The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » "Beginner" roving stunts? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mana122
View Profile
New user
Alberta, Canada
2 Posts

Profile of mana122
Ahoy! I'm mana, and I need your guidance and your big, beautiful brains!

I started fire eating just over 2 years ago, and adore it. For someone as clumsy as I am, I work well with fire (mostly thanks to my amazing teacher who stressed all the safety aspects, so cautious comfort is there). I have been doing more "advanced" tricks since day 1. No fire breathing, because I'm not comfy with that.

I've recently been asked about roving sideshow sets. Normally, fire is a very distinct stage set, so that's out. Same with glass walking... I did a bit of contact juggling, but am lacking in anything other than novice moves. I can do human blockhead and mental floss, but those can be touch-and-go with some crowds.

I have some amazing local contacts who can teach me all sorts of things... But I have no idea WHAT to ask to decide WHO to ask.

So, in summary I suppose, what are your favourite roving stunts?
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2456 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Man. No love for the new guy I guess.

Personally, I find it's better to think about what is exciting for you, and go for that. Doing what other people think is fun to do just ends up copying stuff.

What do you think would be fun to do? What would suit your style and your performance environments?

Personally two side-show stunts I use frequently are a very minor version of human pincushion and also the animal trap. I don't use them together, though. However, just jamming a needle through your skin isn't going to do anything other than gross most people out and sticking your hand into an animal trap is pretty much the same. You have to figure out how to make it interesting and compelling to watch.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
mana122
View Profile
New user
Alberta, Canada
2 Posts

Profile of mana122
Thanks so much for your guidance! "What's exciting for you" is simple yet fantastic advice.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
For roving, you need 3 or 4 things that pack small, and have an engaging story. You need to be able to entice people into your reality quickly (unless you're a good storyteller, and know how to drag it out), and keep them there. Then you need to be able to move to the next group, and go through it again.

It's not a question of "sideshow". The audience doesn't care. They just want to be entertained. Things with a lot of props or set-up, will just get in your way.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » "Beginner" roving stunts? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL