The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rhonda Rousey vs Holly Holms........WOW!!! (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Is there more power if a shin hits someone in the head with its surface area much larger than a fist? Can the lack of speed make up in weight, hardness and mass?
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You were not a physics major were you?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2015, lunatik wrote:
Is there more power if a shin hits someone in the head with its surface area much larger than a fist? Can the lack of speed make up in weight, hardness and mass?

No.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Hooks rattle the brain sideways and do not need to be as powerful as a straight punch in order to KO an opponent.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Which of most of the big fights were fixed Slim?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2015, magicfish wrote:
Quote:

No.

Why is a .45 so devastating? It is moving slower and is definitely heavier than most handgun projectiles. This debate with guns has been going on a long time and has yet to be resolved. Which is more devastating lighter and faster or heavier and slower?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Not the same thing and what debate?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2015, rowdymagi5 wrote:
Of course a lot depends on who is doing the kicking and punching. A lot of old timers might remember Bill "Superfoot" Wallace. His kicking power was legendary. And I am talking about high kicks to the face. Bill Wallace was 5'10" and I have seen him kick opponants that were 6'5" in the face with tremendous power.

Yea the "all things being equal" phrase needs to apply.

Good point!
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
So now mass has nothing to do with anything.....wow!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2015, rowdymagi5 wrote:
Interesting video:

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f11/pow......1181427/

True - but misleading. What we are saying here is that a punch to the head is more devastating than a kick to the head. In the video the kickboxer kicked to the waist. At waist height the kick is more powerful. At head height, no.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2015, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2015, magicfish wrote:
Quote:

No.

Why is a .45 so devastating? It is moving slower and is definitely heavier than most handgun projectiles. This debate with guns has been going on a long time and has yet to be resolved. Which is more devastating lighter and faster or heavier and slower?

FWIW Isaac Newton said: Force = Mass x Acceleration
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
So there is only so much damage a fist can damage due to mass times acceleration? Is it possible that a heavier leg going slower could do more damage due to its mass?
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Lunatik, the physics are almost immaterial. The fact is that if you analyze fights, head kicks are less devastating that punches to the head. Because a foot or a fist is not a projectile, but is attached to a complex system of levers, Newtons Force = Mass x Acceleration is not the only thing in play.

At waist height the foot is more powerful but a punch still hurts. At knee height a kick is devastating, but a punch is laughable.

Another factor is where exactly the punch or kick lands. If it hits on the point of the chin the head rocks back and the knockout is almost inevitable. But if it lands on the centre of the cheekbone you can fairly much shake it off. The kick in this fight landed on the neck, again rocking the skull and doing other damage. But Rousey was out on her feet; a tap on the chest or a leg sweep would have brought her down just as certainly.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes it is not about one equation. It is about a lot of different things not dissimilar to a golf swing or tennis racket swing. Getting stuck in your head on "a leg is bigger", which is essentially your point, really misses what is going on.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2015, TonyB2009 wrote:
Lunatik, the physics are almost immaterial. The fact is that if you analyze fights, head kicks are less devastating that punches to the head. Because a foot or a fist is not a projectile, but is attached to a complex system of levers, Newtons Force = Mass x Acceleration is not the only thing in play.

At waist height the foot is more powerful but a punch still hurts. At knee height a kick is devastating, but a punch is laughable.

Another factor is where exactly the punch or kick lands. But if it lands on the centre of the cheekbone you can fairly much shake it off. The kick in this fight landed on the neck, again rocking the skull and doing other damage. But Rousey was out on her feet; a tap on the chest or a leg sweep would have brought her down just as certainly.

Like Danny, said, either a kick or a feather.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
I've never seen anyone who's been unconscious stand up.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2015, lunatik wrote:
I've never seen anyone who's been unconscious stand up.

I've never seen an elephant in the wild. Doesn't mean they aren't there.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Http://everythingfight.blogspot.com/2010......nch.html

Maybe this will help. From the article.

"Ok, I am not a scientist or some medical guy but I know a lot about this phenomenon called the knockout. Through research, experimentation and painful experience, I have gained enough knockout knowledge and will express it here in very simple terms.

A knockout is something that occurs after a physical blow which renders a person on the receiving end immobilized or disoriented. Although not necessary, a knockout often implies unconsciousness. Therefore, any kind of hit to any part of a body that stops an opponent from doing functional movements for a relative amount of time is considered as a knockout. A body punch can knock the wind out of you; a roundhouse kick to the face can make you see stars."

Can we move past the unconsciousness part please? Now you are fixating on the mass of the leg like you did with the unconsciousness part and it is blinding you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Perhaps we should question the entertainment value of brain injury.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rhonda Rousey vs Holly Holms........WOW!!! (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL