The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Storage of tricks (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

radamwarner
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
177 Posts

Profile of radamwarner
An inexpensive way to store tricks until they are to be used, is to wrap them in diapers. They provide more cushion than paper or silks.
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Right, and maybe you can use maxi pads also.
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
You can store PROPS. YOU CAN'T STORE TRICKS!!! Tricks, like music, only "exist" while they're being performed!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
bstokes
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of bstokes
To be clear, I believe the OP is referring to traditional cloth diapers, not the modern disposable type.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Maybe so. --BUT, you still CAN'T store TRICKS!!! (cf. my post DIRECTLY ABOVE YOURS!!!!!)

The best (and simplest way to store SMALL P R O P S is in appropriate sized. sealed, zip/loc plastic bags. You can see what's inside without unwrapping.

Large P R O P S can be "protected" from dust with the plastic bags that dry cleaners use for suits.

Bill Hegbli will advise that you include the instructions (or at least a copy of the instructions, with date purchased, and price paid noted on the instructions.

Wooden props can be adversely affected by heat and humidity. Metal props, ditto, by dampness.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22892 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, a famous magician stored his props in boxes in an attack. Took some out that were there for years, everyone was totally useless, needed to be completely refurbished, it is was to be used. I am talking Hamilton, Thayer, and the like.

Wifes, get that junk out of my house. One wife of a deceased magician, recently, took 3 boxes of magic tricks and gave it to the local magic shop. It was all Thayer and P&L stuff, along with some German metal items. She lost about $10,000 just because she did not want the stuff in her house.
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
You can store PROPS. YOU CAN'T STORE TRICKS!!! Tricks, like music, only "exist" while they're being performed!

Hey Dick -

With all due respect... I have both magic tricks and music stored.

I have music stored on an mp3 player and CD's as well as on those funny round discs called vinyl records.
I have magic tricks stored on thumb-drives as well as external hard drives.

So, yes magic can be stored as well as music !

Have a Great Christmas !
I hope you get a big dead horse so you can beat it to death !

Sorry but I couldn't help myself Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hello Steve!

I'm not an engineer. Especially, I'm not a sonic engineer! Here comes the "but": But, I don't think those mp3s and/or CDs store SOUNDS. I THINK that they store electronic signals which can become sound. (Engineers! feel free to "chime" in.) When I was a kid listening to music on our hand cranked Victrola, I think that the sound didn't "come" from electronics either. I think that those needles received vibrations from the "funny disc, and transferred them to a diaphragm. Don't quote me, I'm not an engineer. BTW, those discs weren't vinyl, THEN. They were a hard brittle substance that broke easily.

My dog did "tricks". I could take a photographic picture (with my KODAK!) of him DOING A TRICK. That was a "recording" of him doing it, but, it wasn't the trick. It was merely a static recording. With a movie camera, I could have recorded him in action, but, it would only be an action recording. Your thumb drive, or, hard drive only records via electronics a trick that you did.

Your "syllogism" reaches an illogical conclusion.

Magic "happens" only in the mind of the spectator. --and, it is not inherently entertaining, either. Have you invented something that can record THOUGHTS?

Well, Alexander Pope said, " 'Tis with our minds as with our watches. None go just alike, but, each believes his own."

So, if thinking a thing makes it so [!] It's a free country, continue to define essences as you wish. I was taught in philosophy that "essences are immutable".

I aint mad at no dead horse, and, I aint no Ebenezer Scrooge either. I do plan on celebrating Christmas! (not just a "Winter Holiday"!)

I've lost count of how many young magician "wannabees" that I have mentored over the last 60 years. Many of them are now full time successful performers. I think that I "learned 'em real good, so they would stay teached!

Sorry that you couldn't help yourself. LOL
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
For those who wonder what that last post was all about....

I was just teasing Steve (Taterini)on a/c he was teasing me!

(PROPS are PROPS, and, TRICKS are TRICKS==THEY AINT THE SAME THING.

PROPS AINT "APPARATUS"!!! THAT term was used when mountebanks put on a clean shirt, and moved from busking into the drawing rooms of the well to do, at the beginning of the "Age of Science". (They used "apparatus, and paraphernalia" to perform their "experiments!) To gain respectability, the mountebanks, "became" PROFESSORS, or, DOCTORS who "created a congress of cabalistic phenomena, experiments in high class prestidigitation and illusionary science"!

In show busines (in this modern era!) performers' stage equipment are called PROPS. The PROPS are used in performing TRICKS.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
(EFFECTS AINT TRICKS EITHER!

An EFFECT is what a spectator "sees" or THINKS he "sees", when a magician performs a TRICK.

I always know that when a "magician" tells me that he performs an "effect", he is a "first o' May", or a "JCL" (Johnny Come Lately".)

Then, I know to "BC" (Be Careful) -- old carny term, and I guard my speech.

I was playing a mall in Detroit, about 35 years ago. A REAL "HAMateur" walked up after I finished a set, and began asking all sorts of questions about the business. (stuff that no professional would discuss with a non professional). Karrell Fox was standing nearby, and, overheard the guy's questions.(It was something about financial arrangements.) Karrell slipped up, and whispered: "BC!" I nodded to Karrell that I had realized already what the guy was. I blew him off as soon as I could.

When you're "with it, and for it, and, not up against it", a real carny will tip the "work", (here comes the "but": Don't try to bluff your way "in".)
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5511 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I've amassed a fair-sized collection of vintage collectible magic that I'm very grateful to own, and happy to keep these props displayed properly and safe for future generations to appreciate. My biggest regret, and one I am working to correct, is not recording prices with the instructions as Mr. Hegbli (via Mr. Oslund) suggests. It's a smart, smart move mainly to recoup at least your cash outlay when you go to resell an item...or worse, when your widow does.

I am also going to make a point to give my wife some instructions with whom to contact regarding properly selling the props, as they are worth a tidy sum. Unless I hear differently, I would ask her to pursue a reputable auction house (Potter & Potter, Martinka, Haversat Ewing etc.), and hopefully have the collection sold at auction with the auctioneers making a commission verses selling the collection to them for a lump sum which will always lead to a loss.

Anyway, that's my plan for now. Of course, I would prefer to continue to live and enjoy my toys.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Wiz!
YES! About 30 years ago, I stopped to see the late Theo. Claflin, who had a small magic shop in Fostoria, Ohio. He asked, "You heading south?" "Yup." "If you have time, stop in (small town a few miles south of Fostoria). XXXX KXXXXXkk (I've forgotten his name) died last month, and he had a lot of props, etc., and his wife wants to sell it."

I stopped, and, his widow was glad to see me! Her husband had been a "magic enthusiast" who could easily afford to indulge his interest! --and, he had!!! The nicely finished basement looked like "backstage" at a magicians' convention!!! Several big props like Temple of Benares, Super X, and an assortment of square circles (Abbott's "Big One" and, several Grant, and Abbott "little ones")and dove pans, ETC. You could hardly walk through the mess. There was easily $5,000 worth of props, books, and miscellaneous gimmicks. Parts of props were scattered around. --Swords for the Temple were piled in one area, but the Temple was across the room! Instructions for the stuff, were heaped in a box. It was like a tornado had scattered everything. It would have taken a couple of weeks to sort, and organize the mess.

The widow had no idea of where to start! I picked out several items that I could possibly use, and offered her a fair price, which she accepted, and, suggested that she call several dealers who handled estates. I explained that they would offer about 10 % of the retail value, as they would need to spend a week, sorting and assembling , packing and hauling, and then, advertising and selling the stuff.

Over the years, I had bought several estates from widows of friends, and, I had had "experience" in disposing of props and books, at Collectors' Weekends, etc., so I knew the problem she faced.

As of last summer, I've been "REorganizing" MY "accumulation"! of 70 years!!! I always had it somewhat organized, but, I'm now sorting, and disposing of props books, and assorted "sams" (FLOT & JET!) which I will never use again. Probably the biggest challenge will be several cases of "memorabilia"!

Bill Hegbli "nudged" me into this project, last year! (Thanks Bill!!!)

So! you are wise, Wiz to START! I agree, Gabe Fajuri at Potter & Potter, whom I've known since he was in high school, is, for example, an honest guy.

So! Write up an inventory with "prices". Assemble "pieces", in one box, bag, or "?". Put instructions with the item. Make a list of potential people to contact.

I, too, enjoy an evening, reminiscing, and "playing with" props, but, I have realized, at 84, that, I may have a booking on the "big circuit" one of these days!

Dick
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Semantic change (also semantic shift, semantic progression or semantic drift) is the evolution of word usage — usually to the point that the modern meaning is radically different from the original usage. In diachronic (or historical) linguistics, semantic change is a change in one of the meanings of a word. Every word has a variety of senses and connotations, which can be added, removed, or altered over time, often to the extent that cognates across space and time have very different meanings.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Dan! Now, THAT'S a "cool" statement! *hee hee)
Chano
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Chano
I put most of my props in individual ziplock bags with their instructions, and then put those in labeled shoe boxes by type inside of a large trunk. I usually have a shoe box with things I use all the time handy though. Mostly cards and basic mentalism stuff.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Right Chano!
The "key" is ORGANIZATION!

Bill Hegbli also recommends that you write the price you paid for the PROP (thanks for using the correct term!)and, the date you purchased it.

Also...DON'T store stuff in a HOT ATTIC, OR A COLD, DAMP BASEMENT!

When you say, "by type", that can be confusing. --e.g.: I have a duplicate file of instruction sheets, separate from the props. The instructions are filed by EFFECT! PRODUCTION,VANISH, RESTORATION, PENETRATION, TRANSPOSITION, TRANSFORMATION, LEVITATION/ANIMATION, COMEDY/GAGS, UTILITY (TTs, dye tubes, etc., COMBINATION (e.g. Egg Bag)

If I sell a prop, I keep a copy of the instructions for reference.

CARD TRICKS--I don't do much with cards, but, they would need sorting by basic effect, too. I guess you would need to be a cardician, to do THAT!
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Quote:
CARD TRICKS--I don't do much with cards, but, they would need sorting by basic effect, too. I guess you would need to be a cardician, to do THAT!

You can't store card TRICKS.
You CAN store CARDS or PASTEBOARDS FOR PERFORMANCES.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
1o/4! I didn't express that very well!

In the previous post, I was talking about filing instructions! When I wrote the follow up post, I wasn't "watching for antecedent references! ("they" referred to instruction sheets!).

Over the years, I've purchased many estates, and, previous owners in many cases, were either cardicians, or "almost"! At present, the various instruction sheets are just a "pile", not a file!!! Since, as noted, I file instructions for specific tricks, and props, by EFFECT, when I began to file instructions for card tricks and/or props, I was somewhat stymied (sp?)

A card sword inst. sheet, could be filed under "production" I suppose, and rising cards could be "animation".

The only cards in my act, are fancy shuffles, and, occasionally ("Cards across". (Cards across is under "transposition")

I haven't really thought about tricks like "Premonition", or, "OOTW". I suppose "mental" would suffice.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Way too complicated.
I just store everything in a box labeled "Stuff."
by EVILDAN....
PM me for more info.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Darn! I never thought of THAT!

It might be a trifle classier, if you spelled that: "STUPH"!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Storage of tricks (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL