice indication the 'spirits are here' during a performance. Everyone has their own perspective but something to think about.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Oliver Wallen
View Profile
Regular user
London
152 Posts

Profile of Oliver Wallen
I've been performing mentalism fairly casually for almost 2 years now and this is the first time I'll be doing something bizarre related- although it's interested me for a long time.
The idea that I have is not to use it as a yes/no, but instead to use it as evidence that a spirit has arrived, as you said.
But never having used a spirit bell before and not wanting to pay upwards of £100, I was wondering if this one was a good place to start.

EDIT: oops, I misread that as "skilled in the craft" as in the craft of bizarre magic. My crafting skills are fairly okay.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2015, Oliver Wallen wrote:
I've been performing mentalism fairly casually for almost 2 years now and this is the first time I'll be doing something bizarre related- although it's interested me for a long time.
The idea that I have is not to use it as a yes/no, but instead to use it as evidence that a spirit has arrived, as you said.
But never having used a spirit bell before and not wanting to pay upwards of £100, I was wondering if this one was a good place to start.

EDIT: oops, I misread that as "skilled in the craft" as in the craft of bizarre magic. My crafting skills are fairly okay.

I was referring to skilled in building stuff... lol. The performance is going to be in the storytelling so I can imagine this will work well for what you want to do and within the limits to what you wish to spend. I am not familiar with this bell but it interests me more than the typical ones because of it's simplicity. No complicated back story of how you obtained this 'one in the world' bell or how it belonged to some demented slasher. Just set it up and let it do it's job. For $5 for e-book and $40 in materials how can you go wrong?

Bizarre magic is so much fun but you have to be careful to bring your audience back out of it once finished. I did an effect this past weekend that I put together from combining 3 routine principles into one from bizarre magicians on this site. Etherica, Whitestar, and Inferno. The effect played so strong I had to follow it up with two additional effects to get the audience back to where they were before the effect began.

Have fun with it and welcome to this forum.
Oliver Wallen
View Profile
Regular user
London
152 Posts

Profile of Oliver Wallen
Thank you.

Bizarre magic is a lot of fun. The only reason I haven't ventured more into it is because of how expensive a lot of the props are!

There's also this bell: http://www.magicnook.com/Magi-tronics/MT......Bell.htm and my latest problem is deciding which one I like more.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
Thank you.

Bizarre magic is a lot of fun. The only reason I haven't ventured more into it is because of how expensive a lot of the props are!

There's also this bell: http://www.magicnook.com/Magi-tronics/MT......Bell.htm and my latest problem is deciding which one I like more.

It's like embalming, a little is better than more. Most suggest you use only one electronic prop at the most so you can do bizarre with few props of expensive value if you rely more on the story telling than the prop. you can also make a lot of your own props for many bizarre effects. It depends upon what you are trying to accomplish and what your audience will be. You'd be surprised how powerful a replica newspaper and an old coin can play with the proper story. I find a lot of my props at yard sales. Paid $1 for an old box that listed cigars 2 for 5 cents, $5 for a 1920's mailing box, with stamps to authenticate the date. Put an intriguing story to them and you're ready to go. a string and weight makes a pendulum and there are a lot of effects using them.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The author of those two e-Books at The Magic Nook, Jolyon Jenkins, is from the UK, so you should have no difficulty finding the parts for either of them there. Once you build the spirit bell what you use it for and how well you make use of it is all up to you. There's one more spirit bell at The Magic Nook that I like for this time of year - "Santa's Magic Jingle Bell" from The Wizard's Journal # 22 - no electronics required. You DID know that Santa is an elf, didn't you? The jingle bell is used to tell him who is being naughty and who is being nice. But you can bizarre it up if you want to. Once you make the props, as I said, how you use them is up to you.
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
769 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
For a fool proof option you might consider a Spirit Glass - Adrian Deery makes them and they come very highly recommended:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......600854#0

I have one and it looks great, hasn't ever failed me, and with a spooky back story it is just as good if not better as a seance tool.
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
769 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
For a fool proof option you might consider a Spirit Glass - Adrian Deery makes them and they come very highly recommended:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......600854#0

I have one and it looks great, hasn't ever failed me, and with a spooky back story it is just as good if not better as a seance tool.
minty
View Profile
Elite user
Rugby, Warwickshire
423 Posts

Profile of minty
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2015, Lo Pan wrote:
For a fool proof option you might consider a Spirit Glass - Adrian Deery makes them and they come very highly recommended.

Adrian's a great guy to deal with. He sent one to me in the UK and it arrived quickly and well-packaged. It worked straight out of the box. I was so impressed I immediately purchased a second one from him.

It's probably slightly more expensive than buying plans and constructing something yourself. However, it is very deceptive and you can be up and running in seconds.
Oliver Wallen
View Profile
Regular user
London
152 Posts

Profile of Oliver Wallen
Looks great, but for $75 it's a bit outside my budget for now. It's definitely something to consider if I become more professional in this field.
Thanks for all your input.
YitzhakNoDice
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
517 Posts

Profile of YitzhakNoDice
Another non-electronic version is described in Lary's book "Hidden Things". All of Lary's provide great examples of Bizarre magic at its best.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/lary-kuehn/hidd......035.html
A wise man's question contains half the answer. - Solomon ben Judah, Philosopher
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Can I ask where are you planning to perform this and where? As there may be more low budget non-electronic methods which will suit what you need fine.
Oliver Wallen
View Profile
Regular user
London
152 Posts

Profile of Oliver Wallen
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2015, Joshua J wrote:
Can I ask where are you planning to perform this and where? As there may be more low budget non-electronic methods which will suit what you need fine.

It's going to be on Halloween night in my university's orchard. You're right about non-electric methods. I'm considering using a thread which is activated by stepping on a long trip-wire across the ground.
The general flow of the routine will be PK touch with a voodoo doll, ringing of the spirit bell, slate writing.

The thing I like about the trip-wire method is, theoretically, I could stand in a wide variety of places and still activate the bell.
Oliver Wallen
View Profile
Regular user
London
152 Posts

Profile of Oliver Wallen
I'd also like to apologise for revealing a potential method in this forum. I was convinced that I was Inside the Crypt. I hope you accept my apology and I note that I will be far more careful in future.
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
You could consider an alternative sign of ghost activity. Perhaps a book or other object falling off a table easy enough to set up low key without investing money in something you may not use again or have time to make and practise with at this stage before Halloween..
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Just been playing about with such thing's low key mentioned and moving object's and making them fall of the shelf,pretty easy to do and you can come off looking clean as well.
Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

Profile of Nyama Possessor
I can also HIGHLY recommend the Spirit Glass/Bell that Adrian Deery makes... Very high quality, and definitely worth the price. I bought one from him 11 or 12 years ago, and had used it for many, many years... Sadly it got destroyed along with everything else in the house fire. Yet, definitely going to purchase another one in the near future. Like others mentioned above, Adrian is an all-around great guy and truly an experienced craftsman.
The Honorable NYAMA POSSESSOR

Co-Founder & Co-Creator of MAGICAL REALISM, Owner of ANCESTRAL REALM PRODUCTIONS

* 17 Year Member of the Shadow Network * ICBM Alumnus *

Creator/Author of SUMMONING RUMI and numerous other underground proprietary releases...
Books, routines and tools coming soon, available only and exclusively at www.AlchemyMoon.com
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
769 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
Ok - I think I have the perfect solution for you. Simply go to Ed Carlyle's web site and make a purchase, I bought several of his haunted keys, and if you contact him he may throw in the plans for his spirit bell for free! His haunted key is flawless and the spirit bell plans are very helpful. Click the link below for details:

http://www.carlyletouch.com/Seance.html
Jiggery-Pokery
View Profile
New user
Scotland
55 Posts

Profile of Jiggery-Pokery
Quote:
Thank you.

I believe this is a misunderstanding about Bizarre Magic that has kept many potentially wonderful purveyors away.
Bizarre Magic is not about the props, which I admit can be expensive if you want limited produced or high tech trickery-
But I urge you to read further and look at what drives the idea of Bizarre and what the affect of an effect should be.

All of my Strongest effects are legitimate antiques that fit a story and not all were terribly expensive. What is more necessary than another electronic bell is the imagination that informs your eye when you see something interesting in a junk shop.

Please do not become dependant on high tech tricks to fool your participants but look for ways to lead them on a journey to some destination emotionally. Scare them, inspire them, cause them to wonder about the fabric of reality but please don't just trick them
Invovo legem magicarum
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » First spirit bell (16 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL