The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Up early or stay at a motel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Try parking in a school lot today. Nada
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3642 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Well Jay, I have never had a 7 AM call. I have almost no shows before 10 AM. Almost all of my shows are after noon. However, if I HAD to do a 7 AM, I would def. spend the night there. If I couldn't have the motel $$ on my fee, I would turn the gig down.

Jim
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2015, jay leslie wrote:
Not till Thursday morning.
I'll have to cancel my red carpet movie premier at Grauman's and the after party in Beverly Hills, Wednesday night.

Grauman's!!! Jay did you get a time machine and go back in time?

Grauman's was three names back in time....
Smile Smile
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
That's what all the locals still call it.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1420 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Drive with extra time as that is not much more than an hour drive where I am from. PS I notice many older people in my life seem to nap more and don't sleep as much. My father does not sleep well and still is up at the crack of dawn where I in middle age would be sleeping later. Also some seniors nap more during the day so maybe up at 4 am... Smile I seriously believe after a certain age people need less sleep.
It is either that or they know they don't have much time left so they will "sleep when they are dead." Smile
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
First I want to commend Dick for even KNOWING what a "grouch bag" is (and I wonder how many let that sip by not even knowing what he was referring to)!

Second, I hate having to get up before breakfast, but its something you do to feed the family.

And finally, the best answer is don't book morning shows!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
A. I need every one I can get. There's so much competition in this area.
B. I got up early so at 1pm I went back to sleep and didn't get up for 10 hours.
C I must be the exception to older people needing less sleep but then again I'm only 127 in a few days.

Thanks for all the input.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
10 hours of sleep! AAAHHHHH! Paradise!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Egad! I slipped into that old carnie and circus argot, almost automatically! The late Roy Kissell was an old carnie friend, who used "JCL" frequently, and, I guess I "caught it" from Roy.

I've never been "red lighted" either! But, I did start in show business on the low rung of the ladder! (I was a "pickled punk" for Lou Dufour!) --and, it was a "ding" show.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I sewear on a stack of bibles that this happened;

I was 14 and shared a 90 mile ride in a Volkswagen bug. It was for an Elks club an with a hydraulic dance floor that started to rise up and it knocked my table over !
The MC drove while the stripper sat in the front. I was crammed in the back with a guitar three costume bags and my folding suitcase table. I sat on my side and my legs were crossed the entire trip.

On the return trip , when we got back in town the MC driver kicked me out at 5 am and (at 14) I had to roll my suitcase table all the way home (with those little plastic castors) which was 5 miles up hill. We lived on the highest mountain in the city.

(There you go Michael, another story from the past - all in one show)

Did I mention the heater was broke and constantly running? And did I mention that we drove down a private road and all three of us got tickets for trespassing? 14, and a ticket for trespassing Smile
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
And to make things worse, here was my introduction.

OK were going to have that kid that's on TV for 25 minutes, so... everyone can tell their wives we saw that kid on TV And No One Mentions The Stripper Ever.... Do I have your word on that? Remember, we saw the kid on TV and don't never mention the stripper 0k? 0k? 0k, good.... Keep your mouths shut. FOREVER... All of youse.

So here is is for seven for 10 or 15!minutes until the girl comes out --- And Remember, Its His First Time Here so... No One Is Allowed To Throw Beer Bottles - - He's Just A Kid, - Carl and - John.. If you want to throw your bingo cards, that's ok but don't hurt him cuz we don't have no way to explain it. HAY! Put the bottles down... NOW! I'm serious.

So here is is for 3!or 4 minutes The Music Kid
Hay Kid, Make it quick because everyone's here for the girl, not you.

-----------
And I had to sit outside on the steps, in the snow, while snow flakes came down. the entire 40 minutes the stripper was "entertaining"
But the funny part is we all used the same dressing room and she wasn't shy at all. A little drunk but not shy.

You can't make this stuff up people. It really happened.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
LOL!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Man, oh man! Been through similar situations myself ...
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Geoff Akins
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Geoff Akins
I'll throw my two cents in. It all depends on whether I have other shows the day before or after. I have two children under 4 at home so that has changed the dynamics a bit too. I tend to drive out early so I can be with them the night before. It does help beating traffic. For shows that are farther away I do drive out the night before. I'd rather be refreshed and ready to go then arrive road-weary from too long of a drive. As for paying for hotels...I realized years ago I had to reframe it and see it more as a business expense and a tax write off rather than as an additional cost. Plus, I use an app for hotels.com that rewards me with free stays for every ten stays.
lurker
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of lurker
I would most certainly go the day beforehand and stay in a hotel. The show would be a lot better that way. There is nothing worse than arriving at a show rushed and harassed. I would prefer to sleep well in a hotel, relax the night before and get there in plenty of time.

Of course we are all different. I have lived most of my life in hotels and am perfectly used to it. It might be harder for other people with a different life style.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Up early or stay at a motel (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL