The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Bring My Rabbit, but Leave The Balloons In My Car. (81 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3284 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2015, Starrpower wrote:

Personally, I think people overreact based upon false information. Buzz, how many kids have REALLY choked on balloons a magicians gave them? It sounds a little like a made-up sales pitch (which I am not at all opposed to, since you did not lie, just raised the issue).


I have posted this link for Tony to read in a past thread, which he has said and not not relevant

Starpower;

I don't think it matters to the parents of a dead child if a magician, a balloon twister gave the kid a balloon, or if the balloon was purchased in a store


https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=ch......n+deaths

To be fair, I also Googled children's deaths while a magician is performing with a rabbit, but could not find any instance of a child's dying.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3284 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2015, TonyB2009 wrote:
Howie, we had a pointless and futile discussion on this topic that went no place, and now you are bringing it up again just a week later. You are doing it to be vexatious. There is no other purpose to this thread. And we all know that, despite what you may think.


Tony;

In the last thread we had a discussion on this topic you believe it be pointless because it did not go your way; you think it was pointless because you were not persuasive and you were fighting a losing battle from me and other members in the Café so as the increasing number of members were posting that you were erroneous and you just stopped posting


Are you now taking the position that all the other members that have posted to this thread are all wasting their time and are fools?


Last year in a thread that both you and I were contributing to we discussed balloon safety; I posted FACTS about children choking and dying because of swallowing deflated balloons and you replied by ignoring my links and independent cautions from organizations like the Center for Disease Control and the American Pediatric Society and then went on to advertising your DVD on swallowing balloons.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
992 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I took a peek at Howie's website, (link in a Howie post a couple above this) and to say I'm confused is an understatement.

I can't figure out your rational for the cheap (maybe free) show option you offer. Doesn't seem like a good strategy to me. Then again, I'm just sharing my opinion. Then the continual plugging of giving away rabbits to everyone is also interesting. Adopting them,,,,buying them, have the family come on stage for the presentation of the give away rabbit to the birthday child etc etc. All very interesting.
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3284 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2015, Al Kazam the Magic Man wrote:
I took a peek at Howie's website, (link in a Howie post a couple above this) and to say I'm confused is an understatement.

I can't figure out your rational for the cheap (maybe free) show option you offer. Doesn't seem like a good strategy to me. Then again, I'm just sharing my opinion. Then the continual plugging of giving away rabbits to everyone is also interesting. Adopting them,,,,buying them, have the family come on stage for the presentation of the give away rabbit to the birthday child etc etc. All very interesting.


Al Kazam;

I'm also confused, what does your post have to do with using a rabbit in a magic show?

It is off the topic and confusing to me because you have asked the same question a few years back in a thread.

I will answer your same questions again only because after more performances, I can add additional expediences to my answer.

You are correct the rabbit program is interesting; the "adopt a rabbit" is very exciting to the child who is interested in learning magic receiving the rabbit in my magic class from parents that are encouraging to the child's interests and maybe some day including the rabbit in a little magic show he or she performs.

To continue on your off topic reply.

If you can't figure out my rational for the cheap (maybe free) show option I offer to parents that have major medical bills for a very ill child or in some other way suffered a major financial hardship with no options for purchasing presents and through no fault of the child, the parents just can't afford to provide an entertaining party for a child that will allow the child and his or her friends to enjoy a day in his or her life and will be remembered and bring one day of joy to a families life.

On one show the situation was so dire, in addition to the free show, I paid for the soda and pizza; mom made the cake, the cake was made with love and gratitude and it was the best birthday cake I ever tasted

If this is confusing, hopefully I have to your satisfaction explained why I offer the option.

Now back to the topic.
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Meriden, CT
431 Posts

Profile of TKD27
I'm primarily a balloon artist, so I've had a different experience than you. I did donate a magic show to a public school once where I was asked not to use balloons because of a latex allergy, but other than that I've never run in to a problem. I've also never had anyone ask me about a rabbit (which I don't have), but like others, I don't mention it, instead focusing on balloons. I read in a post on a balloon Facebook group recently that, in the US, an average of two children die due to balloon related issues per year. Any time someone dies (especially a child) it's a terrible tragedy. But when accounting for all the bizarre (and not so bizarre) things that take people's lives each year, two deaths is a statistical blip. I don't know the source of that info, so take it with a grain of salt if you'd like.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3284 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Hi TKD.

If you receive a phone call to perform, it will never be a problem; it's the calls you never get from the parents that have kids with allergies that looks at your advertisement and says "Can't hire him, he performs with balloons" that you don't know about.

I never get calls about balloons because I don't offer balloons in my show

You are correct, if your statistics are correct for this discussion, two deaths are a statistical blip... unless it's a child that dies at a show you are performing and you have to look at the parents of the child that has died... then it becomes a nightmare.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
789 Posts

Profile of Rook
I haven't done balloons in half of forever. The one time that I was asked not to use balloons was because the guest of honor was latex sensitive. I've since met a few people like that: it's more common than one would think..

My dove and rabbit, however, are ever the stars of the show.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Meriden, CT
431 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2015, Howie Diddot wrote:
You are correct, if your statistics are correct for this discussion, two deaths are a statistical blip... unless it's a child that dies at a show you are performing and you have to look at the parents of the child that has died... then it becomes a nightmare.


I've never heard of a child dying due to a performer, though. Maybe it's happened? But I feel like it would be a well publicized story within our community if it did.

And if I miss out on calls because I do balloons, that's cool. You can't be all things to all people Smile
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3284 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I don't know if a child died at a party and I'm not going to spend time looking on the Internet to prove a point, this is only a discussion and I know this thread will not change how balloons are given out at a party, or if a rabbit should be part of a magic show.

It is just a discussion on balloons and rabbits.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
992 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2015, Howie Diddot wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2015, Al Kazam the Magic Man wrote:
I took a peek at Howie's website, (link in a Howie post a couple above this) and to say I'm confused is an understatement.

I can't figure out your rational for the cheap (maybe free) show option you offer. Doesn't seem like a good strategy to me. Then again, I'm just sharing my opinion. Then the continual plugging of giving away rabbits to everyone is also interesting. Adopting them,,,,buying them, have the family come on stage for the presentation of the give away rabbit to the birthday child etc etc. All very interesting.


Al Kazam;

I'm also confused, what does your post have to do with using a rabbit in a magic show?

It is off the topic and confusing to me because you have asked the same question a few years back in a thread.

I will answer your same questions again only because after more performances, I can add additional expediences to my answer.

You are correct the rabbit program is interesting; the "adopt a rabbit" is very exciting to the child who is interested in learning magic receiving the rabbit in my magic class from parents that are encouraging to the child's interests and maybe some day including the rabbit in a little magic show he or she performs.

To continue on your off topic reply.

If you can't figure out my rational for the cheap (maybe free) show option I offer to parents that have major medical bills for a very ill child or in some other way suffered a major financial hardship with no options for purchasing presents and through no fault of the child, the parents just can't afford to provide an entertaining party for a child that will allow the child and his or her friends to enjoy a day in his or her life and will be remembered and bring one day of joy to a families life.

On one show the situation was so dire, in addition to the free show, I paid for the soda and pizza; mom made the cake, the cake was made with love and gratitude and it was the best birthday cake I ever tasted

If this is confusing, hopefully I have to your satisfaction explained why I offer the option.

Now back to the topic.



THIS IS THE PART I'M CONFUSED ABOUT. It comes across to me like it's not really a done deal until a few days before the party, and only if paid by credit card or debit card. And depends on where you'll be,,if any late minute shows come in, etc etc. Man if you're going to offer people who are in dire straits a cheap show,,,make it easy for them to book the darn thing. If it really matters that much to you to be a good samaritan, why the need for up front fees, and a list of conditions?

Finally...please don't try and lecture me about charitable giving of shows to people in need. I know an awful lot about it...trust me.

Howie Diddit's website copy,,NOT MINE

If you truly feel you fall into this category and are in fact not able to afford the Beta show, please email Howie at Howie@kids-magic.com. Howie will call you on the telephone and discuss the circumstances, the budget, his availability, and the type of show he can provide. As with every other magic show Howie performs, the show will end with a trick that will produce a live rabbit that the children will be allowed to pet.

Conditions apply:

• Committing to perform at your party depends on the other magical events booked that day, the time of your child's party and the location.

• As with any performance Howie schedules, the appearance at your event will depend on Howie being able to complete the earlier commitments, travel to your location in time, perform a fun and non rushed routine allowing time to pet the rabbit and finish the show in a professional manner and then allow time for Howie to move on to the next event without overbooking the day.

• The Delta show cannot be booked before the week of the child's party.

• The full cost of the agreed upon amount must be paid in advance by credit, or debit card.
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3284 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
My question for you is why are you so interested in how I run my business?

I was not lecturing you, I was answering a question you asked me; if you don't like the way I answer your questions, don't ask me questions.

You also just told me to trust you, Why? In fact, the last time you asked the question in a thread about my charitable shows, you commented that if you do not get paid your full fee, you do not perform.

so I will answer your question only in the hopes that you will follow in my footsteps and advertise a program on your website; only then will I trust you

There are some people that will try to scam me for a free show when in fact they have a Mercedes parked in their driveway; the rules that I have set up have prevented the scammers from trying to take advantage. The truly needy will gladly call and arrange the party so I can fit them in to my regular schedule and allow me to provide a fun and memorable party for their children.

I looked at your website and noticed that you do not offer a charitable program at all.

As I looked at your website I was also confused, now allow me point out what confuses me.

You advertise that you are “Perth’s best kids party Magical Entertainer” I found that claim to be odd, so I cut the claim off your website and pasted the claim into Google and found out by looking at websites that rate performers that you are not rated the best by parents in Perth; many other magicians have much higher ratings

Here are just a couple to prove my point;

whodoyou.com has you rated in the number 4 position with a 7.2 rating, the number 1 rated magician has an 8.7 rating

https://www.whodoyou.com/l/perth--australia/magician

You are number 7 on entertainoz.com.

http://www.entertainoz.com.au/Entertaine......nt/Perth

I could have researched more, but this proves my point

It confuses me that you rate yourself the best magician in Perth, when I could not find any evidence of you wining any local or regional competitions and the ratings of websites that rate magicians’ reveal you are not the best rated magician in Perth.

To save you the time on looking at my website, I DO NOT mention anywhere that I am the best magician in San Francisco, because I do not have the years of experience and training that other magicians in my area have.

You post on your website that you only have 16 years of experience yourself; while researching your claim I looked at websites of very successful magicians in Perth that have extensive training and more than 20 to 30 years of experience that do not feel the need to make claims of being the "BEST"...they just overshadow you in experience and in the number of performances

Before you ridicule my business practices, look within yourself at your website claims and your business practices.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2281 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2015, Howie Diddot wrote: Before you ridicule my business practices, look within yourself at your website claims and your business practices.


Kudos, Howie!
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I have said this repeatedly, and Howie can not contradict this: No child has died due to a performer giving him a 260. It has not happened. So we can stop pretending it is an actual danger when it isn't.

Latex allergies, on the other hand, are uncommon but real dangers. The parents will know and not book balloon artists.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3284 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I do not contradict that you have said repeatedly that balloons are not a danger and I agree with you that I don't know if in fact any child has ever died from specifically receiving a 260 balloon from a magician.

I disagree with your comment that balloons are not dangerous. children have died from swallowing balloons; balloons can be dangerous if swallowed by any man, woman or child.

New magician's and balloon twisters with little experience join the Magic Café every day.

All I am doing is repeatedly mentioning a documented fact that in the past children have died from swallowing a deflated balloon.

I don't post this warning to prevent other magicians and balloon twisters from giving out balloons, I post a warning here to warn other members to be observant and use caution when giving out balloons.

Tony;

When you post a blanket statement that balloons are not dangerous, you are masking a potential problem.

I don't see why you can't see a danger of a deflated balloon in a child's mouth and admit the documented fact that children have died by a deflated balloon lodged in an airway.

For balloon artists reading my posts concerning balloons; When you become aware of the dangers of balloons and you decide to become a balloon artist, be cautious to look around IF you hear a balloon pop while working and make sure deflated pieces are picked up from the floor by an adult.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2281 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2015, TonyB2009 wrote:
I have said this repeatedly, and Howie can not contradict this: No child has died due to a performer giving him a 260. It has not happened. So we can stop pretending it is an actual danger when it isn't.


Is it your contention that no 260s have ever been involved in child suffocation, or just that no 260s received from a "performer" have ever caused child suffocation?
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3284 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2015, MichaelCGM wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2015, TonyB2009 wrote:
I have said this repeatedly, and Howie can not contradict this: No child has died due to a performer giving him a 260. It has not happened. So we can stop pretending it is an actual danger when it isn't.


Is it your contention that no 260s have ever been involved in child suffocation, or just that no 260s received from a "performer" have ever caused child suffocation?


Michael;

Just to be clear on my reply to Tony.

My interpretation of his post was to mean that since a performer has never given an child a 260 balloon that was the cause of a death, it has never been a problem, and since in his opinion there has never been a death attributed to a magician giving a child a 260 balloon in the past, there will never be a danger of a child choking on a 260 balloon in the future.

In Tony's words cut & pasted here, " we can stop pretending it is an actual danger when it isn't" and Tony is inferring that in the future I should never post about the danger of a balloon choking a child again.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Howie, when has a performer ever given out a deflated balloon? You are inventing dangers to support your ridiculous position, but what is new in that?

Michael, no one has been able to produce a single instance of a child dying as a result of an entertainer giving out a balloon. That is what I am saying. I am not saying it is impossible, just that it has not happened. Of course it could. And a child could swallow a sponge ball and choke. So do we ban those? A chair suspension could fall and hit a prone child on the head and kill him. Do we ban that prop? Or do we use common sense? Balloon modelling has been going on since 1939. 76 years, and we are still awaiting Howie's doomsday scenario.

If I were petty I could cite this report on rabbits and asthma attacks, and give out about the health dangers of bringing a rodent into a home: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2693847/

But that would be lowering the tone of this forum even further.
Karen Climer
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Florida
324 Posts

Profile of Karen Climer
"when has a performer ever given out a a deflated balloon?" Every once in a while, someone will ask for an uninflated balloon, usually it's a teenager. This is not during a show, but if I'm doing line work. I always tell the teenager that I can't give him an uniflated balloon because it's a choking hazard. Of course, this drives the teen crazy. Obviously he is old enough not to choke on it, but it's fun to use that as an excuse. The real reason is that I'm not a balloon store. I'm a balloon entertainer. I don't provide balloons. I provide entertainment. Somehow that wouldn't be as much fun to say to a teenager.

In any case, Tony, you are right. If we thought of every possible problem that could possibly happen, we would all be out of business. The people would not even be able to get to our shows because it's possible that they could get in a car accident on the way to the show.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Karen, the voice of reason! Well put.

And I hate it too when someone asks for an uninflated balloon. Occasionally I will give one to a persistent dad and insist he blow it up then and there. I take a perverse delight in his failure.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3284 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Tony;

Do you even read my posts before you go off on a tangent?

Do you think I invented this?



As far as a child never dying from blowing up a balloon, this tragic accident happened in Belfast at a birthday party

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/g......213.html


How do you explain this?

http://www.fisher-price.com/en_US/parent......angerous
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Bring My Rabbit, but Leave The Balloons In My Car. (81 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL