The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rhonda Rousey vs Holly Holms........WOW!!! (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yes but few expected it.

I'd bet that Holly expected it.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6487 Posts

Profile of magicfish
It was the punch that knocked her out. Not the kick.
She was defenseless when she got kicked, maybe even already unconcious.
She walked into a left hand.
Terrible mistake.
Full credit to Holly.
The punch knocked her out. The kick put her in the hospital.

And now the air of invincibility is gone. And once its gone, everyone knows you are human. Just like Hagler. Just like Pacman.
Goodbye Ms. Rousy.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Surprised the hell out of me!
I actually didn't even realize the fight had happened (I wasn't paying to close attention, I "knew" Rousey would win and that I would catch the fight later) and a friend shared the second round on Facebook and my head nearly exploded.

Seeing Rousey disoriented and dominated int eh second round was crazy, but when I saw the first round THAT blew my mind. I love that rear leg kick to the top of the knee Holm kept throwing (I know some people don't like those, I love them), but when she escaped the armbar AND got a takedown later on ....HOLY !@#$!!!!!!

To say that Rousey is anything less than a dominate fighter is, in my oh-so-humble-opinion, absolutely ridiculous. Not only are there not as many female fighters, look at how she won all but this last fight. Not dominate? Really?

I will be absolutely on the edge of my seat for the rematch!
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
She has lost a lot more than a match. The whole "this athlete comes along one time in history" thing is done. That will be expensive.

I am a huge fan of Rousey's skill (I have mixed feelings, love/hate, about what she shows of her personality), but I cringed every time I heard that.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5707 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I really don't get all the hoopla over this.

In MMA sometimes people lose by KO. Ronda got KOed, it happens yah?

I personally believe Ronda was overrated anyway.

I myself prefer the first few UFCs when it was truly no rules. When there was no time limit, no weight classes and all the illegal moves like groin hitting, hair pulling, eye gouging were all allowed. Those were really entertaining.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea the whole catch the fight later tint is what is killing the money. And later is now 5 minutes later! It has driven money steadily down and it keeps happening.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2716 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2015, magicfish wrote:
It was the punch that knocked her out. Not the kick.
She was defenseless when she got kicked, maybe even already unconcious.
She walked into a left hand.
Terrible mistake.
Full credit to Holly.
The punch knocked her out. The kick put her in the hospital.

And now the air of invincibility is gone. And once its gone, everyone knows you are human. Just like Hagler. Just like Pacman.
Goodbye Ms. Rousy.

I think it was the kick that knocked her out, otherwise she wouldn't have been able to get up and start to turn around to meet the kick. The punch knocked her down, but she immediately got up.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6487 Posts

Profile of magicfish
The punch knocked her down? Are you sure?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6487 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Just watched again. The punch did not knock her down, but it did knock her out.
Her knee briefly touched the canvas right after the punch which often happens.
A fighter can be 'out on his feet' as Rousy is here.
She doesn't 'get back up'. She is clamouring for survival and doesn't know her own name.
Then the kick comes.
Very typical.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Combat sports can at times lead to placing too much emphasis on one particular result. If we see the Reds beat the Royals, we don't think that they're the better team, because baseball teams play 162 games over the course of a season, and we get a big enough sample to place the single result in context. In boxing, when fighters compete far less often, it's harder to separate the difference between the fighters. If Frazier retired after the first Ali fight, all we could surmise would be perhaps that he was the better fighter; Ali won both of their other fights. Tony Zale knocked out Rocky Graziano brutally in their first fight; in the second, it was the other way around. Ditto Patterson and Johannsson. It would be easy to view Patterson-Johannsson I and conclude that Floyd didn't stand a chance in the rematch. After Frazier destroyed Ali's "aura of invincibility," Ali not only beat him twice, but also knocked out previously unbeaten George Foreman (who went on to take apart Ron Lyle and Joe Frazier after his own "aura of invincibility" was dismantled.

Perhaps in a rematch, Holly Holm will repeat her dominant performance, but don't be too sure that the Rousey era is over. Ask Max Schmeling and Joe Louis.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2716 Posts

Profile of lunatik
If I knock you out, you will be getting up off the ground. You will be unconscious. That punch didn't knock her out. Out on her feet does not mean 'knocked out'.

At any rate, the end result was her getting soundly whooped and dethroned. Great job Holly!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6487 Posts

Profile of magicfish
If the kick was never delivered, Rousey would still have dropped.
@Lobo,
I never said Rousey was finished.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2015, magicfish wrote:
If the kick was never delivered, Rousey would still have dropped.
@Lobo,
I never said Rousey was finished.

I know...not saying you did. Just a general comment.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2716 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Getting dropped is not getting knocked out.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2716 Posts

Profile of lunatik
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6487 Posts

Profile of magicfish
It is if you don't recover.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2716 Posts

Profile of lunatik
She would have recovered if a kick didn't follow up. If the fight ended right then and there and the bell rung, Ronda would have still been standing, not "knocked out".
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Ronda was effectively out of it after the punch. Had Holly not followed up with a kick she would have followed up with a punch, which would have been even more decisive (punches generally produce more spectacular knockouts).

The rematch should be epic, because we know how good Holly is, but we don't know how much Ronda can raise her game. I wouldn't bet against her.

And of course, we have Conor McGregor to look forward to. The man who didn't come to take part, but to take over. Got to love that level of arrogance, especially when he has always been able to back it up.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I don't like it at all. Arrogance is just annoying.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6487 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2015, lunatik wrote:
She would have recovered if a kick didn't follow up. If the fight ended right then and there and the bell rung, Ronda would have still been standing, not "knocked out".

I disagree.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rhonda Rousey vs Holly Holms........WOW!!! (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL