The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 5 yr old savant from LA displays signs of being telepathic- studied by scientists (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
DutchFrank
View Profile
Special user
Has a fence with
541 Posts

Profile of DutchFrank
The fact that mom asks: what did you say? (Although it was clear what he said) before the last digit is named, could cue the boy. This should not be allowed in a serious test.
Forgive me any language mistakes.

I'm Dutch.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
It would be easy to test correctly though, eh...

and Dr. Powell has some interesting beliefs which could well bias any test or data she writes up...

i am useless at maths, so the first step is the random choice of 5 cards, then the random order...so does that affect the chances? as in, there's four of each value in the deck, the chances of them being selected, then the guessing...or does that not come into it?

i'm sure they could just use number cards...

and I'm wondering that if this is fake, then its more down to an internalised counting? maybe? maybe not...
I've asked to be banned
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
It would be very difficult to conduct a controlled test if the child needs to communicate with the mother. Randomising the targets is the easy bit. It doesn't matter that playing cards are used as long as the values match those randomly generated.

The real problem is how to eliminate the possibility of covert (possibly unconscious) cueing by the mother.

To me, it is all too reminiscent of Clever Hans

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clever_Hans

Mike
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Maybe a one way mirror for the boy, and a light or buzzer?
I've asked to be banned
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
As the article indicates, this individual is only one of several Dr. Powell has studied. Controlled tests have already been performed and the controls are being tightened. The reason us that autistic people respond poorly to change, so it takes time to introduce the necessary changes in their environment. Many objections here have been addressed within the current limitations. The research has been published in peer reviewed journals and the work is ongoing. One reason this particular scenario is interesting is because autistic persons are
incapable of lying.
John
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 6, 2015, jstreiff wrote:
The research has been published in peer reviewed journals

I can't find evidence of any peer reviewed publications on this research. Dr Powell gave a conference presentation to the Parapsychological Association in 2014, but conference presentations are not subject to rigorous review.

Her website seems to suggest she is more interested in making a documentary than publishing peer-reviewed research.

Mike
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Dr. Powell first experience was with a mentalist performing a book test... and then... blah...blah... blah... here's a little history of the unbiased Dr. Powell...

http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=23868
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2015, Al Desmond wrote:
Dr. Powell first experience was with a mentalist performing a book test... and then... blah...blah... blah... here's a little history of the unbiased Dr. Powell...

This link appears pretty biased as well.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2015, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2015, Al Desmond wrote:

This link appears pretty biased as well.

I posted the link for the historical info about Dr. Powell. It's a skeptics site, of course they are biased. But the info about her past, her childhood, are verbatim quotes. That's what's important. I didn't think you would miss that?

She is not a unbiased "scientist." That's the point (and a fact).

So deflecting and saying "link appears pretty biased as well," doesn't change her background.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Not deflecting, stating my opinion of the link and what is posted there.

I find it rather amusing that one would comment on a person's bias by pointing to a bias site posting a rather bias thread on that person. All points were cherry picked to bolster the author's argument, I do not think you missed that. Smile

I did not realize my comments were not welcome.

As Steve Martin used to say, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zANvYB93u2g

;)
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Regardless of her background, she is doing what a lot of people from both "sides" do - wreck any kind of authority/knowledge/common sense on a subject by acting like a ***... if someone is a scientist, they should have the sense to make sure they cannot be ridiculed in any way on the subject that they are studying... it seems she is biased towards a positive result - so that rules her out (for me)...her authority is diminished by it....
I've asked to be banned
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2015, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Not deflecting, stating my opinion of the link and what is posted there.

I find it rather amusing that one would comment on a person's bias by pointing to a bias site posting a rather bias thread on that person. All points were cherry picked to bolster the author's argument, I do not think you missed that. Smile

I did not realize my comments were not welcome.

As Steve Martin used to say, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zANvYB93u2g

;)

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
The problem with "so called" SKEPTICS is that they are into DENIAL rather than critical doubt. Instead of critical thinking they dogmatically deny the validity of the situation. Kind of like the difference between an agnostic and an atheist. That's why people call them Pseudo-Skeptics.

It is possible that a code exists between the mother and child, although the child seemed pretty disinterested in what the mother was doing. I would like to have seen the demonstration myself. But just because the possibility exists does NOT make it a Probability. AND probability doesn't mean it's a FACT. And Facts aren't always Proof. So..... this is where the illogical thinking kicks in....Pseudo-skeptics rush from POSSIBILITY to PROOF and claim it as 100% DEBUNKED .... And that makes me laugh. Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2015, Randwill wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Absolutely true, Bill. The abiiity needs to be demonstrated under controlled conditions, meaning he should not, inter alia, be permitted to see or hear his mother or any other friend or family member.

Agreed. Is CSICOP or any other organization of skeptics of the non-pseudo variety carrying out investigations of people who profess to have paranormal powers?

Investigations, yes, actual research, no. (They don't need to do research because they believe they already "know" what the outcomes will be.)
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2015, Slim King wrote:
The problem with "so called" SKEPTICS is that they are into DENIAL rather than critical doubt. Instead of critical thinking they dogmatically deny the validity of the situation.

Would you also agree that the problem with true believers is that they are into DENIAL rather than critical doubt? Because instead of critical thinking they dogmatically assert the validity of the situation.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2015, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
The problem with "so called" SKEPTICS is that they are into DENIAL rather than critical doubt. Instead of critical thinking they dogmatically deny the validity of the situation.

Would you also agree that the problem with true believers is that they are into DENIAL rather than critical doubt? Because instead of critical thinking they dogmatically assert the validity of the situation.

Ron

Most or many true believers rely on Faith, which is not something that can be seen or handled. Faith doesn't come from critical thinking.... It's a gift. (From the Unseen world)
So it's apples and oranges ... But YES .. Dogmatism raises it's ugly head on both sides of the fence.

A true Skeptic deals in Doubt and not Denial.

BTW ... Has anyone found any other video of her performance/abilities?
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
The work was published in Mindfield, which is a PA newsletter, not a journal; I had that wrong. I have corresponded with Dr. Powell, who is an acquaintance, and she has said that she plans to publish soon in a peer-reviewed journal. Again, the work necessarily progresses more slowly than might usually be case, due to the nature of the participants tested.
John
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 7, 2015, jstreiff wrote:
The work was published in Mindfield, which is a PA newsletter, not a journal; I had that wrong. I have corresponded with Dr. Powell, who is an acquaintance, and she has said that she plans to publish soon in a peer-reviewed journal. Again, the work necessarily progresses more slowly than might usually be case, due to the nature of the participants tested.

It's a potentially interesting line of research and I look forward to the journal report.

Mike
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Most or many true believers rely on Faith, which is not something that can be seen or handled. Faith doesn't come from critical thinking.... It's a gift. (From the Unseen world)

What would be your definition of "faith", in this context? And, what do you mean by "Unseen world"?

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
"Unseen World" .. The world we can not see. Even scientists claim there are other dimensions that co-exist with ours. In actuality , Science is Proving the Paranormal, and not the other way around.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 5 yr old savant from LA displays signs of being telepathic- studied by scientists (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL