The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Frozen (Elsa) theme (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mika
View Profile
New user
USA & Germany
100 Posts

Profile of mika
Hello,

I am working on a Frozen theme. I have a few ideas I am going to implement, like I am dressed like Elsa I have a Olaf Ventriloquist Dummy doll. a routine with white balls (manipulation,sleight of hand and juggling), club juggling the clubs are icecicles,then there is the ventriloquism part
I am a decent card manipulator and have a cup an ball routine. It just seems that those things are related enough to a Frozen theme. I was thinking of doing a Floating ice crystal impression like on the pic. I would appreciate if if someone could point me into the direction of some feasible "Frozen" related magic.

Mika

Click here to view attached image.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
925 Posts

Profile of Aus
Mika

Just digging into the Frozen story it says that Elsa possesses cryokinetic powers, with which she is able to produce or manipulate ice, frost and snow at will.

Brainstorming a few effects I came up with a few ideas.

Here are a few, if you have any questions PM me for details:

Water poured into hand turns to ice.

Water poured into cup turned into snow.

Water suspended in an open up turned bottle.

Snowstorm in China

Also came across this cool trick on youtube, I don't know how practical it will be but it's an additional option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVAL5I-WtAQ

Now that's some direct ice, snow and water based magic effects that strictly adhere to the the Fronzen theme then but here are some other ideas that might work if your willing to take some artistic licence.

Fork/Spoon Bending- low temperatures can adversely affect the tensile toughness of many commonly-used materials demonstrate this by magically bending a fork or spoon.

Also some interesting facts can be inspiration for magic tricks, In searching the web I found a piece of information that said when temperatures dip below about 9 to 12 F (about minus 11 C), and you can make bubbles freeze. The trick is to blow them up in the air so that they have time to freeze before hitting the ground or another surface. The bubbles will form crystalline patterns and some might break, looking a bit like the shell of a cracked egg.

How does this help?

Here is a trick that allows you to physically pluck bubbles out of the air, just say you froze them before they popped: http://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=48613

You could re-theme the Anniversary Waltz card trick as you freezing two signed cards together.

Anyway that should get you started.

Magically

Aus
MediocreMagician
View Profile
New user
Australia
35 Posts

Profile of MediocreMagician
It's interesting that you bring it up as I've been brainstorming effects for a similar style performance coming up early next year. Some great ideas from yourself and Aus. Just to add a couple ideas that haven't been mentioned.

I was looking at "building a snowman" because everyone loves Olaf. This could be done with dove pans or a change bag. Just collect some of the things needed to build a snowman like a carrot, some buttons, sticks etc and put them in, and have them "transform" into Olaf. If you want to play around with it a little you could have him appear with his head on upside down or not built quite right if you're able to work multiple changes with your props.

As for others "Water and Ice" by Rick Lax (http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4499) is an effect I bought and have been playing around with. Not for everyone obviously due to the potential for mess but depending on your group and setting it could be a really fun way of getting a few people involved and creating a really magical moment for some of the kids when they feel like they've got powers just like Elsa.

There's always the classic science effect of instant freezing of water. Certain types of purified water (Fiji water is the only brand I've tried it with) or distilled water are able to be placed in the freezer to get the temperature below freezing point, but for some scientific reason that's too difficult for me to explain it wont freeze until the bottle is tapped or something is done to disturb it. If you look it up on youtube it's visually quite an impressive thing to see water instantly freeze like that.

As above, Snowstorm is a classic and could be a perfect closer. Same as I mentioned with Water and Ice, mess could be an issue depending on where you're performing.

It could also be fun to play up the idea of the gloves. As in the movies if she wore gloves she could control her powers so if you keep them on for earlier effects before switching to effects with snow or ice it might add something to the re-imagining of the story. Also allows you to bring in some glove effects with a perfect reason like growing gloves, or gloves to streamers etc. There's a whole bunch of different gimmicked gloves available to suit your performance needs. I'd love to hear how it all goes, sounds like it should be great fun!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Frozen (Elsa) theme (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL