The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rhonda Rousey vs Holly Holms........WOW!!! (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20244 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
A mid section kick, and lower extremity kick are not a high kick.

Lets at least talk about apples to apples. Otherwise there is no point.

Delivering a punch right at shoulder height across to an opponents jaw would have been far more devistating. As for how power is generated why do you throw powerful punches from the shifting of weight? Why twist at all to get power?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2716 Posts

Profile of lunatik
I'd wonder if there's been any studies/measurements on the power differences between a high kick vs punch. I think there's a show out there that does have various fighters punch and kick and has measurements taken to see how powerful they are. A shin bone has a lot bigger surface area than a fist, it so is a lot harder.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2015, lunatik wrote:
I'd wonder if there's been any studies/measurements on the power differences between a high kick vs punch. I think there's a show out there that does have various fighters punch and kick and has measurements taken to see how powerful they are. A shin bone has a lot bigger surface area than a fist, it so is a lot harder.

Plenty. And at head height the fist wins all the time. At chest height a kick carries more power. A knee striking the chest, particularly if the fighter anchors themselves by holding the opponent's head, is also devastating.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2716 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Also depends on the person who's kicking. Not everyone kicks with the same power. The same with punches.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
A mid section kick, and lower extremity kick are not a high kick.

Lets at least talk about apples to apples. Otherwise there is no point.

Delivering a punch right at shoulder height across to an opponents jaw would have been far more devistating. As for how power is generated why do you throw powerful punches from the shifting of weight? Why twist at all to get power?

Tony's points make sense to me.
I'm going to assume that you're right too and that I'm just not understanding what you're saying. I'm not even sure we disagree.

My questions have been about your statement that power comes from base and that with one leg in the air there is less power. This clearly isn't true in low kicks when one leg is in the air, which is why I was confused and brought them up.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20244 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Look at the muscles in your legs. Far bigger than the muscles in the arms right?

Shouldn't a kick off any sort be FAR more powerful under any circumstance? But it isn't.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6480 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2015, lunatik wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2015, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2015, TonyB2009 wrote:
Lunatik, of course you can get knocked out and still be on your feet. In boxing it is the job of a good referee to jump in and stop a fight at that stage, rather than let a stationary, immobile and unprotected fighter take a devastating punch that could have life-changing consequences.

Rousey was out. She was standing immobile, making no attempt to defend herself. Luckily she got kicked rather than punched, or she could have been seriously injured.

Imo, being knocked out means unconscious. Maybe that's where we differ in definition.

Do you not know that one can be unconcious while still standing?

That wasn't the case with Ronda

A kick to the head can do a lot more damage than a punch. Ones leg is A LOT stronger than an arm in most cases.

I disagree
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20244 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The misconception seems to lie within thinking that strength translates automatically and directly to power.

For purposes of boxing and combat sports often a not too powerful combo can have incredible knock out power because of what happens physically to the brain and it sloshing back and forth. It is NOT always about just strength equaling power.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
450 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
I watched the kick a few times. From where it landed, looked like strong contact with the carotid. If so, that could have disrupted blood flow causing unconsciousness. Perhaps.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2716 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2015, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Lunatik, of course you can get knocked out and still be on your feet. In boxing it is the job of a good referee to jump in and stop a fight at that stage, rather than let a stationary, immobile and unprotected fighter take a devastating punch that could have life-changing consequences.

Rousey was out. She was standing immobile, making no attempt to defend herself. Luckily she got kicked rather than punched, or she could have been seriously injured.

Imo, being knocked out means unconscious. Maybe that's where we differ in definition.

A kick to the head can do a lot more damage than a punch. Ones leg is A LOT stronger than an arm in most cases.

I disagree

I disagree
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20244 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2015, Slim King wrote:
My father is 93. He looks back and says that he believes most of the big fights were fixed ... I believe him!!!

I am still waiting to see this nonsense backed up with proof.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I'm pleased to see that NVMS expertise is not restricted to climate change, economics and terrorism.

What a pity that we aren't running the world, eh?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2716 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
I'm pleased to see that NVMS expertise is not restricted to climate change, economics and terrorism.

+1
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20244 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

Excuse me but I AM running an evil organization. Soon we will be running the world, if we are not already.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

I thought that was supposed to be a secret Danny!
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
NVMS?
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 21, 2015, seadog93 wrote:
NVMS?

Not very magical, still...
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6480 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I disagree

I disagree

You disagree that I disagree? Please explain.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2716 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I disagree

I disagree

You disagree that I disagree? Please explain.

Yes, you haven't explained how she was KO'd.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20244 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
She got punched in the face a lot and kicked. I thought at least that much was clear.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rhonda Rousey vs Holly Holms........WOW!!! (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL