The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » First spirit bell (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
647 Posts

Profile of Winks
Well said.
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1360 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2015, Jiggery-Pokery wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2015, Oliver Wallen wrote:
Thank you.

Bizarre magic is a lot of fun. The only reason I haven't ventured more into it is because of how expensive a lot of the props are!

There's also this bell: http://www.magicnook.com/Magi-tronics/MT......Bell.htm and my latest problem is deciding which one I like more.

I believe this is a misunderstanding about Bizarre Magic that has kept many potentially wonderful purveyors away.
Bizarre Magic is not about the props, which I admit can be expensive if you want limited produced or high tech trickery-
But I urge you to read further and look at what drives the idea of Bizarre and what the affect of an effect should be.

All of my Strongest effects are legitimate antiques that fit a story and not all were terribly expensive. What is more necessary than another electronic bell is the imagination that informs your eye when you see something interesting in a junk shop.

Please do not become dependant on high tech tricks to fool your participants but look for ways to lead them on a journey to some destination emotionally. Scare them, inspire them, cause them to wonder about the fabric of reality but please don't just trick them

I could not agree more. As one who creates some of these high-priced products, I also publish how to do other effects in our wonderful field--my most recently published effect (long underground) requires nothing but a needle, some thread, a button, and the ability to tell a convincing story.

Jiggery-Pokery will want me to mention that this effect can be found in the twentieth anniversary Dark Waltz.

Buying wonderful props is a joy unto itself, but our art is also very comfortable with inexpensive, easily found items. The most important aspect is a good story, well told.

BC
Phasmologist
TEB3
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
343 Posts

Profile of TEB3
Prof.,

Preaching to the choir. I've been getting away with simple things since 1980. But the real fun is putting a twist on things and that's where the story and scripting comes in as well as the "flow" in the set of pieces. Always the Devil in The Details.

Lary
Jiggery-Pokery
View Profile
New user
Scotland
49 Posts

Profile of Jiggery-Pokery
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2015, PROF BC wrote:

Jiggery-Pokery will want me to mention that this effect can be found in the twentieth anniversary Dark Waltz.

Buying wonderful props is a joy unto itself, but our art is also very comfortable with inexpensive, easily found items. The most important aspect is a good story, well told.

BC

Thank you Professor.
I also add there is a full chapter in he book that explains how to build and use the crystal spirit bell with a back story and a script to inspire you.

www.BizarreMagic.com
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
Oliver I have been interested in getting these magic nook e books for a while and just never have really found the time that I want to start on new project. I ticker with wood working and mild electronic builds and I think this route is right up my alley. I have found a very very strong super coil that for the size and powering off just a 9 volt puts out quite a punch. But that one coil cost about 40.00, thus far I have done nothing with it other than having fun with magnets. If you enjoy building then most definately get the ebooks and go that route. but you might no really save too much in money.
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
647 Posts

Profile of Winks
Might I ask where you found it? Thanks.
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
812 Posts

Profile of lin
Yes, please. I'd be interested to know too.
Oliver Wallen
View Profile
Regular user
London
152 Posts

Profile of Oliver Wallen
Where who found what? I've been out of the loop for a while. Thanks for all of your help.

In the end, I went for a very DIY spirit which I talked about before, but none of the materials arrived so I didn't end up using one.

And while I know that Bizarre magic isn't about props, I have no idea about how to turn ordinary antiques into great stories so I thought a prop might be a good starting point. I don't know what one might do with a general antique.
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

I have been trying to hunt down the exact website I bought from but I think these coils are not too hard to find online. The one I bought is basically about 1/2 inch by 1 1/2 diameter
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
647 Posts

Profile of Winks
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

Winks that looks like the it. Good hunting
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » First spirit bell (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL