The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Paris attack (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I enjoy the way others want to claim how certain people feel and what the intent is. It must be a certain amount of superiority to presume to think for others.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
I enjoy the way others want to claim how certain people feel and what the intent is. It must be a certain amount of superiority to presume to think for others.

I'm not "thinking for" anyone; I'm just saying that I don't believe anyone who kills for fun and claims not to feel superior to that which he kills. That's one I'd be happy to bet on and let a polygraph be the referee.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I was sort of talking more about Laurie but ok.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
You guys mean to say that humans are not taught that they are morally superior to animals? You've never seen that?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Smile. Must've caught me in an overly defensive state.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I about expect Danny to disagree with me if I say the Café is green, and that's fine, let it stand, might open some eyes around here.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I tend to believe that on some level, anyone who hunts or fishes believes that he is superior. Most of the time those practices are debated on moral grounds, a large part of the argument hinges on other animals being "lesser" than us, whether in intelligence, lower on the food chain, etc. The supposed moral right to kill them (apparently) emirates directly from our "superiority." We frown upon cannibals and murderers, because they're killing our "equals."

I don't necessarily believe that for all hunters, meat eaters, etc. Subsistence, acceptance, appreciation, gratitude, recognition that we're all connected and we all get through by standing on the shoulders of others address that point. I see that acknowledgement blatently lacking on the part of humans quite often. In contrast, I think animals live in the now and appreciate life and the living much more fully and with obvious recognition of the circle of life.

Pardon me if I'm veering on a tangent, but to me it's all about life so I don't really consider that I'm going off topic... ever! Smile Something I've been thinking about lately is whether it would help if we stopped naming and numbering the days. ie. goodbye calendar. I think we'd see a huge shift in the way people think. There'd be an alignment with the overwhelming fact that each day is brand new and tomorrow it will be no more but if we're lucky we'll see another brand new day and realize what a gift it is right now. Thanks for listening. Appreciated. Smile
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
^^^But how old would you be?^^^ Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
But how would we know when hunting season begins?

:)
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Quote:
I tend to believe that on some level, anyone who hunts or fishes believes that he is superior. Most of the time those practices are debated on moral grounds, a large part of the argument hinges on other animals being "lesser" than us, whether in intelligence, lower on the food chain, etc. The supposed moral right to kill them (apparently) emirates directly from our "superiority." We frown upon cannibals and murderers, because they're killing our "equals."

Do you feel superior to your dog or cat? If you tell them what to do or try to modify their behavior you must be superior to them to do so. Otherwise, you would let them do what they wanted.

As to hunting, I think it's about what you view as food. Maybe that's being superior. I don't think about being superior to a steak, but under your definition I am. If you don't eat meat, do you consider yourself superior to the plant you murder to survive? I'm using the royal you here. Just taking your argument a little further.
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2015, landmark wrote:
What a dishonest post.

Really, which part? Stone crab is harvested by taking one claw. And, the CA killers were inflamed by their religion.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2015, magicfish wrote:
Quote:

What about people who purchase new development homes? The development of one farmers field will kill more animals than I have in my entire life of hunting and fishing.
But lets not go down this road again.

Good job...you've expanded my argument! There's another group of people who feel superior. Nobody would argue that he's entitled to kill a bunch of people to build new homes.

Good point.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2015, magicalaurie wrote:
You guys mean to say that humans are not taught that they are morally superior to animals? You've never seen that?

I have seen many people taught many things. As "humans" no we are not taught that we are morally superior to animals.

You painting everyone with that brush is nonsense. And to act as morally superior as you seem to with the way you post about it is truly strange.

Many cultures are taught to respect nature. To give back, to conserve. To paint all "humans" because of your own experience is naive or convenient or lazy intellectually. Nothing more.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
In the end, it's about what can be used. I don't think it's about superiority. We use animals because we need to. We use them for food or to do work for us. If being a user of animals is acting morally superior, then anytime you use something else, you will be superior to it. We only use animals because they are at the moment something other than us. We could still use covered wagons, but we have a better answer. We used to use whales for light, now we don't. I don't think anybody was making moral calculations. You may say the fact that used a whale for that is the problem. We didn't have other choices at the time (economical, available, etc). Now we do, so we don't kill whales like that anymore. Except Japan and Eskimos/first/native/indigenous. Are we morally superior the Eskimos because we don't kill whales? You got me. Am I morally superior to potatoes. I don't know, but I use/eat them. Complicated issue. Except for the Eskimos - they're wrong
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2015, The Hermit wrote:
In the end, it's about what can be used. I don't think it's about superiority. We use animals because we need to. We use them for food or to do work for us.

As an aside, we don't need to eat animals.

But to the main thrust of your point, I think it doesn't account for the specific example of sport hunting. There's a difference between having farm animals that work and killing something primarily because you find it fun.

stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2015, The Hermit wrote: [JEFF HAS EDITED HERMIT'S COMMENT TO MAKE A POINT:]

In the end, it's about what can be used. I don't think it's about superiority. We use BLACK SLAVES because we need to. We use them ....to do work for us. If being a user of BLACK SLAVES is acting morally superior, then anytime you use something else, you will be superior to it. We only use BLACK SLAVES because they are at the moment something other than us. We could still use covered wagons, but we have a better answer. We used to use whales for light, now we don't. I don't think anybody was making moral calculations....

Two things: I changed a couple of words to make a point. No offense, please. Also, I find any argument that says "I don't think anybody was making moral calculations" to be a rather weak argument against those who are attempting to make moral calculations.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I didn't paint everyone, Danny. "As 'humans' no we are not taught that we are morally superior to animals." is plainly false.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So I, most of my family and most of my friends are them not human? When do you stop speaking for everyone and start just speaking for yourself?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2015, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2015, The Hermit wrote: [JEFF HAS EDITED HERMIT'S COMMENT TO MAKE A POINT:]

In the end, it's about what can be used. I don't think it's about superiority. We use BLACK SLAVES because we need to. We use them ....to do work for us. If being a user of BLACK SLAVES is acting morally superior, then anytime you use something else, you will be superior to it. We only use BLACK SLAVES because they are at the moment something other than us. We could still use covered wagons, but we have a better answer. We used to use whales for light, now we don't. I don't think anybody was making moral calculations....

Two things: I changed a couple of words to make a point. No offense, please. Also, I find any argument that says "I don't think anybody was making moral calculations" to be a rather weak argument against those who are attempting to make moral calculations.

Did we eat slaves? I'm confused here.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7529 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:

As an aside, we don't need to eat animals.

But to the main thrust of your point, I think it doesn't account for the specific example of sport hunting. There's a difference between having farm animals that work and killing something primarily because you find it fun.

Well yes, I NEED to eat animals! I love meat, lol! On your other point, yes, I tell my three boys, "If you shoot a bird with your BB gun then you have to eat it!". Well- needless to say they do not shoot animals! LOL!
Check out Bafflingbob.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Paris attack (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL